June Photography Challenge

Ashanali

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we have a Canon 30D and a 40D that have the most regular workouts.

We also have a 10D gathering dust, a Pentax *ist D that I now let my kids use (but it's currently with Pointeeblab :laugh: ) . An old 3mp Leica that the kids also use, a missing Canon Ixus that was used on a regular basis (god knows where it is at the moment though) ... then there are a few film cameras packed away.

Next purchase will either be a Canon 5D or a 5D mark II. Soon... very soon.

Here we have a Canon 30D and a 40D that have the most regular workouts.

We also have a 10D gathering dust, a Pentax *ist D that I now let my kids use (but it's currently with Pointeeblab :laugh: ) . An old 3mp Leica that the kids also use, a missing Canon Ixus that was used on a regular basis (god knows where it is at the moment though) ... then there are a few film cameras packed away.

Next purchase will either be a Canon 5D or a 5D mark II. Soon... very soon.

Great! Thanks for that.

Wow you have a fair range there!

I have a 40d that I was luckily to be given for my birthday. Its exciting to see the kind of photos I can take with this camera.

Now I just have to learn how...

Beautiful photos everyone.

Im going to have a crack tomorrow.

Im curious Rocco, Iltby, TeraNik and Ashanali - what cameras do you have?

I have a Canon 40D.

I attempted to do a panning shot of a train today while waiting for my train... I don't think it worked out. Oh well! I got some movement shots of legs walking past aftewards though! :p

I have a Canon 40D.

I attempted to do a panning shot of a train today while waiting for my train... I don't think it worked out. Oh well! I got some movement shots of legs walking past aftewards though! :p

Brilliant! Ok now I have to work out how to make mine look like yours....

I even have an old medium format camera in working order (gift from my grandfather. He bought it back in 1955).

:laugh:

Shooting weddings in film must of been a nightmare... :p

I recently upgraded to a Nikon D700 from a D200. I love it, it's my next precious baby in my life after Roc.... ;)

I even have an old medium format camera in working order (gift from my grandfather. He bought it back in 1955).

:laugh:

Shooting weddings in film must of been a nightmare... :p

I recently upgraded to a Nikon D700 from a D200. I love it, it's my next precious baby in my life after Roc.... ;)

What about that cute little ralph :o where does he fit in?

You got it TerraNik! :p Nicely done.

Now try it with a slightly longer exposure to get even more of the motion effect in there :laugh:

Rocco - Shooting weddings on film worsened my anxiety. I would take four xanax and dose up on immodium before I left due to nerves (and still drove ;) ). I have had panic attacks at weddings in the past. I had two cameras each loaded with film and you only had ten rolls to get what you needed. You figured that approx 5 images on each roll was going to be a 'dead' image... if you ended up with 300 usable photos to show the bride and groom during the proof session then you had done a brilliant job.

Shooting on film teaches you to get it right first time because getting it wrong and shooting willy-nilly just costs too much money. It's a great way to learn.

Another 40D user here :p Upgraded from a 1000D in January I think.

Ash do you ever work with film any more? I would love to buy a old film camera one day and have a go. It might be an expensive lesson for me though. :laugh:

This challenge I wont participate unless I have something that fits, as I have another little project I want to start. But I will be watching this thread closely. I do enjoy seeing peoples work and ideas. These challenges have helped so many people improve, really fantastic. ;)

I went to the zoo in the weekend. Zoo's are not really my thing but I took a camera along anyway. I did manage to capture a parrot taking off. :p

3580953680_f1b3764c4b_o.jpg

That's absolutely awesome Rocco, the clarity is amazing and the editing is really effective. Love it!

I love the Seagull iltby, very nice :o.

Thanks Clover :angel: I was so stoked catching him coming out of the water with all the drops flying off him, hehe.

Okay, here is my first ever attempt at panning... Have I got the right idea???

And my 'back up' photo..

3588534878_b948e413a7.jpg

I really love this last one, it has a real 'hustle and bustle' feel to it.

Shooting on film teaches you to get it right first time because getting it wrong and shooting willy-nilly just costs too much money. It's a great way to learn.

Can't agree more, eta: especially if you're shooting larger than 35mm. The first photographer i assisted shot on two Hasselblads, running around doing location portrait sessions with him was quite an experience, i got pretty damn good at reloading magazines!

Ashanali what MF film camera do you have?

Rocco1 love the parrot shot. How are you liking the D700 and shooting in full frame in general?

Edited by ruffdiamond

Practice on cars, Shell. Or head to a dog park if you can... simply tell people there what you are doing. :)

It's so hard at the moment because I leave for work early and get home after dark - I'll have to go out on my lunch break and give it a go. I tried getting some shots today but they all suck - nothing even worth posting. I'm going to try and get down to the waterfall in the nature sanctuary tomorrow afternoon if i finish work in time so i'll see how I go then.

Ash: I wonder in todays world of digital photograpy if alot of skill has been lost. :) Prob a few photographers out there that wouldn't know how to work a film camera.... :laugh:

ILTBY: Thanks, I am not really that proud of it. :D It was taken at a zoo so it was all a bit staged and had a terrible stadium setting behind it, so I had to take it out. :laugh:

RD: I love my new camera and full frame. I dont notice so much when I am shooting but when downloaded I notice such a difference in quality. It's just a nicer camera in low light situations. I also find I am getting a photo in the first few hits then taking 100. :laugh:

ETA: TerraNik the last pic is fantastic. Love it.

Edited by Rocco1