July Photography Challenge

Ashanali

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Terranik, that looks great with all those colours - were you tired today?

Pointeeblab, your shot is clearer than my dog shot, mine was terrible. She would not stay still enough.

Tonight I used these old cigarette tins which belonged to my late grandfather. I use them to hold spare buttons or a small sewing kit.

The background is a really old, once shiny cake tin which belonged to my grandmother but I still use it occasionally.

Thought a sepia conversion fitted the era, I think these ciggie tins are from the 1940s.

20 seconds, ISO 100. Cellophane over torch to give a soft focus.

3694188734_874ab85be9.jpg

here's the straight out of the camera colour version, different position

3694201844_63309fd127.jpg

I tried a red plastic document sleeve over the torch on this one

3694188882_d435b4175b.jpg

Edited by Ripley

Wow, what an influx of photos!! They are all great!!

Ripley I really love the texture of the tin you used for the background! Nice!!

And yes! I was very tired today, however I didn't have uni til the afternoon so I had a nice sleep-in!

I don't think the red plastic sleeve works in the last shot but it's all an experiment. It's amazing what you can find in the house isn't it?

Great shots, guys. I'm off to bed. After photographing really old cigarette tins, I feel I should read some Noel Coward before bed ... :laugh:

Edited by Ripley

Nice cigarette tins Ripley!

R n A - that fruit one is perfect. I think that's really the effect that we're supposed to be trying to achieve there - like it's been painted.

Awesome!! And Ashanali thought we'd hate this challenge!! It's only the 6th and we're getting better every day!

CARN GIRL!!! BRING ON THE NEXT ONE!!

Huga, can I ask how you managed to focus when you did the self portrait?

Well, my camera is just a little point and shoot, so I put it on 'starry sky' mode, stuck it on my bedside table and set the self timer for 2 seconds. The torch is on my bed head, facing down so most of the light is blocked out. Is that what you meant?

Yes, thanks a lot :laugh: Excellent shot, I actually thought it was light streaming in from a window - love the effect you've created.

Calvin this time. I tried to do some different exposures but his coat was really hard as the white would keep blowing out. You sort of had to paint around him. He was a bit of a challenge. :laugh:

3694011142_41d4a8de5b.jpg

Terranik, that looks great with all those colours - were you tired today?

Pointeeblab, your shot is clearer than my dog shot, mine was terrible. She would not stay still enough.

Tonight I used these old cigarette tins which belonged to my late grandfather. I use them to hold spare buttons or a small sewing kit.

The background is a really old, once shiny cake tin which belonged to my grandmother but I still use it occasionally.

Thought a sepia conversion fitted the era, I think these ciggie tins are from the 1940s.

20 seconds, ISO 100. Cellophane over torch to give a soft focus.

3694188734_874ab85be9.jpg

here's the straight out of the camera colour version, different position

(they were my husbands grandfathers)

3694201844_63309fd127.jpg

I tried a red plastic document sleeve over the torch on this one

3694188882_d435b4175b.jpg

Ripley that just spun me out!

I have exactly the same Craven tins. Same writing, same colour! They were the first thing I thought to take photos of for this challenge

but mine didnt turn out so good :laugh:

Edited by becandcharch

Calvin this time. I tried to do some different exposures but his coat was really hard as the white would keep blowing out. You sort of had to paint around him. He was a bit of a challenge. :thumbsup:

3694011142_41d4a8de5b.jpg

I envy anyone who can get a shot like this of their cat! Mow just wants to chase the light!

I got the torch out the other night and he ran head-first into a wall to try and catch it!

I envy anyone who can get a shot like this of their cat! Mow just wants to chase the light!

I got the torch out the other night and he ran head-first into a wall to try and catch it!

did you get THAT on camera? :thumbsup:

it's my brother's birthday today so I got the camera out last night to make him a quick light-writing Happy Birthday e-card kind of thing ... then couldn't put the camera away ...

3696078848_7698e2dca9.jpg

3695268469_667f39c02d.jpg

I'm using a small key-chain light that I accidently found out fit inside this blue bottle

3696079410_eef2092189.jpg

this shot the light is filtered through the blue bottle above :thumbsup:

3696078458_a659d84b18.jpg

:laugh:

Oooo - I love the second one CM! Is that a melted candle? The base of it look ominous!

Not part of the challenge but I decided I would try and get a good photo of Mow so you can see the idiot who ruins my photos:

3697434368_ed60baf2e1.jpg?v=0

One day I'll learn to use textures - these would look so much better with a texture over them to make them look aged!

3696626529_7c1a34a550.jpg?v=0

And the mandatory fruit bowl (yes, I did intend to keep the tags on the lemon - my modern take on a favourite renaissance still-life painting :thumbsup: ):

3696626999_9fb55dc641.jpg?v=0

I have the best idea for another shot but I'm going to have to get someone to help me - i need 2 hands to be in the shot and a hand to move the torch around!