Problems With My Shih-tzu

Set In Stone

Hi

i have a 7 1/2 month old Female shih-tzu and she has just come into season Yesterday.

i have had since she was 5 weeks old as the breeder wasn't going to keep them any longer (yes she was a puppy farmer but i feel in love with her so i bought her i know i shouldn't have but i did)

And so anyway i have had all her vaccinations done and yearly heart worm injections etc and she is very much socialized as i don't work i am home with her all the time and we spend lots of time with her and she comes for walks and we take her driving and to the beach etc and play ball with her all the time and plenty of toys and activities and my mother in law has male dog that is desexed that she plays with all the time so i know she is not bored.

the issues i am having with her since she was little and no one can work out is

she has itchy bum and skin etc and we bought this special shampoo from the vet and it still hasn't stopped her she has done this from about 4 months and she scratches so much she matters her hair and froths from the mouth and makes her hair all wet and sloppy and i have talked to several vets and they have explained that it is not her food or any anal problems they suggested it could be airborne but i don't get it if it was why would it only affect her from when she was 4 months old?

Also the other issue we are having she has did this since she was 4 or 5 months old every time we call her to come to us she runs away hopping and skipping thinking we are playing a game wagging her tail the whole time , when we try to reinforce positive behavior if we want to take her for a walk or put her in her create for bed time she runs out the doggy door in the night and all around the back yard running from me and my husband wagging her tail like its all a game we also tell her NO and its naughty and put her in her create for time out but it don't seem to make any difference or her to learn it was wrong? and we use to let her wander out the front yard with us the other day like we have since she was 5 months but she wouldn't listen when she was called and prompted that she was getting a dog chocolate she usually listens to us this time she run on the road and then ran to the neighbors and we tried to reinforce and give plenty of positive vibes and calling her name and she just run and run and got us to chase her and she wagged her tail but knew she would be in trouble as when we caught her all she did was wag her tail and lick us over and over so we put her in the create for time out and told her it was naughty what she did and not to do it again? is there any tips what we could do since she is pretty obedient and this is so not her normal behavior? could it have to do with her coming into season?

She runs the House all Day and night until it is bed time and usually this is about 10pm each night and i usually say to her come on bed time baby and she waits for me to walk towards her and then she does the same old running game right out side and making me chase her and no matter what i say or do she don't listen to me unless i corner or catch her and she licks me over and over? should i create her more often or is there something i am doing wrong?

Or Anytime i say come here bubby for a pat she looks at me and starts hopping and running down the hall waiting for me to chase her ? and sometimes she knows she gets put in time out for not listening to me when called etc we usually have a normal 30 mins chasing her to get her to bed or to get a pat unless she wants to come to u then u have to sneakily catch her unaware and no one here has ever hurt her or anything nothing but lots of love and pats cause the whole time she wags her tail and hops waiting for u to chase her..

Hope u can help out

Thank you

xx

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are experts on here who can give you sound advice, and hopefully will. I suggest that you and your husband would really benefit from having a trainer come to your home and advise you.

Maybe re the itching you need to explain more clearly to the vet what is happening, how often and that the shampoo didn't help. Tests could be done in case she has a contact allergy - for instance, a ground cover, the carpet or even the detergent her bedding is washed in might be the cause.

One thing I will suggest - when she starts the chase-me game, don't play! Turn around and walk away, totally ignore her until she comes to you. Yes, you may have to delay whatever you were planning to do (put her to bed, put on the leash and go for a walk or whatever) but she will learn that that game isn't played her way anymore. Even if you haven't meant to you both have been playing that game with her and she probably thinks you enjoy it.

It goes almost without saying that until she is 100% reliable to come straight to you when called, never have her out the front or in any unfenced outdoor area without a leash.

Although it may not have a bearing in this instance, some bitches get an urge to wander when they come into season, if you have her desexed that would no longer be an issue.

Shih Tzu's love the the run-away game. I found with our that used to have the best way was to turn around and walk away, call them but wlak back to the house. I would close the door and bang 5 secs later a dog at the dog screaming to come inside lol

Also i would suggest a lock on the puppy door so that she cannot escape.

I agree with ruralpug and get a allergy-test done, but also have the vet check her heart and do a stool sample.

what is her actual diet? I've seen vets say there is nothing wrong with diet when its blatantly the food causing it. Dogs dont scratch for no reason

NEVER EVER let your dog run about in an unfenced yard without a leash. She's in season, she's maturing and most of all she's a creature with a brain - nothing will stop her from running off.

Keep her on a leash. If you catch her you do not punish her.

she wagged her tail but knew she would be in trouble as when we caught her all she did was wag her tail and lick us over and over so we put her in the create for time out and told her it was naughty what she did and not to do it again?

1) the dog had no idea she was in trouble, doing anything wrong or that she was not meant to do it. You simply lucked out she never left your side all this time in the yard, you did not TRAIN the idea that leaving you = no no. So she tried it, it turned into a fun game and she has no idea she's doing something wrong in your opinion.

2) you crated her for the fact she came back to you happily. By the time you put her in the crate she has NOOOOO idea what you are on about

3) dogs dont speak english, nor can they be rationalised with. You may as well have read her a novel for all the good telling her not to do it again will do. Dogs rely on body language, tone of voice etc not conversation after the fact.

You show and lead them by example. Your on heat bitch should also NEVER be off leash outside whilst in heat for even a second, if she becomes pregnant get ready for problems.

Have her desexed a few weeks after she has finished her season. She has no more need to be entire.

What are you feeding her?

My Shihtzu (like so many others) gets the serious itchies, pulls fur out etc so Ive found playing around with her food has helped a lot. Diet makes an enormous difference to their skin so I am surprised vets have written off the notion that it could be her diet.

Why haven't you had her desexed? I hope you don't intend to breed her.

I hope you are keeping her in a very secure location untill she has finished her heat and is able to be desexed.

What do you actually feed her? Many dogs can be allergic to grains or even different meat.

what is her actual diet? I've seen vets say there is nothing wrong with diet when its blatantly the food causing it. Dogs dont scratch for no reason

NEVER EVER let your dog run about in an unfenced yard without a leash. She's in season, she's maturing and most of all she's a creature with a brain - nothing will stop her from running off.

Keep her on a leash. If you catch her you do not punish her.

she wagged her tail but knew she would be in trouble as when we caught her all she did was wag her tail and lick us over and over so we put her in the create for time out and told her it was naughty what she did and not to do it again?

1) the dog had no idea she was in trouble, doing anything wrong or that she was not meant to do it. You simply lucked out she never left your side all this time in the yard, you did not TRAIN the idea that leaving you = no no. So she tried it, it turned into a fun game and she has no idea she's doing something wrong in your opinion.

2) you crated her for the fact she came back to you happily. By the time you put her in the crate she has NOOOOO idea what you are on about

3) dogs dont speak english, nor can they be rationalised with. You may as well have read her a novel for all the good telling her not to do it again will do. Dogs rely on body language, tone of voice etc not conversation after the fact.

You show and lead them by example. Your on heat bitch should also NEVER be off leash outside whilst in heat for even a second, if she becomes pregnant get ready for problems.

Have her desexed a few weeks after she has finished her season. She has no more need to be entire.

Agreed on all counts.

TinkerBell, what does your girl actually eat?

I don't crate my dogs but I know that the crate shouldn't be used as a punishment. Dogs don't know what 'time out' means, all they know is that you're annoyed ... and it's too late after the actual naughty episode for it to mean anything to the dog.

It sounds like you really love your little dog. It would be great if you could reply to some of the questions as you will get excellent help on this forum if members have a complete story/history to go on. Good luck with your little girl .... oh, and welcome to DOL! :thumbsup:

Hi ll Thanks for all the Lovely Advise :laugh:

First thing is i haven't let her out the Front unleashed while on Season .. she use to come out the Front while we would collect the mail and take Rubbish out as does our other dog. and she now got into the habit of Running off while we are out the Front

and thought it was a game as both myself and Hubby would chase her but we don't let her out the front anymore without a leash now and we have not Chased her when its time for her Bedtime or when she needs to be Crated etc and she is coming to us now and we had not had to chase her once so thank you for the advise once again,

This is Her First Season and she is Being Confided a lot of the time and Running the house all day and night until bed time as she has access to the back yard which is fully enclosed and our other dog that is here is fully desexed etc so that is no Problem for me and i do not plan to De sex her Just Yet.

Second of all her meals Consist of Home made and cooked Mince with Veggies and RICE and Good o dog biscuits or Purina one Puppy dog Biscuits or My Dog canned Food and she eats SMackos And Chocolate dog treats when she is being rewarded for good behavior etc

I get the part now that she has no Idea that what she has done is Wrong etc so i have stopped the TIME OUT and started saying NO that is naughty but she gets i am annoyed i think but she comes to me for pats now and licks me all the time etc so that is good. :D

But she Loves getting our Attention now all the time and playing with us and Playing Fetch Bringing her Toys 2 us etc

In the front Yard she was Taught from a Young Age when we go out the Front to stay near Mummy and she listened until recently when she decided it was a game and got me and hubby to chase and catch her etc just thought i would let you know!

Also in this weather is it good to keep her Trimmed or Coat long ? i brush her every day and Wash her every 3 or 4 days so i hope that is right? She is My First Shih- Tzu so this is all new but i did buy the breed Book to help me out :happydance:

Hope this Helps every 1 for now

Others have given you diet and allergy advise, but I would like to add that you should stop bathing her so often. Dogs' skins and coats are not made to be bathed so often. Brush her daily by all means, but you are bathing her much too often. If she gets a bit muddy, just wipe her feet or around her mouth, but the bathing is just not good for her.

Others have given you diet and allergy advise, but I would like to add that you should stop bathing her so often. Dogs' skins and coats are not made to be bathed so often. Brush her daily by all means, but you are bathing her much too often. If she gets a bit muddy, just wipe her feet or around her mouth, but the bathing is just not good for her.

Hey thanks for the Advise, i did not know Bathing her so Often was Bad for her as my Vet did not tell me this when i told her she was bathed every 3 or 4 days etc so thanks for the Advise i will not bath her as Often. i do have a coat spray for her if she starts getting smelly is this Appropriate to use on her and won't cause her any irritations at all will it?

But will Just Wipe her Instead! thanks for the Advise :laugh:

Great info Tinkerbell! I'm sure you'll get lots of advice :laugh: My opinion on her food would be to get rid of the Good O's, Purina Biscuits, Smackos And Chocolate dog treats ... these could all be contributing to her itchies. Also, I think you're bathing her a bit too often. The skin doesn't have time to produce it's own natural oils which help to protect the skin.

Just my 2cents :D

... Glad to hear that some of the previous posts helped you :happydance: .

Great info Tinkerbell! I'm sure you'll get lots of advice :laugh: My opinion on her food would be to get rid of the Good O's, Purina Biscuits, Smackos And Chocolate dog treats ... these could all be contributing to her itchies. Also, I think you're bathing her a bit too often. The skin doesn't have time to produce it's own natural oils which help to protect the skin.

Just my 2cents :D

... Glad to hear that some of the previous posts helped you :happydance: .

OK Thanks for all the Advise, i if stop feeding her this food all she will have to eat is the Mince Food and My Dog and that doesn't seem enough for her to eat as she does like to eat on and off all day.and she likes to have left over veggies and roast meat and bones from us . what kind of diet or food should i feed her? and What Kinda treats is good for her ??

And i reliase now i was bathing her to often! so i will keep rushing her every day and bath her maybe once a week or something then and just wipe her off when she gets muddy etc

So thanks for all the Advise :champagne:

Hi- I wouls also suggest you stop feeding her 'junk food' like all the shmakos goodos, etc :D

For training treats- maybe use VERY TINY crumbs of hard cheese, or tiny pieces of chicken...

She also doesn't need her meat cooked! She is a dog, and they are made to digest bones and raw meat :happydance:

Try giving her some whole RAW chicken wings... or beef rib bones, with her raw mince (and only a tiny portion of) vegies :laugh:

Hi- I wouls also suggest you stop feeding her 'junk food' like all the shmakos goodos, etc :cheer:

For training treats- maybe use VERY TINY crumbs of hard cheese, or tiny pieces of chicken...

She also doesn't need her meat cooked! She is a dog, and they are made to digest bones and raw meat :cheer:

Try giving her some whole RAW chicken wings... or beef rib bones, with her raw mince (and only a tiny portion of) vegies :laugh:

Hi there thanks for the Advise :D

i don't give her Junk food all the time she gets it when she is being good or is being treated for something good :happydance:

But she gets a smacko when i go out and leave the house and gets this most times i do and when she is being rewarded etc :champagne:

she gets Chocolate when we take the Rubbish to the bin as part of her contribute to taking it with me etc

i will try the Cheese and Chicken as Treats but she does get a lot of Our left overs like Roast Beef and Chicken etc and bones etc and happily eats this.

she does have Chicken necks as a treat from time to time but i till try the Chicken Wings and rib bones etc but she will not eat RAW meat it has to be cooked as she will go Days with out eating and will sulk and not eat a thing if it is not cooked for her?? so she won't eat Raw Meat at all and i only give small portions of Veggies but she does like Potato she eats the left over ones and she usually only has one small bowl of good o through the day as she gets hungry etc

But she really likes Purina One Dog food? is this no good for her?

Can someone tell me what i should feed her as in meat and Dry food etc so i know i am doing the right thing :cheers:

i don't give her Junk food all the time she gets it when she is being good or is being treated for something good :laugh:

But she gets a smacko when i go out and leave the house and gets this most times i do and when she is being rewarded etc :D

she gets Chocolate when we take the Rubbish to the bin as part of her contribute to taking it with me etc

i will try the Cheese and Chicken as Treats but she does get a lot of Our left overs like Roast Beef and Chicken etc and bones etc and happily eats this.

she does have Chicken necks as a treat from time to time but i till try the Chicken Wings and rib bones etc but she will not eat RAW meat it has to be cooked as she will go Days with out eating and will sulk and not eat a thing if it is not cooked for her?? so she won't eat Raw Meat at all and i only give small portions of Veggies but she does like Potato she eats the left over ones and she usually only has one small bowl of good o through the day as she gets hungry etc

Can someone tell me what i should feed her as in meat and Dry food etc so i know i am doing the right thing :happydance:

Ahh, finally found it! Here's a link about different dry foods and their ratings - http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...amp;hl=dry+food

If your girl doesn't like raw, cooked is fine. It's all about providing the best nutrition and what works best for your dog. Keep up the chicken necks if she likes them. Definitely get rid of the Schmakos and Good O's! Maybe she could have a pigs ear or similar treat when you go out? For training, I use the Nature's Gift liver balls (from Woolies). Admittedly, they do have a little bit of crap in them, but still waaaay better than some others. They are little 1cm balls, but I cut them in halves again so they are very small.

Here's the Shih-tzu sub forum. They'll probably be able to help you with grooming questions ... and lots of other questions too I would imagine :champagne:http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...amp;hl=Shih-tzu

i don't give her Junk food all the time she gets it when she is being good or is being treated for something good :laugh:

But she gets a smacko when i go out and leave the house and gets this most times i do and when she is being rewarded etc :D

Can someone tell me what i should feed her as in meat and Dry food etc so i know i am doing the right thing :happydance:

Ahh, finally found it! Here's a link about different dry foods and their ratings - http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...amp;hl=dry+food

If your girl doesn't like raw, cooked is fine. It's all about providing the best nutrition and what works best for your dog. Keep up the chicken necks if she likes them. Definitely get rid of the Schmakos and Good O's! Maybe she could have a pigs ear or similar treat when you go out? For training, I use the Nature's Gift liver balls (from Woolies). Admittedly, they do have a little bit of crap in them, but still waaaay better than some others. They are little 1cm balls, but I cut them in halves again so they are very small.

Here's the Shih-tzu sub forum. They'll probably be able to help you with grooming questions ... and lots of other questions too I would imagine :champagne:http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...amp;hl=Shih-tzu

Hey thanks for all your lovely advise :cheers: really appreciate it. i have seen the link with all the dog food and ingredients in it now and it doesn't make sense to me though lol i just bought the Dog Food that was Recommended to me by AWL (animal welfare league ) and they suggested Purina One 2 me and home made foods we're good etc and told them all the food she was on and said that she is fine on that diet etc and she looks healthy so i Presumed she was fine :cheer:

But she doesn't like Raw meat so that is why i cook her mince and Veggies and Rice etc she loves that and some My Dog food won't eat any other Brands so i like to keep her happy and she likes Human food a lot when i give it to her. but i will Give her Chicken necks a lot more cause she does like it and its better for her and i never thought of Pigs ears.. thanks for the advise on that :cheer:

i have found that Shih-tzu thread and posted some pictures already :cheer:

So from what i Gathered the Purina One Dog Food is No good? :cheer:

Another dog that has its owners trained extremely well.

Get rid of all the crap and stop offering her leftovers. No wonder she is itching like crazy. Dogs were not designed to eat humans leftovers tho they certainly enjoy them.

If you must give her left over roast cut it up into small peices and use it instead of dog chocs and smackos.

Put her food down for 10 - 15 minutes and if she doesnt eat it pick it up and put it away and offer it to her for her next meal. No dog will ever starve themselves.

She is waiting for you to offer what she considers a higher food value.

I have papillons and a friend had my oldest girl for a few months. She was bashing her chicken necks and cutting them up into tiny peices to get her to eat. She came home on the weekend and was promptly placed back on eat it whole or dont eat it. She ate it without an issue.

If you want a pretty princess who has issues go for it but if you want a princess with manners stop playing to her demands.

I would also suggest you add some fish oil to her diet, salmon capsules are the best i think and available from the supermarket or health store as she is not getting enough oil in her current diet.

Tinkerbell2009a, your little dog is obviously very much loved and she sure has you wrapped around her little paws :laugh: :D . Shih Tzus have lots of personality and she certainly seems to follow that. It certainly seems that your get at great deal of enjoyment from her and it is great that you are concerned to do the right thing by her.

What breed is your other dog?

Don't stress too much over the food, but it is important you get her onto good quality food and there is lots of information in those other threads to help you. If you are interested to get her onto raw food, just try mixing the raw with the cooked in an ever increasing ratio, eg start off with approx 1/3rd raw and 2/3rd cooked and just keep on adjusting once she seems happy with that mixture.

Does your vet stock BARF or Tucker Time? These are prepared foods and very good quality, difference being that BARK is raw and Tucker Time is cooked. You could get Tucker Time to use as treats.

It is not necessary to leave food down for the dogs. Dogs aren't grazers, they eat meals very quickly and are looking around for more. Give them their food, twice a day and that's it.

Use good quality foods (eg chicken, cheese) in tiny little bits as rewards.

Tinkerbell2009a, your little dog is obviously very much loved and she sure has you wrapped around her little paws :laugh: :D . Shih Tzus have lots of personality and she certainly seems to follow that. It certainly seems that your get at great deal of enjoyment from her and it is great that you are concerned to do the right thing by her.

What breed is your other dog?

Don't stress too much over the food, but it is important you get her onto good quality food and there is lots of information in those other threads to help you. If you are interested to get her onto raw food, just try mixing the raw with the cooked in an ever increasing ratio, eg start off with approx 1/3rd raw and 2/3rd cooked and just keep on adjusting once she seems happy with that mixture.

Does your vet stock BARF or Tucker Time? These are prepared foods and very good quality, difference being that BARK is raw and Tucker Time is cooked. You could get Tucker Time to use as treats.

It is not necessary to leave food down for the dogs. Dogs aren't grazers, they eat meals very quickly and are looking around for more. Give them their food, twice a day and that's it.

Use good quality foods (eg chicken, cheese) in tiny little bits as rewards.

Thanks for the Advise! Yes i love her Very Much and she is Just like my Baby :happydance: and we share everyday with each other and she comes for Drives all the time when we go out and she can come and we take her to the beach at least once a week :champagne:

We have tried to slowly introduce the Raw food as you Suggested above and she still isn't interested in it she will go days without eating and will sulk and i am worried when she is not eating that she will get sick or something.

Sometimes she is so Picky even with some dogs Foods i have to get on the Floor with her to Hand feed her (Yes i know its wrong but she won't eat so this is the only way to get her to eat sometimes at least something in her tummy etc )

I Will look into BARF and Tucker time and see if the Vet Stocks it and how much etc Thanks for letting me know about them . But i have been Feeding her what she is eating cause my Vet said it was OK so i presumed it was :cheers:

Thanks about the Advise of the Meal times 2 .. i was leaving the Purina one or Good o's down for her to eat through the day but i will only Give her Breakfast and Dinner from now on and she eats before i do so i know she won't want my food or she totally refused to eat it and i will always give in i can't resist her cute little face :cheer:

And have some really good Advise on Treats now as i will Use either Chicken or Cheese as Treats etc so thank you all for the lovely advise it has really helped us :cheer:

Specially the advise about her Chasing games she is a real different puppy to day and is so much more wanting pats and loves and kisses and not running away to play chasing games etc

And i will not Bath her as Much so thank you i didn't know that! So Off Now to go to bed will check in the Morning xx