Terrier Grooming..

OK so Ive grromed this dog before, they like it stripped even though its a pet (Lakeland Terrier) last time I groomed it it took me a good hour to just comb out dead undercoat and matts...even before I could begin on stripping..

So I asked them when I left to get a plain metel comb and periodically comb the dog and get rid of the undercoat...

did they? NOPE

He came back for groom and strip today and I have just spent a good 2 hours on him and Im not done yet..coat was even more matted then before..Im a bit annoyed...

I think I will suggest they perhaps just get the poor little bugger clipped and not put him through the truama if they are not going to even put in the time to just comb out undercoat..I just cant see the point of paying money to strip his coat when they dont even want to comb him?

ok vent over, back to it! lol

Totally agree!!

Talk to them first, explain how much time it takes and why, and then start your stopwatch when you start to groom!!

The faster you go the more it tends to hurt the dog so take your time!

As Poodlefan says, money talks!!

I'm afraid I'd be telling them that the dog is clipped in future if they cannot maintain it.

I get also fed up with people who rock in full of instructions or wave a how to groom a *&&^%$ book under your nose when the dog is not maintained. Why some of them buy coated breeds I have no idea.

It is very frustrating.

Gosh Missymoo, I wish you lived near me if you're prepared to handstrip a Lakeland. I've been learning to handstrip our 1 year old and it takes me hours

If I was paying someone to do it I would expect to be charged accordingly and I would still be grooming at home in between. I find the legs, tummy and beard in particular get tangled very easily and need regular attention.

You're obviously not charging them enough!!

Edited by Drumbeat

I know I know, Im a light touch, Ive only been charging $70 :rolleyes:

next time he emails me in about 6 months...I will suggest he gets the dog clipped...

I only do grooming as a hobby for people wanting dogs hand stripped as of course alot of groomers dont do it (dont blame ya! lol) Ive only been doing about 2 -3 dogs a month and that suits me fine :rolleyes:

I have a few regular Cairns, an Airedale, Lakeland a couple of Border Terriers and a Westie :rolleyes:

Edited by Missymoo

When I was grooming and had those owners who wouldn't do anything between I would charge a fair amount then tell them if they brought the dog back in, say, 3 months it would be, eg., $40 but if left for longer it would be double that. Hitting the pocket seemed to work lol.

Definitely charge more, MM!!!!! I would be charging at least that per HOUR it takes you. If they maintain the dog, it will take less time therefore, cost less etc.

Can't believe they don't want to run a comb over their dog either :shakehead: it takes a few minutes a couple times a week. Good bonding time!

Yeah, i would be saying that next time i would charge by the hour. A lady from my work had her mini schazer clipped (he's first clip) and when she went to get her dog the lady went on and on and on saying how naughty he was and what was she feeding him and lectured her about taking him to puppy preschool. She was taken aback, she's a responsible dog owner and couldn't believe how this lady carried on.

As a Cairn owner ,I cannot understand an owner who does not brush their dog , mine is brushed every 2 days ,if not every day , I agree with raising your price or saying to this person that you can no longer cope with someone that obviously has no interest in looking after their dog that poor dog must be so uncomfortable :happydance:

Missymoo - perhaps keep all the dead coat that you got out of him (poor baby) and show it to the owner when they come to pick him up and ask how they would feel if they were not allowed to brush/comb/wash their hair for six months? Geez why do people buy some breed types when they are not prepared to groom at home on a regular basis??

Would tell them next time cost will be double since you have to fully groom him before you can attempt to start any hand stripping.

It sounds as though they are too lazy to do it and well, why bother, because you do it? (I bet that's what they're thinking!)

*Grumble.*

Sometimes the only way to get people to listen, is to hit them where it hurts - the hip pocket! :thumbsup:

Thats so cheap!

Slightly off topic here - I have two border terriers and do a mish mash job myself of handstripping them. They're pets not show dogs. In your original post you said something about getting him stripped even though he's only a pet. I have had the fear of god put into me about clipping them and the damage it will do to their coat - but really is it only show dogs that really need to be stripped? They dont mind the stripping and nor do I - I do a little bit every week so mostly they look pretty fuzzy. But come the middle of summer should I just clip them?