July Photography Challenge

Ashanali

It was so much fun, spent most of the time laughing and then the tripod would not lock properly, dog though we were nuts so reverted to teddy's. This was only my 1st attempt, but will keep playing and hopefully come up with something a lot better. ran out of time with the RS on bears, will also need to find a better area with more space to move. so much to learn and these challenges are great, keep them going, Thanks

:love:

post-27742-1246831080_thumb.jpg

post-27742-1246831111_thumb.jpg

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huga, can I ask how you managed to focus when you did the self portrait?

Well, my camera is just a little point and shoot, so I put it on 'starry sky' mode, stuck it on my bedside table and set the self timer for 2 seconds. The torch is on my bed head, facing down so most of the light is blocked out. Is that what you meant?

Shell this one is for you :love:

097.jpg

Thats what is outside our local cemetery.

Edt: All my photos have turned out crapola, sadly this is the best one ;) I will keep plugging away though.

Edited by StaffordLove

Ok, so I think im on my way. After a lot of frustration I have some shots worth sharing.

This was heaps of fun and slightly addictive!

IMG_9208.jpg

IMG_9262.jpg

IMG_9240.jpg

IMG_9273.jpg

Becandarch - you read my mind! I was coming to give you some feedback.

These photos are awesome and you are definitely on the right track. Your painting technique seems to be spot on so I wouldn't change that, so you need to let your camera allow more light in. I would open your aperture more OR lengthen the amount of time you are exposing for.

Try both techniques, one at a time, to find what give you the better result.

If your aperture is currently 22, open it up to 16 or even 11

If your exposure is currently 12 seconds extend it to 15 or 20 seconds

Black Magic - great shots for a first attempt particularly when you haven't had your camera for very long! Hope to see more from you in the challenges. ;) Your comments about the information I give are appreciated. Alex and I are actually putting together a one day lighting workshop for beginners and hope to go through Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and maybe Adelaide with it. Feedback like yours gives us a little more confidence that we are on the right track. :D

Lea - don't listen to Blab :) . You're doing a great job and I'm totally jealous that you have such a willing model. ;)

Great results everyone :love: I think this is my favourite month so far!

R&A - :love: You're on the right track, your technique is fine. If there is one thing you can do, perhaps steal a trick from Ripley and get some yellow or orange cellophane and put it over the end of your torch to give a warmer tone (tungsten effect.) ;)

R&A - :love: You're on the right track, your technique is fine. If there is one thing you can do, perhaps steal a trick from Ripley and get some yellow or orange cellophane and put it over the end of your torch to give a warmer tone (tungsten effect.) ;)

LOL hubby suggested that I put something too!! I have no cello but will work something out :D ;)

Ashanali,

Oh Please please please can you come to the regional area's here in Vic we would LOVE for some help here in Warrnambool!!!!!!!

PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE :D:):):):cool:

I only got my camera 6 weeks ago and have learnt more here doing this challenge than I could have imagined. I would never have used any setting apart from auto if it wasnt for the way you explain it all in easy terms, it means I can actually understand what you mean.

LOL my pics are not great, but they are still some thing for me to work on and get some experience.

I have tried to get into do a photography course here in town BUT there is none till next year :love::(;):(;)

I WILL beg if I have to lol.

Cheers Janet

Edited by Riley James

R&A - ;) You're on the right track, your technique is fine. If there is one thing you can do, perhaps steal a trick from Ripley and get some yellow or orange cellophane and put it over the end of your torch to give a warmer tone (tungsten effect.) :laugh:

Dobber! :laugh: Try different things, guys. I too found the lighting too harsh so thought what do I have in my house I can reduce the light with? Its amazing what you can find hidden away in your drawer.

I have tried a few things over the torch as it's too harsh otherwise. I don't have a key light torch so I don't own a soft torch.

You could even try a plastic lid from a deoderant or something over it.

Regular loo paper works too, just fold it over the torch a couple of times. Even try a stocking for a 'gaussian blur'' effect - it worked on Hollywood stars of yesteryear, could work for this too.

OK, I tried to think about this concept while I was underwater yesterday. Shooting photos underwater is always all about painting with light because if you get the light in the wrong place, even on a very clear day, you'll get all sparklies and crap lit up between you and your subject or in the background - it's called backscatter and it is the bane of underwater photographers everywhere.

But, I wanted to try something even more "radical" than I usually do. I started playing with these ideas again last weekend and kinda liked those results.

coralfish1.jpg

So I tried again yesterday on some scenes that didn't have built in light blocker/funnelers (hehehe I am SO technical). It was harder to make the light only land where I wanted it as my strobes cast a pretty wide angle & I had nothing to snoot them with etc, so there was some cussing uw involved. The concept isn't fully realised - and some of my fellow uw togs HATE it - but I'm having fun ;)

IMG_2098.jpg

edited to put the right image in

Edited by kja