Clipping Nails

hey all... ever since I accidently cut one of my dad's dogs nail to close and it bled a little bit, I've been really really scared of cutting dogs nails. i would like to overcome this fear, because I need to cut my pup's nails. So far, I've been taking him to the vet to get his nail cut... they are happy to do it when they are puppies, but when it gets older, they won't.. suggesting that i should let the pup run on concrete to file itself down.

Any advice on cutting pup's nails? or even filing the pup's nails?

How much should i cut?

Also, my pup has different colour nails... he has a few black ones, some white one and some dark brown one... white ones, i can see that you don't cut to the pink.. but black and brown nails are harder to tell.

I generally check under the nails to where the fleshy 'quick' part is and cut as close to it as possible without actually cutting it - basically it's easier for me to do it with Sasha lying on her side, then I can see the quick from underneath and better judge how far to go back.

Then I file them back a little to push the quick back if needed. I've never had a bleed and the filing is easy as it won't do much damage and if the scraping annoys her she lets me know :(

I also use clippers that only let you cut a pre-set amount at a time, just in case she jerks or I move and stops me from cutting too much.

I was also terrified, but I find if I follow this and keep an eye on the underside of her nails and the quick I don't have any problems.

Have someone experienced show you how to hold the dog and how to do it. Buy a good set of clippers and clip little and every couple of weeks. Even if your dog is running on concrete , check the feet every couple of days and continue the handling.

Your confidence will grow and rest assured even the most seasoned nail clipper stuffs up every now and then. If you do, just dip the nail in some corn flour and apply some pressure.

I can so relate to this. I am too terrified to clip nails either! So instead, I use an electric Dremal handtool which has a sandpaper wheel on the end to sand the nails back. It works quite well except that I don't do it nearly often enough and I really need to be filing them about once a week. As I recall the Dremel grinder was about $100 and it was bought from a hardware store online.

Ok... I'm going out to get a pair of good clippers tonight. which one do you recommend?

i buy it tonight, and i have a few days to talk myself into doing them.

So, it's all about practise and keep doing it to it build confidence...

Look at the nails from underneath. Our dogs have black nails bu from that view you can see the vein.

After you buy the clippers, go to a hardware shop & buy an industrial file. It sounds like overkill but it works well.....& save up & buy a Dremel, we use that too.

Any rotary tool or straight grinder will do the trick.

Dremel brand name tools are expensive.

My current toy is a Rok grinder purchased from Mitre 10. It was under $40. Came with a heap of attachments, including the flexible shaft which can be handy if you're dealing with a wriggler or a dog that is freaked out by the unit itself.

just watch the hair doesn't get caught up in the dremel!

Ppractise handling your dogs feet and looking at the nails when they have been trimmed, you will soon get used to the look of how they should be and when they are getting long.

just watch the hair doesn't get caught up in the dremel!

And if you have long hair, tie it back before you start as well.

A good method to keep the hair on the foot out of the way of the grinder, is to put the whole foot into an old stocking and allow the one you want to clip to poke out through the fabric. Then you can see the toe you're working on and don't have to hold the rest of the hair back at the same time.

my girl hates having her toe-nails clipped. It is now a two person job. (She has all black nails and they've been cut a little short a couple of times). I need to get them trimmed every week almost - cos even though i have hard floors at home, and walk her on pavement - they dont wear down fast enough at all.