When To Install Dog Door?

all that glitters

Well Shyla has been having practise sessions alone in her big lino room before I go back to work on Wed, she whines and cries for about 15 minutes, then sleeps. We have a plan for a dog door which will give her access to the backyard, but when would she be safe to have access out there on her own? She eats/chews EVERYTHING out there, hay bits, roots, grass, sticks, I'm forever putting fingers in her mouth to pull stuff out.

So I cant imagine how someone can let a 8/9wk old pup go outside alone when they are so 'silly' ? Dog door access now would be good cos she could take herself out to go toilet in the 9hrs we are gone, but then again I don't want her getting sick, I'd rather clean up her messes than risk that

Not sure about the dog door Shellectra, but Bronte is doing the same, eating it all. Her fav, if she's out of Ziggies is bark, mmmm, yummy. Yep they are silly, but its all about chewing.

Bronte is outside during the day when I'm at work though and even on the weekend, when the sun was out she wanted to be out there. She loves outside, even when I'm home she loves it. If its dark and cold though she likes to be indoors with me.

I bought her a microwavable pet warmer and put it in her kennel this morning because I was worried she might be cold during the overcast/rainy days. I came home at lunchtime to find the cover across the garden, the warmer on the step out the front of her kennel and her cosily tucked up in her kennel. Go figure.

My pup (currently 11 wks old) has had access to his yard since he was 4 weeks old (I bred his litter) without any probs. Just ensure there isn't anything in the yard that you don't want destroyed or anything that could hurt the pup (bits of wire, nails sticking out of fences etc) and give pup plenty of toys and things to keep her amused with and she'll be fine. The doggy door is a great idea but definitely start giving your pup time outside, it's interesting, stimulating, there's loads of things for her see, smell, hear etc and she'll probably be a happier pup for it rather than keeping her locked inside.

Our pups are all free range from birth- we have never had a problem with them chewing/eating something harmful...mind you they are not in isolation like backyard -confined pups... they can see and hear the others... and have a very large area to cover!

yes, they carry bedding around, and sticks, and dog food bags.... :laugh: Puppies learn thru using their mouths the way a human baby uses its fingers.

Our pups are all free range from birth- we have never had a problem with them chewing/eating something harmful...mind you they are not in isolation like backyard -confined pups... they can see and hear the others... and have a very large area to cover!

yes, they carry bedding around, and sticks, and dog food bags.... :wave: Puppies learn thru using their mouths the way a human baby uses its fingers.

My guys were much the same, the moment they had eyes open and were on their feet they had access to the outdoors, granted a smaller yard to start with and then half of my back yard by the end. I also have had no trouble with them eating anything they shouldn't, granted the shrubs took a bit of a bashing but I didn't like them anyway! :laugh:

Edited by Seita

Well I may install the dog door ASAP then! I'm also worried about barking but maybe if she can go inside and outside she won't be prone to barking cos she wont feel 'stuck outside'

She's already done a few little warning barks when she hears other dogs bark :thumbsup: I try to correct her by saying NO, but nothing seems to register at her age!

All our pups leave here "doggy door " trained .They start at 6 weeks & run half an acre.They are no bigger than full grown chis at 8 weeks.

The longer you shelter her from the outside world the more scarier it becomes.

Also remember winter is yet to hit so using the better weather now to train & teach would be a priority for us