I Give Up With Training Diesel

Im pretty sure that you wont want to do this, but as for training methods there is motivational and there is avoidance.

I spoke to a great and a VERY sucessfull trainer and competitor in sch recently and she told me - if the dog has no motivators you either get another dog or you go into training in avoidance.

We were talking about sch at the time, but this would apply to your situation too.

She is however extremly experienced and I had seen how she trains, the avoidance trained dogs look happy too.

Its not something I would be able to do tho.

I had to just give up on training Rex, it was not for the reason you have, I just let Rex be and I enjoy him as a total pet. Love my boy with all my heart, regardless of competitions.

Yep, with those choices I will go the get another dog route and leave Diesel be. If he won't train happy we just won't do it. Does mean I have two dogs who I can't do anything with, bit depressing really. Well, at least I have one I can compete with, better than nothing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about pets as therapy but I heard that the temp test is quite stringent for that? While he is a lovely, gentle dog, he might shy away from scary situations/harsh handling/loud group situations. Plus I doubt they would let him with skin issues - he stinks :rolleyes:

I am sorry to read this :rolleyes: I officially gave up on my GSD boy too, he just wasn't fun to seriously train for competition like my others are, so he just gets to do the things he enjoys now and hes happier, he loves walks, car rides, going to the park, spectating at agility and free shaping random pointless tricks, never any pressure to perform or too much repetition to make him bored, and I enjoy my time with him more too.

You have been training Diesel in obedience for a long time, I would guess hes probably sick/bored with it apart from his health and apparent lack of drive hurdles. If you really want to keep training him I would take a break and then just do pointless things with him, like tricks, and try a different one every day or 2 so there is never too much repetition of the same thing and no pressure on you to make him perfect at it, see if you can get him to enjoy learning/training again.

WE have a Stafford who had had skin problems since he was 14 months old. He will be 12 next month. He gets very lethargic when his skin is bad or we have to put his medication up. I believe that having these sorts of allergic problems makes them feel very unwell. I suffer from hayfever and it makes me feel like crap. I would say that his general feeling is probably having an impact on his demeaner.

I would love him for what he is, a softy marshmallow smoochy boy. Some dogs are just not meant to be athletes. I agree with Persephone, maybe a visiting doggy to make peoples days a bit brighter.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well

Well, you've got one plus a puppy :rolleyes:

I'll put my energy into Kaos, if this weather ever improves so training is on and we can practice them, we might even try to do contact obstacles in competition next month.

I think Im going to give up on the adult tho, puppy is so much more fun, and not enough time for all of them.

I will try to get her ob title tho, she can do it, so why not.

But pupp, oh that is something else :o:o:)

One good dog to train is better then 3 shitty ones, and you have got one!

I'll swap with you!!

Evie has WAY too much drive for me- I wish she was a couch potato!

Now if we could only work out how to stop her and Zoe killing each other... :o

Damn, you got in first, I was hoping to offload one of mine :o

Hi Kavik. Whether there is a way of motivating Diesel to enjoy his training or not, you obviously aren't. So take a break and relax. Do the stuff you both enjoy (eg. relaxing walks etc) and allow yourself to chill. So long as you both enjoy doing this, then it is good and right enough. Who knows. Maybe things could change. If they do, let them. But in the meantime, don't try to force it as it is obviously not making either of you happy. Just chuck in a bit of obedience throughout the walks. Sometimes easy stuff. Sometimes stuff that is more demanding. But for the most part, just walk. Start enjoying. :D

ETA: Maybe Diesel isn't a 'motivated' dog. Maybe he is :laugh:. And if he is, maybe you're trying too hard. So the way I figure it, relaxing about it and going with the flow a bit can only be for the better, whichever way it goes. :happydance:

Edited by Erny

I agree with Erny.

I would also add, try just doing 1 sit and when he does it, go absolutley over the top with ppraise, then leave him be and go and train one one of the others or go back to making a cup of tea - whatever you were doing!

Hey Kavik - I have nothing useful to say except swap Diesel for Avery :D :

Avery looks gorgeous! :laugh: I can't believe he is still looking for a home!

I have however promised myself and OH that next will be another Kelpie :happydance: then possibly a Malinois.

When I was competing with the dog I had before, all I could obess about was what he was doing wrong. I knew in my head that I wanted a trial perfect robo dog. His 2% error rate kind of defined my relationship with him for a while.

But once I gave up on trialing, I realised I had this beautifully trained, fantastic and really fun loyal friend. Our time togehter was far too short. I know it's a bit disapointing, but I think the important thing is to enjoy the dog in front of you, and to ignore the dog in your head.

I had hoped Tarot could trial, and she possibly could, but I don't think she would enjoy it. Her nerves are not strong enough to handle the stress. Not sure mine are either.

Hi Kavik. Whether there is a way of motivating Diesel to enjoy his training or not, you obviously aren't. So take a break and relax. Do the stuff you both enjoy (eg. relaxing walks etc) and allow yourself to chill. So long as you both enjoy doing this, then it is good and right enough. Who knows. Maybe things could change. If they do, let them. But in the meantime, don't try to force it as it is obviously not making either of you happy. Just chuck in a bit of obedience throughout the walks. Sometimes easy stuff. Sometimes stuff that is more demanding. But for the most part, just walk. Start enjoying. :)

ETA: Maybe Diesel isn't a 'motivated' dog. Maybe he is :o. And if he is, maybe you're trying too hard. So the way I figure it, relaxing about it and going with the flow a bit can only be for the better, whichever way it goes. :confused:

We went for a walk last night, did some nose touches which he enjoys and a couple of come fores and he was happy :)

Hi Kavic

When my Mister Scotty became epileptic and had to go on medication it slowed him right down. Mister Scotty was so over the top being an Australian Terrier. I was disappointed that I or he couldn't do his agility and flyball any more. He lost interest in everything except for sniffing, sticky beaking by just doing his own thing.

I became frustrated and didn't know what to do. After a while I noticed as he was doing his own thing he was having so much fun. Watching him made me laugh and cry sometimes.

As he got older I had to put him on lead to take him for a walk because he would tune out.

Mister Scotty eventually enjoyed his retirement as I enjoyed watching him being a dog.

Don't loose heart, Enjoy your dog, watch his antics and try and figure out why he is doing what he is doing.

Mister Scotty also enjoyed doing some clicker training. He would go through all of his actions without me telling him what to do. The look on his face was priceless. Trying to get him to Speak was funny as he wasn't a natural barker.

Mister Scotty went over the rainbow bridge in January 2009 and I still miss him so.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity for rememering what he was like when he lost interest in doing What I thought he wanted to do.