Puppy Going Bald

I picked up our new puppy from a registered breeder last week on Monday, he's now 9 weeks old and eating, playing etc as normal...

a couple of days after bringing him home i have noticed dry patches of skin on his tail and on his back (between his shoulder blades) but now its looking like he's going bald. He is scratching but no flea's have been found on him.. his skin is not red or inflammed just very dry and scaly.

I am getting a little concered now as the baldness is getting worse, the breeder said not to take him to the vet until his next vaccine which isnt for another 3 weeks.

I also got our carpets cleaned about 1 month ago but it was an all natural carpet cleaning company - so no chemicals were used on ouir carpet.

Any advise would be very helpful

Thank you :thumbsup:

post-28229-1240523892_thumb.jpg

Edited by lovemypooch

Take him to the vet. it could be demodectic mange, brought about by stress.

My pup got it when I took her away from home for a few days, to some dog shows. She was very unsettled and the stress brought on the mange, the hair around her eye fell out. A quick trip to the vet and some treatment got it set right within a couple of weeks.

make sure the vet takes a scraping and looks at it under a microscope before you hand over your money.

Many vets take stabs in the dark and end up pumping animals full of random medications. Also make sure your breed is not one that has an Ivomectin sensitivity as it can sometimes be used off label in the treatment of Demodex.

make sure the vet takes a scraping and looks at it under a microscope before you hand over your money.

Many vets take stabs in the dark and end up pumping animals full of random medications.

Agree with Nekhbet, make sure they do the scraping and have a look and ID the problem first. Some places will just prescribe antibiotics and steroids and that isn't going to help some conditions.

A vet check is needed !Have to wonder y breeder didnt want you to take him ?

very odd indeed. Especially since a lot of breeders encourage (and insist) that you take the pup for a health check as soon as you get it.

I have just come back from the vets and she was very suprised at how bad it is. She said its extremely uncommon for a dog of his age to be suffering from skin conditions. She said its highly unlikely its mange and flea's would not be causing it either. The dry patches are only on his back not under his tummy or paws. The vet didnt want to do a skin scrap because he is too young. She said to bath him in Malaseb and she gave me some antibiotics (clavulox)

She mentioned it could be hereditry.

The breeder said it could be from the carpet cleaning but considering its not on his tummy or his paws in find it hard to beleive... not only that it was a company who uses all natural products - no chemicals.

We are to take him back in two weeks and if things havent improved we will need to see a dermatologist.

Should i contact the breeder again?

Edited by lovemypooch

Speaking as a breeder I would definatly want to be told of vets diognoses(SP)!!

When you bath him makesure you rinse ALL the shampoo off,!

Hi Cockerlover,

I would have thought so too.. I have just emailed her now so i'll what responce i get - I just want to chat about possible hereditry conditions etc

Edited by lovemypooch

find a new vet - pups are NOT too young for a skin scrape all it is is putting a little parafin on the skin and then using a scalpel blade to scrape off a little of the top layer. I have a dogue de bordeaux who has had his share of skin problems and my first vet was an angel - she did a few scrapings before prescribing anything in order to not give him unnecessary medications.

she cannot say its not mange without a scraping. Having been a vet nurse we learned you dont 'presume' unless you have done the relevant test. A scraping under the microscope could have identified some fungal infections as well. Hereditary baldness is Demodex - which is cause by the Demodectic mite. If it is a bacterial infection then a blood test should be done to check the dogs immune system and thyroid function as such extensive baldness so quickly alludes to something systemically wrong with the pup as well.

Did she do a light test to check for ringworm?

why didnt I become a vet again ...

Edited by Nekhbet

Why not ring her and discuss it instead of e-mailing her.

Were the kennels of the breeder (or wherever she bred them) nice and clean? Did you research the breeder? Just seems a strange response from someone who just sold you a pup.

Edited by lovemypooch

find a new vet - pups are NOT too young for a skin scrape all it is is putting a little parafin on the skin and then using a scalpel blade to scrape off a little of the top layer. I have a dogue de bordeaux who has had his share of skin problems and my first vet was an angel - she did a few scrapings before prescribing anything in order to not give him unnecessary medications.

she cannot say its not mange without a scraping. Having been a vet nurse we learned you dont 'presume' unless you have done the relevant test. A scraping under the microscope could have identified some fungal infections as well. Hereditary baldness is Demodex - which is cause by the Demodectic mite. If it is a bacterial infection then a blood test should be done to check the dogs immune system and thyroid function as such extensive baldness so quickly alludes to something systemically wrong with the pup as well.

Did she do a light test to check for ringworm?

Excellent post! :wave:

I am so sick of vets prescribing stuff without a diagnosis :laugh: .

lovemypooch: find a vet that is willing to DIAGNOSE your dog asap..

Why not ring her and discuss it instead of e-mailing her.

Were the kennels of the breeder (or wherever she bred them) nice and clean? Did you research the breeder? Just seems a strange response from someone who just sold you a pup.

When we arrived to pick him up we were shocked at the living conditions, it was disgusting - i guess at that point we should have turned around and gone home but in saying that the breeder was very friendly and the pups parents are show dogs so we assumed we were dealing with a reliable and trustworthy breeder.

Yes you should have walked away and found another breeder. Do you know for a fact that the parents are show dogs or did the breeder just tell you that. Have a look at the registration papers, are the parents champions?

ETA I'm only asking because I'm shocked that a breeder who also shows could keep her dogs in disgusting conditions.

Edited by Miranda

find a new vet - pups are NOT too young for a skin scrape all it is is putting a little parafin on the skin and then using a scalpel blade to scrape off a little of the top layer.

:wave: !!! :laugh:

When we arrived to pick him up we were shocked at the living conditions, it was disgusting - i guess at that point we should have turned around and gone home

Indeed :laugh:

Thanks for all your feedback :wave:

I've just made an appointment to see another vet later today :laugh: i'll get them to do the skin scrape and check for ringworm etc, hopefully its nothing too serious..

As mentioned before i have emailed the breeder and explained what the first vet has advised inregards to the skin problems so i'll wait to here back from her also, im sure after explaining everything she will offer some advice or advise what to do from here..

:laugh:

I agree, find a vet who will do the skin scraping.

What a shame the 'breeder' had bad living conditions (you won't be the only one who has still gone and bought a pup from a place that resembled a pigsty, but we all live and learn).

I would be definitely checking the dogs registration papers though, just to be sure.

Do you know if he was wormed, flea treated etc? (by the breeder I mean)

If he had a poor start to life, you want to make sure he gets good nutrition and also get him onto a routine worming schedule, flea & tick prevention. :)