Fidos Free Itch Rinse Pyrethrum

This is the Pyrethrum rinse. http://mavlab.com.au/vet/pyrethrum.pdf

I was wondering if anyone living in a tick area has used it before and how they've found it?

The two things I'm a bit unsure about are it sounds like it should be used every 3 days in tick areas, which is quite a lot of baths for a dog that doesn't really like them. And to be effective, would you have to get it all around the ears and the face? It might be hard to do that while being careful not to get it in the ears, eyes etc. I like that it sounds more natural than other treatments though.

Has anyone used it on their dogs before?

I have used it as a flea rinse and straight to put directly on a tick,but then I always frontline once the dog is dry.. However I would not reccomend it as an ONLY method of tick control.Also if the dog gets wet you will need to re apply. Maybe try Permoxin it is a rinse and last 2 weeks. I use Frontline spray now on my dogs as I find it works better than the top spot and last 3 weeks and does not wash off if you use a natural shampoo like dermcare.

Yes Baby Dragon - actually I washed 3 of my dogs in it yesterday! :thumbsup:

Been using this product on & off for many years now and it's fantastic as an added extra to keep those ticks and fleas away. I use it in low tick season to give my guys a rest from Advantix for a few months. As soon as I start seeing ticks - back on the Advantix.

BE warned - it is not a product designed for complete protection against ticks. But does a good job of killing what might be on the dog (fleas in particular - you can just watch them crawl out and die!).

You're absolutely right - it's a bit much to be washing your dog every 3 days with the stuff! So I tend to use it once a week or fortnightly when I give the girls a bath. :thumbsup: Once again - I do not use it as full-on tick protection. :laugh:

I have used it for years too and find it is an excellent product especially when I want instant results like if I buy in a new dog.

I usually wait 3 days after using it before I put Advantix on the dog but I was told you can use it in conjunction with Advantix.

To be sure you can always phone Mavlab who manufacture it. They have vets etc. there and give excellent advice on all their products.

It would one of the best products on the market for the removal of ticks and fleas.

It also has great safety factor.

It is used by many boarding kennels to bath the dogs as they come in to ensure that the animal has no ticks or fleas.

It should of course be used in conjunction with a tick and flea preventative.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

It sounds great, like an added safety barrier. I'll contact the manufactorer to ask if I can use it in conjunction with Frontline Plus (applied fortnightly.)

I can't find prices on that website, do any of you remember how much it costs and for which size?

Thank you

I use it regularly - its great. We don't have ticks but I've used it when going into tick areas and have never had any problems.

You can also mix it up and spray it on in between baths - its an excellent way of keeping it topped up. I agree - every three days it needs "topping up".

I find that Pyrethrum concentrate, sold as an "organic" garden insecticide, works as well as Fidos and is a LOT cheaper. Same active ingredients . . . Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide. I just make up a weak solution and spray it on with an old windex bottle. As others state, good as a supplemental control for fleas/ticks, but better to stick with one of the 'monthly' regimes as a main line of control.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the Pyrethrum rinse. http://mavlab.com.au/vet/pyrethrum.pdf

I was wondering if anyone living in a tick area has used it before and how they've found it?

The two things I'm a bit unsure about are it sounds like it should be used every 3 days in tick areas, which is quite a lot of baths for a dog that doesn't really like them. And to be effective, would you have to get it all around the ears and the face? It might be hard to do that while being careful not to get it in the ears, eyes etc. I like that it sounds more natural than other treatments though.

Has anyone used it on their dogs before?

Hello after reading your post i decided to try help you with your situation,

I own a british bulldog he has had his share of skin allergies mites ticks and you name it he's had it poor bugger,

I am not certian that the products i have used are at all the same as what your using but when Chucolba had mites and ticks as a pup when i bought him i was given medications like Pyoben shampoo, Pyohex medicated foams,

I was told to treat him 2 or 3 times a week for 4 weeks during this time he had check ups to make sure things were going ok and Yes washing the dog that many times per week is difficult especially if the dog doen't agree he or she needs a bath ha ha however i use to get little dog treats after i bathed the dog i would sit with him talk to him and give him treats it seems to take his mind off trying to jump out of the tub and destracts him enough to leave the product on him in order for it to soak in to the skin I looked up the product you have been prescribed for your animal and below is some info that may help you, of course I am sure you know how to use the product i just thought since you were worried about the eyes there is a good tip on here you may wish to follow,

also perhaps use a face washer for the head of the animal rather then pouring the water over the head this may help I know my dog hates water in his face but when i use a warm washer to clean his folds ears and around the eyes he does'nt seem to mind and he prefers the damp washer then a big splash of water running down his face. hope this helps :eek:

HOW TO USE: Wet the animal's coat with water. Apply shampoo along the back of the animal, working it into a lather. Apply more shampoo working down the legs, paying attention to the foot pads (between the toes) and the underbody areas. Pay special attention to the base of the tail, as it is a place frequented by fleas. Wash the head and ear areas carefully, making sure to keep the shampoo out of the animal's eyes.

NOTE: A drop of glycerin in each eye before bathing can prevent or reduce irritation if the shampoo gets in the animal's eyes. Once the animal is "fully lathered", let stand for 5 minutes before rinsing thoroughly with water.

For small dogs and cats under 15 pounds, it is advisable to wrap animal in a towel to absorb moisture for several minutes. This also will allow dying fleas and ticks to crawl off pet into towel before drying further with a towel or blow dryer. Flea and tick control on the pet is only part of the solution of the problem. The inside of the house and the outdoor area used by the pet must also be treated for complete control.

it works amazingly but you do have to leave it on for about 10 minutes and DONT GET IT IN THE EYES as it is a poison so very dangerous!! however its a temporary flea relief...only kills the fleas on the dog but if it goes back into the flea-ridden environment they will go straight back on!

Dunno if anyone has noticed or is it just me...are fleas becoming more resistant to flea spot ons and shampoos?? seems you have to leave the shampoo on alot longer than you used to and spot ons take longer to work or arent as effective!

Maybe its just me lol

it works amazingly but you do have to leave it on for about 10 minutes and DONT GET IT IN THE EYES as it is a poison so very dangerous!! however its a temporary flea relief...only kills the fleas on the dog but if it goes back into the flea-ridden environment they will go straight back on!

Dunno if anyone has noticed or is it just me...are fleas becoming more resistant to flea spot ons and shampoos?? seems you have to leave the shampoo on alot longer than you used to and spot ons take longer to work or arent as effective!

Maybe its just me lol

:eek: Sorry I don't understand what you mean, when you say leave it on for 10 mins.

Do you mean that you wash it off ?.

I just use it in the Hydro bath all over the dog even in the ears, it's a beaut cleaner for that and then just leave the dog in it's yard to dry.

Maybe its just me lol

:laugh: Sorry I don't understand what you mean, when you say leave it on for 10 mins.

I just use it in the Hydro bath all over the dog even in the ears, it's a beaut cleaner for that and then just leave the dog in it's yard to dry.

I think they are talking about the shampoo :( As it is a rinse, you leave it to dry on the dog.

I have been using it for years as a flea rinse, very happy with it . love the smell

Maybe its just me lol

:laugh: Sorry I don't understand what you mean, when you say leave it on for 10 mins.

I think they are talking about the shampoo :( As it is a rinse, you leave it to dry on the dog.

I have been using it for years as a flea rinse, very happy with it . love the smell

yes im talking about the Fido's Flea Rinse Shampoo (thought that was what this topic was about lol sorry if its not...) you leave it on the dog for about 10 minutes to kill all the fleas

The shampoo and the rinse are two totally different products. The OP is about the RINSE.

The Shampoo is just that a shampoo that you apply then rinse off, it has no residual action.

The Rinse is left on the dog to dry. It does have residual action.

I always use the Fido's Puppy version in the shampoo because it is safe to use on puppies & even kittens. :laugh:

With the Fido's rinse I always have some made up in a spray bottle to use in between baths if need be though if ever dealing with pups n kittens especially you must rub it through then pat towel dry them otherwise kittens can be at risk from licking too much of it. It can even be used diluted as a spray for birds against lice etc.. :)

I add it to the final rinse for the bedding too,If placed in concentrate form on a cotton ball and held on a tick, the tick will drop off!!

Its great stuff with an awesome smell!!!

:laugh:

Thanks guys :laugh: This is all really helpful.

A couple of questions, one person said not to get it in their eyes as it's a poison (or was that the shampoo, not the rinse?) Obviously I would try not to get it in the dog's eyes but if some does accidentally drip in there is it really bad and is it poison???

With towel drying, should that be done for coated breeds too? Would towel drying lessen the effect of the rinse? I thought it had to air dry but I might be confused.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I need your help again :thumbsup:

For those of you who use it in the hydrobath, I think it is 1:100 dilution (is that right????) Anyway, does that mean for those of you with a 30 L tank, you have to put in 300ml for each bath?!! Or is my maths totally wrong?