How Many People Use Conditioners On Their Dog?

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use conditioners for your dog?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I was wondering how many people use conditioners on their dog. I never understood the use of conditioners on dog, my dog is short hair and has not had tangled up hair (as yet). Is it suppose to make the coat better? Is it suppose to help itchy/sensitive skin. I'm using aloveen shampoo at the moment and thinking whether I should add on a conditioner.

I noticed the aloveen conditioner does not need rinsing, is alooven conditioner any good?

Conditioner is mainly used just to make the hair sorter and easier to manage...i like to use it on long coated dogs that may need some dematting as it helps detangle their coats and also replenishes it a little and stops it becoming as damaged from the knots. There are leave in conditioners but i think they're usually sprays? dont quote me on that lol...i always thought Aloveen conditioner was to rinse out but i havent had much experience with it so dont quote me on that either lol

I dont but my breed needs to have a harsh coat and conditionar makes it go all over the place and in all the wrong ways.

With Lestat I find that I dont really need it either, a good shampoo is uaually enough

In layman's terms, shampoo opens the hair follicles so that they can be cleaned. Conditioner closes the follicles.

If you don't condition, then theoretically, your dog will get dirtier and the hair is also much more susceptible to breakage.

I'm with Settrlvr. I always condition - during the bath, and spray on afterwards. (The Lab just gets spray on conditioner afterwards - the setters get conditioned during and after.)

The boy also gets a very light spray of seabreeze oil every second or third night after his pee feather wash.

With me depends on the dog.

It is mostly Piper that I condition - she has a coat that tangles easily and conditioning it helps with detangling and preventing more tnagles while blow drying.

You have a schnauzer and I would have thought they were supposed to have a harsh coat so you would not condition??? Hopefully a knowledgable schnauzer person will chime in and correct me on this if I am wrong :hug:

Schnauzers should have the legs and beard conditioned, though when clipped you can use it on the body also, as the hair there is already going to be soft.

Piper, you are right, we don't use conditioner on the body coat of a stripped dog.

Schnauzers should have the legs and beard conditioned, though when clipped you can use it on the body also, as the hair there is already going to be soft.

Piper, you are right, we don't use conditioner on the body coat of a stripped dog.

There we go, I didn't think about the legs and beard. I LOVE schnauzers, I just know I don't have the patience to cope with keeping 1 in good condition. The border collies are easy - a quick brush through once every week or so, or two or three times a week for a week or 2 when losing coat.