Very Bad Dandruff

Hi!

I'm just wondering what we could do to fix a very bad dandruff problem that my parent's greyhound has. She gets kibble that is high protein & high fat (as recommended by GAP), with oil added to it, as well as a can of sardines/tuna & fresh meat. She seems very healthy & her coat has become super shiny & soft, but her skin is seriously flakey all over.

Anything else we could try?

I'm not sure she's ever been washed (her original owner said she never washes her dogs because their skin becomes even drier). Is there a shampoo that won't cause this to happen?

First step would be to take the dog to the vet to get a skin scraping so as to eliminate mites, infections, etc.

If there are no underlining problems then often switching the dog over onto a BARF diet will work wonders along with Fish Oil capsules at the rate of 1 capsule for every 10kg of dog.

First step would be to take the dog to the vet to get a skin scraping so as to eliminate mites, infections, etc.

If there are no underlining problems then often switching the dog over onto a BARF diet will work wonders along with Fish Oil capsules at the rate of 1 capsule for every 10kg of dog.

OK thanks - will let her know ..

try Groomers Evening Primrose oil shampoo, I would use the higher vet strength version on her. It is great for flaky skins and leaves a lovely soft coat after the bath. It can take a few treatments but you should see an improvement from the first wash.

There was a lot of sucess last year with a westie on this forum, so try a search to see the results.

Hello Pawfect

I bath my greyhound boy once a month (in the bathtub of course) with johnsons baby soap and then rinse with a herbal flea and tick shampoo. Combined with a good diet, he gets many complements on his coat.

I have found that a small amount of natural yogart sitting at the top of the tub in the direction I want him to stay in, keeps him upright and not sitting in the warm water.

And as with all dogs; get that bath sheet ready before you open the door (he loves a good teeth jarring, house trembling shake) before prancing around. My fault for telling him how 'purty' he is.

His ears get a clean with a tissue (with a little dab in oil). But his nails are done by a professional. He came to me with a broken toe and if you try to trim the nail he yelps, I scream and we both have to have a lie down.

I am no expert on greyhounds and just like us they have different needs and types of challenges I'm sure, but this ritual works for us.

Scrurf can be a result of insufficient rinsing out of shampoo.

Your parents could try adding a dash of white vinegar to a bucket of warm water as a final rinse. This will neutralise any soap left in the coat. Don't add too much though or she'll smell like a fish and chip shop.

Stress can also cause dandruff. Have they had her long?

how long have your parents had the dog? Many moons ago I was told that you had to wait for at least one change of coat after adoption to see if there was an ongoing problem. If the dog came from GAP she would have been bathed before being adopted out.

Is the dandruff all over, or just localised? I have a grey and she gets dandruff but just on her back - her accupuncturist told me it can be related to reduced circulation in the muscles of that area; she told me to up the amount of fish oil (Cleo now gets three caps morning and night) and daily massages of the affected area. It certainly seems to work for Cleo.

He came to me with a broken toe and if you try to trim the nail he yelps, I scream and we both have to have a lie down.

:eek:

I can relate, my pup cries when I try and do his nails which makes me cry and we both need some alone time afterwards. :rofl:

We usually advise adding meat or fish oil to the diet, but you are already adding the fish and the shiny coat indicates a good diet.

The next step is a once off treatment of head'n'shoulders or malaseb. They are both effective against dandruff caused by yeast.

Make sure the dog is not being brushed with anything too sharp that will scratch the skin.

Is she black? Black dogs can be dandruff pains. I recently had two black greyhounds here for a while - but they both had very different coats. One was always slightly dandruffy, and the other not at all. Everything else they did and had was the same. :) One has a really soft velvety coat (no dandruff) but the sleeker shiny one always had some.

I use Selsun Blue on our black tricolour Saluki, and wash him every couple of weeks. It works like a charm to keep it at a minimum. If you get any other skin issues ruled out by a vet you can experiment with the different diet additives and shampoos suggested until you get it suited just right to her particular coat and skin.

Thanks for all the replies - i've given the entire list of suggestions to Mum today.

They've had her for approx 7 weeks I think. I don't think stress has been an issue - she settled in just beautifully. Yes she's a GAP dog, and she's black (so it really shows up!). Her previous owner had never bathed her, and I'm not sure if GAP did because when my parents picked her up it was mentioned that it didn't look like she had bathed. My parents haven't washed her (yet), because they were a bit scared it might make the dandruff worse (and they're not sure how she'd react is she's never been washed before - so didn't want to rush into it).

However since she's arrived the dandruff has got a bit better, it is no longer on her tummy - just on her back now. Her coat has certainly improved and is extremely soft and much shinier. Since it seems like diet has improved it somewhat, they haven't taken her to the vet for a skin scraping or anything, but I think washing her was going to be their next step, so thanks for the suggestions.