Sasha's Blend: Palatability

My own dogs haven't been arthritic and I have no personal experience with Sasha's blend.

Sometimes I get dogs, in the boarding kennel, who come with a supply and instructions to sprinkle a spoonfull over their biscuits. My experiences is that, often, this results in the dog not eating the food. I tasted a tiny bit, and it really is STRONG. Of course dogs often like nasty tastes.

Just curious, do people who use Shasha's blend have trouble with food refusal? Or do you do some sort of trick to camaflogue (sp?) the stuff?

I don't use Sacha's Blend (use a different brand) but when I give Elle hers I need to mix it in with some sort of liquid or she won't touch it. Usually I just use a bit of lactose free milk or natural yoghurt but on cold nights I use some stock dissolved in warm water - that's her favourite, she inhales instead of eats :thumbsup:

ETA: If I have none of the above then I just crack an egg and mix it with that and then crush the shell up too.

Edited by Mim

Both the dog and the cat absolutely love it! I often sprinkle it on something I know they're not too keen on and it usually gets eaten.

Our cat Appollo has bad arthritis and has had a remarkable turnaround since we started him on Sachas Blend, Kei doesn't really need it but he gets a bit on top of his dinner every now and then anyway. I highly recommend it :rolleyes:

My last Shepherd was on it when she tore her Cruciate Ligament, after her operation the vet suggested we add this to her meals and she never had an issue eating it, infact when we went back to the vet for her follow up he had said he has never seen a Shepherd my old girls age heal so quickly and so well so very glad we put her on it.

It´s great stuff!

I can't believe you tasted it - the smell is enough to make me feel ill!!! :thumbsup: You are braver than I am!!!!!

In saying that, both our dogs (and, if given the opportunity, our cat) are happy to eat it sprinkled over their kibble every day - they seem to love it!!!

Often have customers in the boarding kennel who bring Sasha's with them for me to give their dogs. Never had any problems with dogs refusing. I know it smells yuk but that is to us humans. If dogs show any reluctance to eat their dinner then if you sprinkle a bit of olive oil over their dinner it usually raises their interest.

Have had experience with this product for nearly 20 years (when it first came out for horses, but often dog people would use it, have seen some great results.

Funny how some 10 years ago vets never recommended it. They tended to treat it like 'quack medicine' along with the idea of animal chiropractics. Nowdays they sell the stuff......

Who knows . . . perhaps the dogs are kosher (which prohibits eating fish without fins) and don't like the shellfish taste (it isn't simply fishy . . . it is mollusc taste . . . try it yourself if you don't believe me). . . or maybe they just like the meat or meat rolls so much better than the dry that they're turning their nose on the stuff. No big worry. I don't think missing a week or two will have a long term effect on health. Next time I hit this problem, I'll have a go at mixing with chicken blood or some such and see if they'll accept it as a gravy.

Edited by sandgrubber

Our dogs never touched the stuff, we feed Joint Guard. It's a heaps better product! And no smell or taste!!

I agree, I gave SB to one of my older girls and she wouldn't touch it. I changed to Joint Guard.