Dog Fight, What To Put On Punture Wounds?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone would know how much store I put in the great qualities of Active Manuka Honey (emphasis being on the "Active" component rather than just on the honey itself), but would you really want to put it on a puncture wound?

My concerns would be that dirt will stick due to its 'stickiness' and may not be helpful in keeping the wound clean.

I stuck it on Howies face puncture after the first few days to help with healing the wound.. worked a treat. :thumbsup:

post-3968-1247711170_thumb.jpgpost-3968-1247711178_thumb.jpgpost-3968-1247711186_thumb.jpg

Heffy (butter wouldnt melt in HIS mouth would it??)

His eye and the punture under his throat (not that you can really see from pics huh?)

I had them out for wees in seperate runs and I dont think they can even be beside each other as they tried to go through the fence (luckily impossible) I think the friendship is well and truely over for these guys....

Both are happy and well today, no swelling I can see, but every time they go out (they are mainly crated today) an morning and night I have flushed wounds in the betadine :)

Naughty boys, tails still wagging and they keep telling me, it wasnt them and theya re the best boy in the whole world! lol Cheeky brats! :thumbsup:

Oh, another plug is needed for Manuka Honey for wounds.. awesome stuff. Will actually stop wounds scabbing up which assists with detering the formation of scar tissue. Make sure it's medicinal grade though.

Would you get this from a pharmacy?

Or Health food shop. :thumbsup:

Organic food section of the supermarket too. MUCH cheaper!!!

We don't have a health food shop, but will check out the supermarket and pharmacy, so I know where it is if I need it - hopefully I won't

Rommimum, when I tried to get Manuka Honey I was told you can't get it in WA because of the quarantine:-( So I don't think you'll find it locally.

We don't have a health food shop, but will check out the supermarket and pharmacy, so I know where it is if I need it - hopefully I won't

Rommimum, when I tried to get Manuka Honey I was told you can't get it in WA because of the quarantine:-( So I don't think you'll find it locally.

Hmmm okay! Does normal honey - straight out of the honey comb to you- do anthing good?

looking clean at least MIssyMoo

god they're turds arent they :eat: my boys have had blues and once you clean the drool and blood away I always found it just looked a heck of a lot worst until I washed it.

Malinois did do a flying attack once across the rottie (when she's overexcited she's like a viper that dog :eat:) and gave him a 5cm gash on his back. Just nicked the skin. Shave, betadine and superglue. Would never know it happened :)

Edited by Nekhbet

Oh, another plug is needed for Manuka Honey for wounds.. awesome stuff. Will actually stop wounds scabbing up which assists with detering the formation of scar tissue. Make sure it's medicinal grade though.

Would you get this from a pharmacy?

Or Health food shop. :)

Can get it from Woolies, thats where I get mine. It's will all the other honey products.

Looks like Jarrah honey might be the go for Sandgropers:

Jarrah Honey

This Honey from Western Australian Jarrah Trees ( Eucalyptus marginata) has been researched by the Department of Agriculture And Food Research Western Australia. Their results showed that Jarrah honey had special antimicrobial properties. They measured this antimicrobial using the term of "Total Activity" (TA). Jarrah honey is measured by scientific laboratories with the "TA" ranking. A rating of 15+ can be used to treat wounds, burns and skin infections. A western Australia honey producer now markets Jarrah honey with a TA ranking.

Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

Jarrah honey is a good alternative to manuka, try to find a local apiarist who sells it. You want the upprocessed stuff that hasn't been heat treated, just spun to produce the honey ;) there's one up in the swan valley that does jarrah honey but that might be a bit too far for you!

Thanks Guys :laugh:

Jarrah honey is a good alternative to manuka, try to find a local apiarist who sells it. You want the upprocessed stuff that hasn't been heat treated, just spun to produce the honey :) there's one up in the swan valley that does jarrah honey but that might be a bit too far for you!

Yep it's about 700km's! :rofl:

However we do have a couple of bee guys down here, but the only problem is Jarrah doesn't grow here, more down the southwest. Here it is more wildflower honeys - all tastes good though, oh and unprocessed apart from getting honey out of the honeycomb and into a jar or bucket!

Edited for those annoying missing letters!

Edited by rommimum

Australia was producing Active Manuka Honey at least at one stage. Not sure where though, however it shouldn't be affected by quarantine laws.

Okay, I will do some searching!

This is what I have found

http://www.wescobee.com/-Jarrah-Honey-.html

You can buy Active Manuka Honey on the web, but cannot get it sent to WA - even though someone on ebay from NZ said they send theres to australia and all over the world! I just hope they don't bring in any pests!

Edited by rommimum

There is an Australian equivalent - I'm checking into details and seeking some more information on it. Will post once I receive some response.

But on the WA situation .... is the "quarantine law" relative to the import of the honey from OS, or would it permit the honey to cross its State borders if the honey was produced in Australia?

There is an Australian equivalent - I'm checking into details and seeking some more information on it. Will post once I receive some response.

But on the WA situation .... is the "quarantine law" relative to the import of the honey from OS, or would it permit the honey to cross its State borders if the honey was produced in Australia?

you cant take any fruit or plant into WA

you cant take any fruit or plant into WA

Oh, Ok :) - so it sounds as though the restrictions are imposed by State Border control, Aussie made or not. But I've still placed some enquiries on the Aussie made equivalent as well as whether there is an awareness by the manufacturers of it of the WA restrictions and if/when I get a reply I'll post it up here for info sake.

Wonder what component of manufactured honey could pose a risk, from WA's pov?

Edited by Erny

I know every time we flew into WA we had to put all fresh fruit into the special bins at the airport, but as we were allowed to bring in sealed meusli bars etc that contain fruit I would think that you could bring it in if it was in a sealed container ?????? Especially as they sell imported honey in Woolies/Coles here.