Trixie Possibly Has Cancer

Trixie has a lump on her back. It's about the size of a pea. I had the vet do a fine needle aspirate? Is that what it's called? :laugh: Out of four slides three said it was a sebaceous cyst and one said it was a mast cell tumour. The recommendation was to operate to remove the lump. Our vet has estimated $700-$850. This doesn't include sending the lump for testing. I told him we had a lump removed from Ivan at another clinic for under $500 a year and a half ago and he said they weren't in a position to negotiate. He was totally nice about it and said it's entirely up to us if we want to go ahead with the procedure.

I like this vet, I find them thorough. consultations cost $80, but they last over an hour. I'm quite sick of shopping around to try and find a good vet. This is about our fifth one and we've only owned dogs for about three years! On the other hand, I don't want to be ripped off. Is the price we've been quoted very high? I can list the exact breakdown if it helps?

Edited by ruthless

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help on price but Diesel has a lump about that size too just above where he chews his flank :laugh: At the moment I am just keeping an eye on it. Told vet about it last time I was there, they said come in if it gets bigger. Said it could be difficult to remove because he chews the area and it would take a long time to heal.

Poppy also has a pea sized lump on the top of her right forearm. The vet also said to keep an eye on it and I've been getting them to measure it everytime we go back in there for other things. Its about 1.2cm at the moment. They also stuck a needle in it and told me it was fat...? Its been there for a long time. I still don't like the look of it regardless.

I hope trixie is fine and its nothing ruth.

Stormie, if I faxed your clinic the test results and estimate would I be able to get a quote for surgery without having to have a consult?

If Trix and Diesel get done at the same time could we get two for one? :laugh:

Can't help on price but Diesel has a lump about that size too just above where he chews his flank :) At the moment I am just keeping an eye on it. Told vet about it last time I was there, they said come in if it gets bigger. Said it could be difficult to remove because he chews the area and it would take a long time to heal.

Couldnt you just put a bucket on him? I got a lump off Atlas yesterday, he has been chewing it the last few weeks, bucket on his head and he cant reach it, i take it off when he is with me, but if i am out, it will go on. Its only 10 days till the staples come out, so not too much of a pain.

Stormie, if I faxed your clinic the test results and estimate would I be able to get a quote for surgery without having to have a consult?

If Trix and Diesel get done at the same time could we get two for one? :laugh:

i dont see why they wont?

I will call in sometime and find out how much Ats cost me (im still hiding from it :o )

I could put a bucket on him for a little while, but it is right above the area he has been chewing for years (no hair there anymore) - chronic bad spot for him. They did say it is likely to need removal, but the healing process may be difficult as the skin is in bad shape close by and he is constantly licking and chewing it.

ruthless

I like your idea of two for one :laugh:

Edited by Kavik

PMing you ruthless..

Unfortunately it's not really always that simple to give a quote and do a surgery without doing a consult first. It sucks, but you really need to have a good look at what you're dealing with and do your own examination of the animal before you put it under GA. Specially with lumps, you really need to see it first before you can give a quote.

I paid about $500 to have a pea sized lump removed from my 6kg dog's spine at the end of 2007. Was thought to be cancer but turned out to be a cyst.

There are some very good and reasonably priced vet's around. Mine appears to be one of the more expensive.

Not sure where you are located?

Hi Ruth, Hope it is not a tumor and just turns out to be a cyst. Not sure on price Cooper had a small procedure today and it was $174 I thought that was pricey but what can you do??

Trixie has a lump on her back. It's about the size of a pea. I had the vet do a fine needle aspirate? Is that what it's called? :) Out of four slides three said it was a sebaceous cyst and one said it was a mast cell tumour. The recommendation was to operate to remove the lump. Our vet has estimated $700-$850. This doesn't include sending the lump for testing. I told him we had a lump removed from Ivan at another clinic for under $500 a year and a half ago and he said they weren't in a position to negotiate. He was totally nice about it and said it's entirely up to us if we want to go ahead with the procedure.

I like this vet, I find them thorough. consultations cost $80, but they last over an hour. I'm quite sick of shopping around to try and find a good vet. This is about our fifth one and we've only owned dogs for about three years! On the other hand, I don't want to be ripped off. Is the price we've been quoted very high? I can list the exact breakdown if it helps?

Thats extremly high in my opinion, my GSD had a growth removed from inside her upper lip and another warty looking growth from her foot in April and it cost $280.25. I asked for no testing on the growth as the dog is 11.5 years.

It depends where you go as to price I suppose. My last short visit to the vet cost $66.

Last year I had to take another dog to Canberra for a needle biopsy and ultra sound for a mass on her lung. It cost $900 with an inconclusive result on the biopsy! I was no further advanced in knowing if it was cancer or an infection.

My 3 yo GSD has sebaceous cysts that will one day have to be removed.

I think it cost us around $1000 all up to have Jack's lump tested, then removed once it was shown to include mast cells, then tested again to show that they'd got it all and that it was a grade III tumour. The lump was near his waist area and they took loads of flesh with it.

:shrug:

ETA I hope you get some good news ...

Edited by Mooper

We just had a masts cell tumor removed from our golden retriever mix's leg 4 weeks ao yesteday. I am talking Texas here. Before surgery we had a full blood panel done to make sure there was no problem with liver, kidneys any infection, thyroid, etc. She was given an injection of benadryl and one of valium before going into ER. There she had a tube down there throat that divided into two and gas was in one side, oxygen the other. I was in the Or to watch the procedure.

She didn't want to go under and they had to give her another injection. The incision was about 4 inches long and took many satitches. After surgery she was given tetnaus injection. ..and they trimmed her nails (no charge for that) Cost for all that---$302. It was $90 to have the tumor sent off and tested to make sure a clen margin was obtained. It was clean.

The tumor was on the side of her leg, knee level. She ended up busting it open over a week later and I had to take her back in. They would not restitch it as it probably wouldn't heal, but cleaned it up and put her on 2 weeks supply of antibiotics. If I remember correctly that trip in ran me around $50 and that was because of the drugs.

I hope the lump turns out to be nothing for your dog.

My dog Fred had a lump inside his leg. The fine needle aspirate and analysis cost about $100.

The results came back as a mast cell tumor, so i decided to get it removed. They had to do a graft from his belly to patch the hole, took about 2 hours apparently.

If i recall correctly, the surgery itself cost about $500-600, about $150-200 for anesthesia, about $200 for the histopathology on the removed lump, and some extra for painkillers, etc. So all up about $1400 for a day in the vets, plus the $100 for the aspirate.

I dont know if thats high or low, but at least gives you a basis for comparison.

The pathology came back and said there were mast cancer cells in the lump, but very scattered, ie: not even a grade 1 tumor. It would have been but i'd caught it very soon. Odds are you're in a similar situation, there are mast cells in it, but not a lot yet hence it only showing up on 1 slide. Sooner you get it removed the better the odds though.

My dog Maisie had a pea-sized lump on her back, a lump under her chin and a large mass on her breast-bone removed in one hit last year and it cost us under $500 for the op and testing of the lumps.

I hope Trixie is OK and its not cancerous. :laugh: