Liver Shunt :(

This has popped up a bit in this section lately...

I can now confirm that a pup from my last litter (now 13 weeks) had a shunt.

They begun testing with Dr L Abraham (who has a grant to study this looking for a genetic marker in Cairn Terriers) I had the litter of 4 tested, one came back with slightly abnormal results, was retested two weeks later, again abnormal, but not as high..so a syntygraphy was suggested that was done last week (also on the healthy bitch I am keeping for her study) sadly a shunt was confimed. I have signed over the pup to the University vet, a vet/tech may adopt her. The only symptym she had was she was always smaller then the other pups.

I will scan the syntygraphy results (whith ultrasound pics of both healthy and shunt puppy) for those interested in what it looks like.

Its been a long, long month, and although I was hoping for a better outcome it was not to be. :D

Again like the Parvo, I choose to make this public (was just waitng for results) for the good of the breed and any other breeds who carry PSS and what to know what happens.

When OH has scanned pages will upload :)

Amifor Cookie Monster (aka Cookie)

post-3968-1249113444_thumb.jpg

Not many people do stich, but if we all help, maybe a genetic marker can be found :rolleyes:

Im sure many breeders find themselves with somthing genetic that they dont want. These things happen unfortunatly. That mating will not happen again, both parents were PSS clear too, so it was somewhere behind them, who know where?

Linda did say that she may have someone who would adopt her and have the op. Two other pups have been signed over in the last two years (not mine) and this has happened. I just do not have a spare $3000 for a shunt operation, and I cannot justify giving her to someone. At least vet tech know 100% what they are in for. I did however find very interesting that not all shunt operations are 100% fool prove as sometimes the shunt diverts or the blood vessels reopen, I didnt know that until I did speak in length to Linda.

Thats a good link Stich, I dont have that one! lol

tkay, its a extrahepatic shunt (found in small breeds)

Thanks for the warm wishes.

Tris, I hope little one is ok, also chatting to Linda, diet (Science Diet LD food) and antibiotics when a flare up of vomiting, runny poo etc occours can be ok for some dogs. She also had a pup diagnosed at 12 weeks (cairn again, not mine) that is now 3 with his shunt managed this way, as they didnt have funds for op. So it can be done that way too, as long as you know what you are dealing with.

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/cardiova...mic%20shunt.htm (also a great link)

Edited by Missymoo

Must be devestating for your breeding program, it's worse when the mode of inheritance isn't known so I applaud you for helping to get the markers identified and working towards eliminating shunts :rolleyes:

I have heard of shunts reappearing after ops but my impression was that it's usually with acquired shunts as opposed to congenital ones, most of the info I could get hold of suggested that congenital ones that do reappear are indicative of permanent liver damage in dogs that have had the shunt for quite some time?

Either way hopefully one of the vet techs will have the funds to do it, I don't have a huge amount of faith in medical/diet managment over surgery because my boy was on ABs, lactulose and hills LD while waiting for surgery and he was still having bouts of sickness and there was still higher risks of kidney stones, liver damage etc.

Not saying it can't be done but IMO surgery is preferrable.

I had a puppy with a liver shunt. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and looking back he used to sleep way more than the rest and he performed really badly in his puppy testing - however, he didn't have the tell tales signs of not putting on weight or a poor coat. He went to his new home and at 12 months they could no longer keep him as they were both working shift work and he needed daily exercise otherwise he became destructive. So I took him back and found a lovely new home for him a few weeks later. By this time he was over 12 months of age and as agreed the new owners took him in to have him desexed. The vet ran a pre-op blood test and they phoned me when they had the results.

We were looking at $5000 for surgery and there were certainly no guarantees. The research I had did found 6 other tollers with a liver shunt. 5 had had surgery which was unsuccessful (2 of these died within 24 hours of surgery) and 1 had gone down the conservative path of changing diet and lifestyle. None were still alive. Because surgery was so expensive and the success rate was so poor, we decided not to do ultrasounds or further investigations but to take the conservative option. Changing the diet made a big difference and Phoenix did really well.

At 18 months of age his owners one day came home and found him walking in circles and banging into walls. He did not know where he was or who they were - and we made to decision to have him pts. I wouldn't wish this on anybody :rolleyes:

Awww some sad storys :rolleyes: I didnt know it was in Tollers, interesting. (Id did a DOL search and found your story a few eeks ago though when I was doing research inbetween testing of pup.)

I am such an advocate for puppy testing along with many other Cairn Breeders as Id rather know asap and not follow the same genetic lines or home a baby with out know ing only to be told months later having the puppy go downhill, that would be devestating for owners :laugh:

Pretty much all Cairn Breeders test now days which is awesome :laugh: We also have a health watch commitee in the club that anonymous results are forwarded too as well.

thanks for sharing guys :rofl:

Hi tkay,

Looks like she very well may be adopted as there are a few people interested in her over at Werribee, great news, Im so pleased. Aparently a vet nurse has fallen in love with her and is doing her darnest to find her a home! I am a little relieved, will keep you posted :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Glad to hear that your girl has been adopted.

My cousins sheltie was diagnosed with a liver shunt at 7 months. Due to the expense of the operation and the not great success rate they decided to manage by diet. He got another 12 months but then the decision was made to put to sleep as he was deteriorating and was fitting.

It is a mongrel of a condition.

I applaud you for not sweeping this under the carpet and for allowing your girl to be used to try to find a marker for this condition.

Tashabailey, the vet most cairn Breeders use here in Victoria has a government grant to try to find a marker for PPS in cairns. She has done and is doing remarkable research. I was sad to hear my girl had it but at least she hadnt gone to a pet home to have what happened to your friend :thumbsup: She did all the same followup testing on the healthy litter sister to to compare which was really interesting. All the findings have been forwarded to our breed clubs health watch commitiee. Maybe working together we can find a marker and breed selectivly!