Dog Fight, What To Put On Punture Wounds?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok back now. Doc wasnt worried, said he would be if it was a cat or human bite. He did clean it with alcohol wipes though. Got some betadine while I was there and have just done what Nekhbet suggestted. Will keep a close eye on them as well. I will keep them quiet for a the next 24 hours I think.

thanks all for suggestions and help once again, far out..can i have some good luck now PLEASE??!

(ps hubby remembered my last tetnus was when I cut sliced by my puppy pen last year, so its still up to date :laugh: )

I never bother with vets or doctors for puncture wounds in humans, dogs, horses or cats. They all get the same old fashioned treatment recommended by a greyhound breeder that my family have been using since before I was born.

After carefully washing with a mild antiseptic apply Icthamol Ointment (also called black drawing ointment) with a cotton bud and push it into the punctures.

If you are able to cover the wound it stops the ointment rubbing off and with animals stops them from licking it but it will work wether it is covered or not. Licking it will not hurt dogs or cats and even if it looks like they have licked it all off they will in fact have pushed it further into the puncture. Icthamol looks like vegemite but it will heal any small wound and stop it becoming infected. It will also clear a wound that is already infected without the use of antibiotics.

I have a friend who uses Magnoplasm which is clear/white and works in a similar way but I would never be without my Icthamol.

Old fashioned it may be but Icthamol really does heal any small wound on man or beast.

dancinbcs, where can I get Icthamol please?

Most chemists sell it in little jars. Look near the antiseptics like betadine or with the miscellaneous stuff like glycerine or other little bottles of various liquids in the chemists own brand. If you ask for it don't ask a junior or they will probably never have heard of it despite the fact it is on the shelf.

If they have been bitten on the throat area, watch for swelling affecting the breathing.

Thanks Becks, good point, as Hef as a very deep punture just under his jaw in the neck triangle - I got hubby to hold him last night and squirted betadine into this wound. Will really keep a close eye on this one.

dancinbc, Junior, lol I had never heard of it either! lol Willhave a look today (will be good to keep handy as well)

Will try to get some pics today.

Oh, forgot to clarify my earlier advice.

Caramel Tim Tams for you.. make sure you finish the whole packet because stopping half way through any prescription biscuits is very unwise.

EFS

Edited by poodlefan

Another meany here too. I have had a few dog (bitch) fights happen and they are definitely scary things but straight puncture wounds I flush with salt water and/or betadine (on me or the dogs - been stupid enough to get bitten a couple of times myself and it hurts! The shock of it is the worst part though - I agree with the Tim Tam prescription). Vet visit if they are in a sensitive place, big wounds, tears etc, but the vet doesn't do much more than I would do otherwise for simple punctures. I second on the drawing ointment. Horrible looking stuff, but it works. As always though - if you are concerned, off to the vet.

Edited by espinay2

Hydrogen peroxide in open infected wounds cleans them up and heals them.

Wonderful stuff that hydrogen Peroxide. I got told by a horse vet years ago to use Hydrogen peroxide as an oxygenator to promote healing and skin growth. It certainly worked when my horse lost have the skin on her face due to a reaction from a worm paste

Hope everything is ok this morning.

Oh, another plug is needed for Manuka Honey for wounds.. awesome stuff. Will actually stop wounds scabbing up which assists with detering the formation of scar tissue. Make sure it's medicinal grade though.

Would you get this from a pharmacy?

Oh, another plug is needed for Manuka Honey for wounds.. awesome stuff. Will actually stop wounds scabbing up which assists with detering the formation of scar tissue. Make sure it's medicinal grade though.

Would you get this from a pharmacy?

Or Health food shop. :thumbsup:

Everyone would know how much store I put in the great qualities of Active Manuka Honey (emphasis being on the "Active" component rather than just on the honey itself), but would you really want to put it on a puncture wound?

My concerns would be that dirt will stick due to its 'stickiness' and may not be helpful in keeping the wound clean.