Hitting The Ring For The First Time

angelsophie

Jess before march I had never even been to a dog show! I am still so very new and like bindii have only done three shows. What I have learnt has been passed on from the lovely people in the breed subforum so I am more than happy to share what little info I know :D Did the info I sent through make any sense?? Stacking and headfall are my issues. I tend to get in the ring and zone in on toby. It wasnt untilI looked at pics of us I realise others were watching us :rofl:

We have our first show sept 12 :eek: it's a Bullmastiff specialty show so we will meet all the other Bully people.

Leo still doesn't quiet grasp the concept of everything (neither do i for that matter! :D ) so we'll see how it turns out! But I just heard back from our breeder and she is going to enter Leo's daddy in it too, so she'll be there to show me the ropes and what not and if I want she said she will handle Leo for me. It's in Sydney somewhere too I think..So I will also have to shake the nerves of driving through the city! This will be the only show we will do in sydders I think. Too far away!

And well done Fletch! He is getting big and looking all grown up! :love:

Oh and thanks for all the help Bec. I'm still pretty useless and working things out but hopefully one day i'll get it! haha.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im very nervous about my first show as it gets closer, I think I will be glad to have got it over with and be able to continue on later on.

cassie01 and poocow I will be there with Taite (Dalmatian) in the Non Sporting ring , Id love to say hi though I always have trouble finding people, we will try to find you if you see a dally puppy bunny hopping everywhere thats us lol.

I'm sure you will be able to spot me, I have the only Field there on Sunday.

You will be fine! I was so nervous but just tell the steward its your first time and they can let the judge know so they can explain things to you.

I am sure you will do fine, I am starting to feel sick the closer it gets. I will be in ring 6. I would love to come and say hi. I am also in 6-9 month sweepstakes. I also told the steward it was my first time and they were really helpful in explaining things, but didn't realize there was only one way in and out so of course I went out the in way!!! I was so embarrassed :thumbsup:

Jess before march I had never even been to a dog show! I am still so very new and like bindii have only done three shows. What I have learnt has been passed on from the lovely people in the breed subforum so I am more than happy to share what little info I know :cheer: Did the info I sent through make any sense?? Stacking and headfall are my issues. I tend to get in the ring and zone in on toby. It wasnt untilI looked at pics of us I realise others were watching us :rofl:

Yeh well I still haven't been to a show :cheer:

Yeh, I didn't realise you could do that, but I went on the sight and tried to make an account but it said I wasn't a member :) and then tried to email through to the info but it didn't work, not a good strain of luck. I did send away an entry, I think I bodgied it up, we'll see what happens there too :)

When i practice with Leo I watch him so intently my circles end up not being circles and I will probably end up colliding with the judge, need to work on that! Stacking is proving difficult for us aswell, but it's all in fun for now, hopefully we will both shape up if we get into it!

Cassie I am getting that sick feeling also, even though I won't be doing anything :cheer:

When you head back towards the judge make sure you stop a fair way away and have the dog lining up with them - not you in their line of sight!

Also when doing a triangle look up, find a point (usually a ring post), walk to it, turn, walk to the opposite post, turn and walk back to the judge keeping the dog in line with the judge.

Jess,

I had the exact same issue with the dogsnsw site. I emailed them and they were fine and reset it or something?? I also didnt get my issues of the mag/gazette and emailed them they fixed that too :)

Until then I have a list of local shows (I like lists :rofl: ) to keep me organised. I am happy to send to you with details, entries close dates ect. Just let me know.

My first lot of numbers didnt come because my SASEnvelope went MIA?? So I picked them up with my catalogue on the day. My next lot didnt arrive till the day before. Maybe it was a big fat hint from the universe lol

Bec

When you head back towards the judge make sure you stop a fair way away and have the dog lining up with them - not you in their line of sight!

Also when doing a triangle look up, find a point (usually a ring post), walk to it, turn, walk to the opposite post, turn and walk back to the judge keeping the dog in line with the judge.

Thanks for the tips poocow, I am sure i will forget them on the day :rofl: Where I go to training she did say to me on Wednesday that I was too close to her. Showing did look easy (how hard could it be to run with your dog and stand???) but now I am realizing differently. I also tried some mink oil on him 2day to see if this does not cause dandruff, because he is black you can see everything!!!

Two Spirit: How do they judge the dalmations, are their spots very relevent??? Do they have to have them all over?? Just curious. :)

Edited by cassie01

Do you go to Luci?

I go there on Wednesday nights but was feeling crappy last night so didn't go.

Omg nearly had the fright of my life - dropped Morgie off at the vets this morning to be sedated and get her anal glands treated. Phoned up to check it went ok etc, and the vet mentioned shaving and I just gasped and said 'you didn't!' :) And she laughed and was like 'no I said I didn't shave her at all' - phew!

Jess,

I had the exact same issue with the dogsnsw site. I emailed them and they were fine and reset it or something?? I also didnt get my issues of the mag/gazette and emailed them they fixed that too :laugh:

Until then I have a list of local shows (I like lists :eek: ) to keep me organised. I am happy to send to you with details, entries close dates ect. Just let me know.

My first lot of numbers didnt come because my SASEnvelope went MIA?? So I picked them up with my catalogue on the day. My next lot didnt arrive till the day before. Maybe it was a big fat hint from the universe lol

Bec

Ahk it did get me worried for a little bit, glad to know it didn't happen to just me! I will try the email again, maybe it was just my shotty internet connection.

From the August gazette I did a list myself (I like them too ;) ) but still haven't entered anything. I think we might wait out this sept 12 show and see how we like it, although we are also entered in 18th and 19th at morriset (if my entry wasn't as bodgey as I think haha) so we might just wait it out...I dunno! But if I ever do need a hand I will be turning to you! (I hope you don't mind!)

Do you go to Luci?

I go there on Wednesday nights but was feeling crappy last night so didn't go.

Omg nearly had the fright of my life - dropped Morgie off at the vets this morning to be sedated and get her anal glands treated. Phoned up to check it went ok etc, and the vet mentioned shaving and I just gasped and said 'you didn't!' ;) And she laughed and was like 'no I said I didn't shave her at all' - phew!

How is morgie 2day???? I do go to Luci's on Wednesday during the day, I have been going for around three months, but still don't get some things, hopefully it will all click in one day :eek: She is good though isn't she.

Two Spirit: How do they judge the dalmations, are their spots very relevent??? Do they have to have them all over?? Just curious. :thumbsup:

Dalmatian is spelt with an A not an O. The spots are relevant they should be clear - round and well defined, not run together and be about the size of a five to twenty cent coin and well distributed, the ones on the extremeties, legs, tail etc should be smaller than on the body. The edges should not blend into the ground colour so as to appear grey or have a dark halo.

With Taite's litter, some one of the boys had too much spotting and other had too little spotting. The black spots have to be a shiny jet black, liver spotted should be a rich liver brown. I have also been told some judges like to view the Dalmatian from both sides to see how spotted they are on both sides not just the show side, so I have to teach Taite to heel both on the left and right of me. You also cannot have patched dogs, or dogs with black and liver spots together (tricolour) or lemon spots, and they have to have a good pigment around the eye, one of the pups in Taite's litter was missing a bit of pigment around the eye and was thought wouldnt be suited to showing but it closed up as he grew. Of course the spots are only part of it, there is also the physique of the Dally, and the eye colour etc.

I am hoping that made some sense.

Two Spirit: How do they judge the dalmations, are their spots very relevent??? Do they have to have them all over?? Just curious. :laugh:

Dalmatian is spelt with an A not an O. The spots are relevant they should be clear - round and well defined, not run together and be about the size of a five to twenty cent coin and well distributed, the ones on the extremeties, legs, tail etc should be smaller than on the body. The edges should not blend into the ground colour so as to appear grey or have a dark halo.

With Taite's litter, some one of the boys had too much spotting and other had too little spotting. The black spots have to be a shiny jet black, liver spotted should be a rich liver brown. I have also been told some judges like to view the Dalmatian from both sides to see how spotted they are on both sides not just the show side, so I have to teach Taite to heel both on the left and right of me. You also cannot have patched dogs, or dogs with black and liver spots together (tricolour) or lemon spots, and they have to have a good pigment around the eye, one of the pups in Taite's litter was missing a bit of pigment around the eye and was thought wouldnt be suited to showing but it closed up as he grew. Of course the spots are only part of it, there is also the physique of the Dally, and the eye colour etc.

I am hoping that made some sense.

Thanks for clearing that up, they are a lovely dog, good luck on Sunday if I don't hear from you, hopefully I will see you there :laugh:

We are back from our first show, met poocow and morgan, was lovely to meet you both :eek: I tried to find you cassie01 but was a bit lost so didnt get to meet you, maybe next time. We had fun, Taite as usual bunny hopped around the ring, but was good experience, I forgot a few things being so nervous but will probably do better next time. Our next show is Dalwood at erskine park next Saturday.

Congrats on your first show, Two Spirit!! Glad you had fun!! Next week will be much better - getting that 'first show' out of the way you'll feel great next week :)

Fletcher and I had a great day today!!

23-08-09_1422.jpg

Best Minor Puppy in show at the Samoyed Club of Victoria Champ show! Was a big long day, but we all had so much fun, it was great seeing so many Sammies, and this is the first show Fletcher's breeders have been at with us and it was great :)

Fletcher is such a good boy, very focused, very obedient, and very happy. I'm proud of my young man!! Really making me want another already... uh-oh!!

Also gunna chuck this photo in because i love it.

23-08-09_0934-1.jpg

Jess - Was it your first show this weekend?? How was it!?

Cassie, Poocow, Angelsophie - How did my fellow newbie pals go this weekend?

Edited by Bindii

Congrats Bindii & Fletcher :)

Was great meeting you Two Spirit :) Morgan loved playing with Taite. Shes snoring away now.

I got two baby of breeds this weekend, she was the only baby though. Nothing in group as per usual.

We didnt show this weekend but we had obedience this morning and competed in handlers day. Tobes was great, they commented on how switched on he was and his instructors love him to bits. One of those days where I was so proud of him and can feel everything clicking and I am crossing my fingers that translates in the ring next time. It will be our last baby show!

AWESOME WIN BINDII AND FLETCHER!!! :):cheer::):cheer::):cheer::):wave::)

Bec

Congrats Bindii & Fletcher :laugh:

Was great meeting you Two Spirit :rofl: Morgan loved playing with Taite. Shes snoring away now.

I got two baby of breeds this weekend, she was the only baby though. Nothing in group as per usual.

Two Spirit and Poocow: I tried to look for you both also today, but also was a bit lost, hopefully soon I will meet you both, I am going out to Penrith on Friday if anyone is going???? Two Spirit your first show is the hardest, it wasn't as overwhelming for me 2day, I am sure you will be fine next week. Poocow thanks again for the post trick I did remember that one :eek: Diesel got third in sweepstakes, and won his class (he was the only one). Bindii and Poocow: Congrats on your wins today and angelsophie I am glad you had a great day also.

Edited by cassie01