Thirsty During The Night

all that glitters

Shyla sleeps in her crate next to my bed, and more often than not she starts to stir around 3/4am making a mouthing noise which I know means shes thirsty. She doesn't whine to come out of her crate, but I feel mean and so let her out to have a drink, which also means taking her to the toilet. Does anyone leave water in their crate?

Shyla sleeps in her crate next to my bed, and more often than not she starts to stir around 3/4am making a mouthing noise which I know means shes thirsty. She doesn't whine to come out of her crate, but I feel mean and so let her out to have a drink, which also means taking her to the toilet. Does anyone leave water in their crate?

I always did when they where pups and still do

I give my boy access to his water 24/7.

It took a while to find a dish that he didn't manage to empty ... I am using a large bird dish which screws to the side of the crate & thankfully he can't tip it over.

Nope, not the sleepy mouthy noises, not suckling, definately her being thirsty! (I can read her like a book). If I ignore it, she keeps shifting position and won't fall back asleep properly, and the minute I put the light on, shes UP in sit position asking to come out, and runs to the water bowl.

Last night I put a small amount of water in her crate, I heard her drink at 2am, and we didn't have to get up, no thirsty noises! Yay :laugh:

Some brands of dry food contain very high amounts of sodium which can make dogs more thirsty than normal. I know Advance is one of those foods and many supermarket brands as well. If she is on any one of these, then perhaps a change of diet to a food with a much lower sodium content may assist.

Yep Kelpie, thats her! She's a lot bigger now though cos those photos are from over a month ago, hehe :laugh:

Some nights we forget to turn the heating down, but usually we program it so it doesn't come on during the night (ie - ive just gotten up now and the dial says 16c, but just did poop duty so I'm warmed up anyway lol)

Hey Shellectra

I just bought a water bowl that fixes to the side of the crate, its awesome and only about $13. The woman at the pet shop said it was a bird seed bowl (must be for some seriously big birds), but the box did mention it being a travel bowl for crates. Its stainless steel, made by Prestige Pets and is really secure.

First night for us tonight with it, but she's been drinking out of it already. Bronte wasn't getting up for drinks, but I was a little worried about her not having access to water - your post inspired me to just sort it out.