Canned Foods

Natures Gift, although it's been a very long time since my guys had a can. But my son was feeding his kelpie-x pup Chum and she had the runs....and was producing large amounts, so I gave him so Natures Gift to try as well as a bad of Uncle Albers as both are within his modest budget, and puppy's runs cleared up in a few days and she looks fabulous.

my dog wont even eat chum or pal. she'd rather go hungry

Mine too!

I've given Zero natures gift (when i couldn't get anything else), ziwipeak and eaglepack when he's had different problems - the best one though was when he was constipated for a few days and the vet recommended i buy him some pedigree naturals tinned food.... needless to say he didn't have a problem after that!

I always have back up tins of dog food in the cupboard, maybe they would get one once a fortnight, sometimes more often, sometimes not one for ages. i tend to have sardines as well so they woudl probably get them more than the tins. it's just convenient at times.

But having said that I use only the small tin between the 3 of them so they only get a bit of a taste on their biscuits. I use Natures Gift or My Dog or Optimum, depending what is on special. I don't mind the smell of any of those tins and they dont' seem to upset their tummies, occassionaly they cause Tilly to be a windy though. :o

Same as everyone else ;) I keep a couple of tins of Nature's Gift in the cupboard in case of an emergency.

I usually keep an eye out for when its on special (usually about a dollar off per tin) and buy 3 or 4 and that would probably last me all year.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll have to source a pile of Nature's Gift. Of course, the Chum and Pal raised dogs may find it too wholesome and refuse it . . . maybe I'll try a few cans first.

"Gift" being German for poison isn't the best portent.

I have fed canned food to one of my dogs once (when he needed cooked food after an illness).

It was Hills I/D which is basically just chicken and rice. It's the first can of dog food I've ever smelt that didn't make me want to ;)

I have fed canned food to one of my dogs once (when he needed cooked food after an illness).

It was Hills I/D which is basically just chicken and rice. It's the first can of dog food I've ever smelt that didn't make me want to :laugh:

Oh yeah I forgot about Hills I/D - Darcy had some of that when he was recovering from parvo.

I've used Nature's Gift before when flavouring kibble - also Eagle Pack & Ziwipeak but they are expensive.

Talking from running a kennel perspective I would add a bit of chum to those dogs food who would not touch the raw or the chicken and rice roll. I'd mix it in with the dry and usually they would woof that down. When running a kennel you have to go with what they will eat to keep the weight on them. It was usually those dogs that got tinned food at home that didn't know what to make of the raw/rolls.

Surely a kennel could come up with something better than Chum. I'd be pretty pissed if I was paying good money for my dog to eat crap in a can. Eventhe thought of cleaning up after chum fed dogs is repulsive. Eew!

If I had a difficult eater (which I don't ) I would supply my own food, rather than it eat Chum <<....shudder.

We use Pro Plan or Eagle pack dry for the boarders at work and rarely get a refusal. A smidgeon of Natures gift or Eaglepack canned soon tempts those that are a problem.

And when they won't eat natures gift either? Then they got Chum...the majority of those dogs were eating at home too.

This is not what the majority of dogs got - maybe 1 dog a month that had issues and wouldn't eat. Some dogs even came in with their own PAL or Chum...And they hardly got a whole can of it - just a spoonful mixed in with good quality kibble so they would eat that.

I wasn't the one paying the bills for food, what I would have done differently food wise I didn't have the bosses permission for...again another reason I dont work there anymore.

So, you fed something other than what the owners requested? Went to the trouble of bringing in a specific dog food, but you changed it because YOU think its crap?

I've used Nature's Gift before when flavouring kibble - also Eagle Pack & Ziwipeak but they are expensive.

Talking from running a kennel perspective I would add a bit of chum to those dogs food who would not touch the raw or the chicken and rice roll. I'd mix it in with the dry and usually they would woof that down. When running a kennel you have to go with what they will eat to keep the weight on them. It was usually those dogs that got tinned food at home that didn't know what to make of the raw/rolls.

Surely a kennel could come up with something better than Chum. I'd be pretty pissed if I was paying good money for my dog to eat crap in a can. Eventhe thought of cleaning up after chum fed dogs is repulsive. Eew!

If I had a difficult eater (which I don't ) I would supply my own food, rather than it eat Chum <<....shudder.

We use Pro Plan or Eagle pack dry for the boarders at work and rarely get a refusal. A smidgeon of Natures gift or Eaglepack canned soon tempts those that are a problem.

And when they won't eat natures gift either? Then they got Chum...the majority of those dogs were eating at home too.

This is not what the majority of dogs got - maybe 1 dog a month that had issues and wouldn't eat. Some dogs even came in with their own PAL or Chum...And they hardly got a whole can of it - just a spoonful mixed in with good quality kibble so they would eat that.

I wasn't the one paying the bills for food, what I would have done differently food wise I didn't have the bosses permission for...again another reason I dont work there anymore.

So, you fed something other than what the owners requested? Went to the trouble of bringing in a specific dog food, but you changed it because YOU think its crap?

Don't know why my reply disappeared when I posted...but here it is again...

The owners that bought in tinned food (3 regulars) did so because they got the food at home and wanted it mixed in with the dry food the kennel provided. I assured them all the time that there was tinned food on hand that would be provided at no extra cost but they liked to bring in their own.

I would never give a dog an entire tin of chum - it would go straight through them.

Happy Squid...

Edited by poocow

The owners that bought in tinned food (3 regulars) did so because they got the food at home and wanted it mixed in with the dry food the kennel provided. I assured them all the time that there was tinned food on hand that would be provided at no extra cost but they liked to bring in their own.

I would never give a dog an entire tin of chum - it would go straight through them.

Happy Squid...

no, nice back pedal.

Happy Squid...

no, nice back pedal.

Wtf are you on?

Have you run a kennel? Do you know anything about how I run a kennel?

If owners ask for food to be fed I feed it - but I'd never give a whole tin of food to a dog. Kennels are highly stimulating environments, it would go straight through them.

Oh wait I get it...you just like picking on me...whatever Squid, grow up.