Yearly Injections

Now its been a year and my memory might have blocked out things when it comes to money. But l dont recall 2 injections (heart worm and vacination) to cost $160 :laugh::laugh:

Now my boy is worth every cent to ensure his health. But is this a standard cost or am l funding my vets retirement???? :):laugh:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats about what I paid last year! This year I got breeders discount and had all dogs done together ! The vets generally discount if more than one and you are a member of a Club BUT I find you have to ask. The reason I was told is that thye Yearly Vaccs are the vets bread and butter, the HW Vacc got me as the second vet charged on weight rather than a flat fee and as mine are small dogs I was paying a HUGE amount! Worth checking out these options with your vet and others nearby. Also some Vets have Vacc days where its super cheap, like a vaccinationathon!!

J

Now its been a year and my memory might have blocked out things when it comes to money. But l dont recall 2 injections (heart worm and vacination) to cost $160 :laugh::laugh:

Now my boy is worth every cent to ensure his health. But is this a standard cost or am l funding my vets retirement???? :):laugh:

I wouldn't do the annual injectable heartworm. I follow a different (minimalist) vaccination protocol as I feel we bombard our dogs with too many drugs, but if you feel you must vaccinate yearly avoid vaccinating and treatment for heartworm at the same time. It's enough that the yearly vaccination taxes the immune system, but double the whammy with other treatments and it adds unnecessary strain to the system.

I wouldn't do the annual injectable heartworm. I follow a different (minimalist) vaccination protocol as I feel we bombard our dogs with too many drugs, but if you feel you must vaccinate yearly avoid vaccinating and treatment for heartworm at the same time. It's enough that the yearly vaccination taxes the immune system, but double the whammy with other treatments and it adds unnecessary strain to the system.

Music to my ears............Glad to hear your dogs arent victims :eek:

Can i just ask how often do use vaccinate?

"Use"? Ewes? :laugh: :wink: :eek:

2 x C3 as a pup. Because my boy had his 2nd C3 at 12 weeks and not 14 weeks as otherwise would have been preferred, I will be giving him a booster at 15 months of age. But after that, unless I find I have good reason to, I don't plan to vaccinate him again. If he'd had his 2nd C3 at 14 weeks then that would have been it.

Edited by Erny

There should be no need to vaccinate a dog yearly for parvo, distemper & hepatitis after his initial set of puppy shots. Vets used to recommend annual boosters, but they're now regarded as unnecessary by almost every up-to-date vet.

Ask your vet to get you a core vaccine that is licensed to be given every 2 or 3 years - there's several on the market. You can ask to keep the packet insert so you can show dogsport clubs or boarding kennels that you're following the manufacturer's protocol if they give you grief about not vaccinating yearly.

Will save you money, and nicer for your pup. :eek:

You can ask to keep the packet insert so you can show dogsport clubs or boarding kennels that you're following the manufacturer's protocol if they give you grief about not vaccinating yearly.

Is it likely that a boarding kennel/dog club will accept this? Some I've seen have been seriously stuck in their ways... the kennel I now choose to use seems a little more flexible (at least they accept a C3 on my own risk)

I'd prefer not to vaccinate annually, but had mine done the past two years in a row because of boarding requirements. Cost about $75 for the vaccine & check up which I thought was too expensive, I don't use the heartworm vaccine (not comfortable with the idea) so not sure of prices... but I am in Perth and prices are probably different.

Music to my ears............Glad to hear your dogs arent victims :laugh:

[/quote

Music to my ears to. :D

You can ask to keep the packet insert so you can show dogsport clubs or boarding kennels that you're following the manufacturer's protocol if they give you grief about not vaccinating yearly.

Is it likely that a boarding kennel/dog club will accept this? Some I've seen have been seriously stuck in their ways... the kennel I now choose to use seems a little more flexible (at least they accept a C3 on my own risk)

Depends on your club or kennel. As a private organisation or business they can choose to accept who they like, I suppose, but personally I'd leave one that wouldn't. :D

If even the manufacturer admits that a particular vaccine is good for 3 years, who are the club or kennel committee to say that dogs need the vaccine more frequently? Insisting that vaccines are given annually regardless of what the manufacturer recommends is just an obsolete tradition, and it's not good for the dogs. Kennels and dogsport organisations should be accepting manufacturer recommendation for vaccine duration, as well as titre results, IMO.

I have not vaccinated my dog eversince he was a pup--he had his puppy shots and on the 2nd vaccination he contracted Parvo Virus that almost killed him. At 6yrs old I had no choice because I was bringing him over to Melbourne and the quarantine requires full vaccination prior to shipping. I am now caught in a dilemma because if I were to travel I need him to stay in a boarding kennel that requires C5. His annual booster was due in March this year... :D I last travelled in Jan so he was still accepted in the kennel. I just feel kind of unsafe pushing the cocktail of viruses into his body. I do't even take flu shots myself.

Depends on your club or kennel. As a private organisation or business they can choose to accept who they like, I suppose, but personally I'd leave one that wouldn't. :)

If even the manufacturer admits that a particular vaccine is good for 3 years, who are the club or kennel committee to say that dogs need the vaccine more frequently? Insisting that vaccines are given annually regardless of what the manufacturer recommends is just an obsolete tradition, and it's not good for the dogs. Kennels and dogsport organisations should be accepting manufacturer recommendation for vaccine duration, as well as titre results, IMO.

Three years ago in NZ, the last Christmas I had the boarding kennels, one of the vet clinics sent around a letter to all kennels in the region that the vaccination protocol was changed and that many dogs would now be vaccinated every three years instead of annually so this should be acceptable to the kennels. I thought this was really fantastic of them - especially since I'd suggested the idea to them :laugh::rofl::o:eek:

Puppy shots x 2, minimal booster (C3) @ 13-14 months then nothing.

Not knowing any better my 3 girls had the 12 month heartworm shot last December (new immigants :D) but they won't be getting that again.

Edited by Sandra777

Three years ago in NZ, the last Christmas I had the boarding kennels, one of the vet clinics sent around a letter to all kennels in the region that the vaccination protocol was changed and that many dogs would now be vaccinated every three years instead of annually so this should be acceptable to the kennels. I thought this was really fantastic of them - especially since I'd suggested the idea to them :laugh::rofl::o:eek:

That was great of you to suggest it (and of them to write it!) :D Hopefully more kennels will start to play ball as the new protocols become more widely accepted.

Cashew, if you really don't want to vaccinate again but have to use a kennel, you should look into whether your kennel accepts a titre test as proof of immunity (IMO they should, but some are a bit old fashioned about it). I don't know anything about titreing for Bortedella, but I do know that there's a good chance your dog will still show a protective serum Ab titre against CPV, CDV, CPIV, and CAV since you only vaccinated for those a year or two ago. If your kennel is willing to accept a titre, then perhaps someone local can advise you on where to go & what it would cost?

Just wondering, seeing as this is a vaccination thread, what would most of you do when getting a rescue dog from the pound with no vacc history?She's about 2or 3 years.

I don't do mine past the initial booster, don't like pumping things into them when they don't need it.

Will be getting her desexed when she arrives, but what about vacc?

Nina