Worming And Booster Vaccination

giraffez

I've been given conflicting information so hope someone can clarify what is correct

With worming, is it every 2 weeks until it is 3 months old? Is this the same worming tablet that people give their pets monthly or is there a special one for puppies less than 3 months old? For example, I am planning to use intraceptor for dogs up to 4kg..... If it is every 2 weeks, would the dosage be too high as an adult dog usually takes one a month.

With the puppy booster shots, is it 3 puppy shots in the first year or 2? I orginally thought it was 3 but the breeders at a pet fun day recently mentioned only 2 - one at 6 and 12. Is this booster shot the C5 that is normally given to an adult dog once a year?

Hope someone can clarify as very confused.

Fortnightly worming of pups is done using one of the intestinal wormers such as Drontal, that only treat intestinal worms not heartworm as well. You do not use Monthly all in one tablets for this.

The vaccination schedule depends on the Breeder and their Vet and what brand vaccine they choose to use.

You need to discuss all these things with your Breeder.

Fortnightly worming of pups is done using one of the intestinal wormers such as Drontal, that only treat intestinal worms not heartworm as well. You do not use Monthly all in one tablets for this.

The vaccination schedule depends on the Breeder and their Vet and what brand vaccine they choose to use.

My breeder told me that he is using sentinel for worming, isn't this the monthly all in one?

Vaccination protcols can vary on what you believe.

When the first vaccination is given at 6 weeks the pup may still have maternal antibodies that interfere with the vaccination making it less effective. A C5 is not usually given at 6 weeks but is given at 12 weeks. Because you need nthe second KC vacination most pups are given a further C5 at 16 weeks. If the vaccine has been effective and the pup has made antibodies the then the 16 week booster can have no effect at all on the pups levels of immunity. I think in a lot of cases we definitely over vaccinate but with some dogs the only time they see a vet is at vaccination time so at least the get checked once a year.

After one of my dogs suffered from vaccinosis after his 16 week booster (which he very luckily grew out of to some degree as his immune system matured) I no longer give C5 and with my youngest dog the breeder didn't give the first C3 till 8 weeks as he wasn't being sent to me till 11 weeks. He had have a kennel cough nasal spray at 10 weeks for importation, but only had a C3 at 12 weeks and nothing till his 14 month C3 booster. He will now be titre tested yearly and only re vaccinated with a C3 if he needs it as will all my dogs.

The monthly tablet is usually for heartworm and definiteley need to be given. Some heartworm medication also kill other worms butb you need to read the package as to what they actually kill and worm adults 3 monthly for the worms they don't cover i.e tapeworm. Inteceptor seems to cover all the major intestinal worms as well as heartworm so for the worming at 10 weeks you could get a puppy all wormer from the vet. Some of the monthly tablets will also kill fleas.

Actually i'd say you could discuss this with your vet! They're the one that gives the injection, after all.

Your breeder will provide you with vaccination records from their six week vaccination from their own vet, which is usually a C3 or C4 - and your vet will be able to see what was given and when. You then decide for yourself whether you want to vaccinate against kennel cough ... if so, you'll need a third booster shot, if not, you'll just take the puppy in for the 12 week one.

Some vets are a bit different and only offer the C5, though... It doesn't really matter, just you'll be paying a bit more (if you didn't intend on vaccinating against kennel cough)... so if you've decided you really dont want to (for whatever reason) double check with your vet that they stock the C3 also.

ETA: i dont give mine C5 because i dont use boarding kennels, and because there are so many strains of kennel cough, the vacc only does two of them, why put their bodies through the extra strain :rofl: (i say, while i look at my snotty nosed boys recovering from kennel cough right now.. ugh)

Edited by Bindii

I stopped at the vet near my home last week as I am getting a puppy in 2,5 weeks time, they give the second vac at 10 weeks and its a new shot, you dont take them for any more vacs after that for a year. Has anybody heard of this??

You need to talk to the breeder about what they recommend (assuming they have been breeding for a while and do their research). If they are not forthcoming or confuse you, then find a vet you trust (easier said than done) and go with what they say.

You will only get a huge amount of conflicting and confusing information here.

Me - I vaccinate pups I'm keeping at 10 weeks and 13 weeks then again at 12-13 months and not ever again for life. I don't vaccinate for kennel cough & I won't allow the vet to vaccinate for leptospirosis (have lost a vaccinated dog to lepto and later had a dog die on the vet's table within 5 minutes of being vaccinated for the second time for lepto)

Worming. Pups I breed are wormed every 2 weeks from 2 weeks of age with as many different wormers as I can buy (rotate them). They are wormed with this regime up until 3 months of age and then I only rarely worm (fecal count done first). Heartworm - I have only recently come from NZ where we don't have it, still researching for myself. At the moment our 3 have had the proheart 12 shot, which I will not be repeating.

Edited by Sandra777

I stopped at the vet near my home last week as I am getting a puppy in 2,5 weeks time, they give the second vac at 10 weeks and its a new shot, you dont take them for any more vacs after that for a year. Has anybody heard of this??

Yes, that's what Howard (my youngest) had.

The new one is probably something called Nobivac.

My little big man Rory had a 6 week C3, then a C5 at 12 weeks. My vet doesn't now do the third puppy shot, so Rory's next one will be at 14 months.

I usually take a new puppy to the vet for an introductory well puppy visit, pretty much as soon as they arrive. (Great chance for the pup to build up happy asociations - lots of cuddles, nothing horrible :laugh: ). That's a good time to discuss the worming and vaccination protocols with your vet.

The Protech C3 used to say earliest time to give booster is 11 weeks, they've changed this recently to 10 weeks, Fletcher got his at 10 weeks :wave: But it's always been 12 weeks and it's still fine to give then.

I'm planing to get some interceptor ahead of time for my upcoming pup. I'm not sure which to get. The smallest weight is 4.5kg - 11kg. I don't think my pup will weigh more than 4 kg. But is this the one to get?

I'm planing to get some interceptor ahead of time for my upcoming pup. I'm not sure which to get. The smallest weight is 4.5kg - 11kg. I don't think my pup will weigh more than 4 kg. But is this the one to get?

Wait until he's older before you use Interceptor, just use ordinary worming tablets while he's young. As long as he's on heartworm prevention by the time he's six months he'll be fine.

Wait until he's older before you use Interceptor, just use ordinary worming tablets while he's young. As long as he's on heartworm prevention by the time he's six months he'll be fine.

But the breeder is already giving him sentinel for puppies. So i thought i continue but without the flea control (with intraceptor). Is it okay to half the dosage?

Probably, but best to ask your vet. I don't use the monthly treatments.

I don't understand if i use intraceptor, why do i still have to use the worming product like drontal every 3rd month? Doesn't intraceptor cover the worming?

Vaccination protcols can vary on what you believe.

When the first vaccination is given at 6 weeks the pup may still have maternal antibodies that interfere with the vaccination making it less effective.

:thumbsup: Yes, this is correct.

Puppies get antibodies from their mum's colostrum. While they last, these protect the pup against infectious diseases, but also interfere with vaccination. Maternal antibody protection is lost between 8 and 12 weeks in most puppies, though it can occasionally be lost as early as 6 weeks, or as late as 16 weeks. It's important to vaccinate the pup at least once after these maternal antibodies are gone, so the pup develops effective immunity from the vaccine. Earlier vaccines are given just in case the pup loses maternal antibody protection sooner, as you don't want your pup to be susceptible to parvo etc for longer than he has to be!

I'm not sure what the C5 and C3 refer to, as I'm in a different country and we don't use that nomenclature here. I'll personally be vaccinating my next pup 2 - 3 times for parvo, distemper and adenovirus, then only every 3 years after that (and only then if the titres are lost). But check with your own vet, they know your local conditions best.

I don't understand if i use intraceptor, why do i still have to use the worming product like drontal every 3rd month? Doesn't intraceptor cover the worming?

You dont have to use drontal or any other wormers if you use interceptor coz it treats all gut worms +heartworm

You dont have to use drontal or any other wormers if you use interceptor coz it treats all gut worms +heartworm

So does that mean that the twice a week worming from day one is not required if the pup was on interceptor to start off with?