Dog Ate Doritos

I am so angry with myself for not keeping my left over packet of Doritos away. My dog managed to lay his paws on it and ate up about 1/4 packet of it. The foil was totally licked clean. Do not have any slippery elm at the moment so I gave him some psyllium husks (he happily gobbled up the soaked husks). Should I be worried? What are signs of discomfort I should look out for? I am worried about the salt content.

Guest Pandii

Did he eat the package or the chips

If it was the chips I would not worry

If it was the package I am not sure

I wouldnt worry if it was my dog

just a warning, i remember reading about a dog that died from a chip packet, put their head into it to lick it clean while the owners were in bed and couldnt get it off, i think it was a bull terrier as well :thumbsup:

He managed to flip the foil inside out to lick the salt off. But he didn't eat the package though. I am just so angry with myself for not putting the package away safely. He did drink half a bowl of water since he ate the chips. I suppose he got thirsty from the salt. He ate his dinner with gusto as well. I would have fasted him if I had seen the eaten chips but my FIL did not bother to tell me. I am jsut so angry. :thumbsup:

Guest Pandii

Mine eat chips quiet often, and biscuits and ice cream and lollies and what ever else the kids share, cant say the have ever had a problem

Giggles ate up 1/4 of the family sized packet. I suppose I am just over-reacting because he had never taken chips before. Good to know that they generally are fine with chips. Phewwwwww. I almost lost him to chocolates before so it kind of frightens me whenever such things happen.

Man, I'd be annoyed LOL

Me too. Bloody dogs.. I'd have to go down the shops for another packet... and lock it away.

:wave::rofl::(:)

Mine have eaten a lot worse before now.

Socks, toys ...

Once in the time it took me to unload my shopping out of the car, one of my girls once ate an entire bbq off the kitchen bench. Didn't know whether to be angry or terrified (or both), but it didn't do her any harm thank god.

Man, I'd be annoyed LOL

Me too. Bloody dogs.. I'd have to go down the shops for another packet... and lock it away.

I remember once coming home from work and opening a packet of Tim tams, only ended up eating one before i had to go back to work ( I work split shifts). I then came home later that night, did a few things and then remembered about the Tim tams. I spent the better part of the night looking for them, thinking WTF, i don't remember eating them all ( although i have been known to eat a whole packet in a sitting :rofl: ). I went to bed quite disappointed, still wondering where my choccie biccies went. I never ONCE thought of Kobi, as he had never counter surfed in his life. But sure enough, I walked out the back the next morning, there was the empty tim tam packet, seemingly licked clean :(:wave:

We had had visitors whilst I was at work. My sister put the leftover choccie bikkies into a plastic container with lid, and left them on the bench. I came home later to find the container (still with lid attached and bikkies inside) on Bianca's bed. She must have known there was something yummy inside, but hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to get into it

We had had visitors whilst I was at work. My sister put the leftover choccie bikkies into a plastic container with lid, and left them on the bench. I came home later to find the container (still with lid attached and bikkies inside) on Bianca's bed. She must have known there was something yummy inside, but hadn't gotten around to figuring out how to get into it

Haha that funny as...

Whole block of white chocolate here...stolen off the kitchen table from the shopping and discretely taken outside. :offtopic:

Whole packet of Heartgard chews...they must be yummier than I thought, and a bbq chicken from my boss's car when Karla was on location at a film shoot. :)

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

My Lizzy is constantly trying to take food off the kitchen Bench or if anything is dropped or food from our shopping bags. Unfortunately it is not that easy for us as she has EPI so any little thing she eats that is not in her strict diet will make her very sick. I just wish she would realise this! I have to lock her up when we eat dinner and i have to make sure dishes are rinsed off and benches wiped down and nothing on the floor b4 i can let her out again. Makes it hard with the o/h, as he will sit down in front of her and eat yummy food, she will jump at him and try to snatch it out of his hand..... which she has achieved success with this b4 with a chocolate freddo frog and another time a biscuit. I think he has finally realised now though how careful we have to be with her and food!!!

One day we will have kids and this frightens me, how am i going to stop a baby from dropping food etc!!! i try not to think about that at the moment! She is an inside dog and i would never turn her into an outside dog she wouldn't cope for a day!

My Lizzy is constantly trying to take food off the kitchen Bench or if anything is dropped or food from our shopping bags. Unfortunately it is not that easy for us as she has EPI so any little thing she eats that is not in her strict diet will make her very sick. I just wish she would realise this! I have to lock her up when we eat dinner and i have to make sure dishes are rinsed off and benches wiped down and nothing on the floor b4 i can let her out again. Makes it hard with the o/h, as he will sit down in front of her and eat yummy food, she will jump at him and try to snatch it out of his hand..... which she has achieved success with this b4 with a chocolate freddo frog and another time a biscuit. I think he has finally realised now though how careful we have to be with her and food!!!

One day we will have kids and this frightens me, how am i going to stop a baby from dropping food etc!!! i try not to think about that at the moment! She is an inside dog and i would never turn her into an outside dog she wouldn't cope for a day!

Apart from any other consideration, like her health!, IMO you should be teaching Lizzy that jumping up at people and snatching food really isn't on... what happens when she sees kids on the streets eating? As for stealing off benches - well you can stop that behaviour *most of the time*, and if you have a dog which will get very sick when they eat things they shouldn't, why wouldn't you do some training :rolleyes:

Once in the time it took me to unload my shopping out of the car, one of my girls once ate an entire bbq off the kitchen bench. Didn't know whether to be angry or terrified (or both), but it didn't do her any harm thank god.

An entire bbq! Holy cow! :rolleyes: :laugh:

Sorry I know what you meant, I'm just kidding :laugh:

When we were young we used to get our easter eggs in a box at the end of our bed ... Easter morning I woke up to a very fat and sick looking dog laying on the mat beside my bed.

Not only had he eaten all my easter eggs he had also polished off both of my brother's lot as well. He was rather sick for a few days and his poos had a nice sparkle to them (foil) and a nice rich chocolate colour. Thankfully he was ok.

He never looked at anything chocolate again after that ... instead he started stealing the strawberrys from the garden.

Edited by Tilly

Apart from any other consideration, like her health!, IMO you should be teaching Lizzy that jumping up at people and snatching food really isn't on... what happens when she sees kids on the streets eating? As for stealing off benches - well you can stop that behaviour *most of the time*, and if you have a dog which will get very sick when they eat things they shouldn't, why wouldn't you do some training :rolleyes:

The biscuit and freddo was when she was a puppy, she did not suffer from pancreatitis then. I was just saying with her condition it frustrates me how she still will try anything to find food, even though if she was to eat it she would get very ill. She is only a small dog and is never aloud outside where any kids are. Unless she is on a lead and i have a tight grip of her. I was walking her once in the park and she picked up spmething in her mouth. My partner and i held her down and opened her jaw and she had picked up a tiny teddy, we pulled it back out of her mouth My nieces know NOT to eat around her, same with the neighbours kids, i asked their parents to make sure they never throw food into our yard as it could kill her.

btw she was put in puppy training. But we BOTH work very long hours and i have not had time to put her into anymore training.