Ok- I Am Ready To Be Criticised...

This morning... about 11 hrs ago.. Hamlet ate what I'd left out for a couple of the other dogs... probably around 3 double handfuls of Uncle Albers....

I didn't find out for a couple of hours.

he has been ok... but somewhat bulging.. I gave him degas capsules ..he has two doses, and about an hour ago, I gave him a MINTEC.

he appears to be getting larger :rofl:

No vomiting, or attempts to.... he is looking for more water, which is to be expected I guess.. and I am letting him have small drinks and frequent...

he doesn't seem too distressed... but now I am wondering if I should have taken him to the vet....

A vet trip is not easy... about 120 km.. half on dirt roads.. I would have to take mum as well- she can't be left alone ....and she's not very well...and there's driving at night...kangaroos etc :rofl:

I also don't , in my heart of hearts think I would put him thru the surgery....so it would be a trip to nowhere....

I am worried.. Kieran my Dane X ..he got bloat/torsion, and I had to put him down... he was distressed quite soon after stealing food- and had the rapid swelling, the vomiting of white foam... the restlessness.... it was awful.

Please tell me that he just now has a gutful of nicely soaked food.... and soon he will have diarrhoea or smelly farts or something.....

I just don't know....

Our other dogs often blow up after pigging out on lamb flaps or other fatty meat... then next day they smell to high heaven ,and are fine... I never worry about them.

Because of Kieran tho.... I am so scared of what may have to be done later on....

Ok- so I am not a caring owner, or one who will do what is right.... sorry for that. I do what I can in the circumstances....

I hate being so isolated.. and also hate knowing most of the worst case scenarios..and I hate being broke, and a wuss, .....

:laugh:

Apologies..if I have shattered anyone's perception of me :rofl:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlas and Kaos got into 7kgs of dry food the other day, At was very bloated, i didnt feed him for a few days and he is ok, this is the second time they have done it

Glad someone else has those sort of dogs too . :rofl:

We had one old koolie girl... she was about 12 at the time..and she actually climbed INTO the food drum..ate until she was at bursting...and couldn't climb out :laugh: When I went to put the bucket back ...there she was. She looked awful for a couple of days.... but was ok...

Guest Pandii

PERSEPHONE, prayers all will be fine, I am sure Hamlet although has a tummy ache should be ok, its not worth risking your mum at this time of night.

Thinking of you

A Neo breeder once told me a trick for warding off bloat. Something to do with cod liver oil?

I think it was Nancy Keck, perhaps see if her phone number is on her website and give her a call. I am sure she would be only too happy to help with some tips.

Edited by Clyde

Do you have any Gripe Water or anyone with a baby that you can phone to borrow some? While the degas tabs will help, Gripe Water really does get them burping, farting and all sorts of other lovely things - AS LONG AS IT'S NOT TORSION.

If the stomach twists you have little else to do than find a vet. However, there is a lot that you can do in the meantime. I'd stop the water overnight, but it may be worth phoning your vet for their opinion on that.

Keep Hamlet cool and relaxed. Try to get him to sleep. If he begins to pace, his stomach sounds hollow when tapped (like a scone), or he just wants to stand and rock - then find medical help.

There is a technique of using a garden hose (unless you have a softer tube) gently put down the throat into the stomach to release a build of gas that can work, however you need someone to talk you through it. It will only work though if the tummy is in the right place and that gas is present.

More than likely, he has a gut full of food, some water, and is over excited. Rest and time should fix it - we had a Saint eat 10kg of dry food in one afternoon when she broke into another room then opened a full bag. Was as wide as she was long and groaned for three days but no other harm done.

You are NOT a bad Mummy!

Sags

My old cattle dog and my shih tzu got into the barrel of cat biscuits once. These barrels on legs met me when I got home. They managed to open the roller door on the garage (not locked, just pulled down) and get into the barrel and eat about 10 kg of cat food between them.

I had never heard of torsion back then so didn't worry, just hardly fed them for the rest of the week and they were fine. Squirting everywhere for days though.

I now have biscuit barrels with screw top lids :laugh:

I now have biscuit barrels with screw top lids :laugh:

so do i, but if they hit the ground hard enough on the side, the lids pop off, took me months to get At to drop on command, but he learnt that the lids pop off after one go at it!

I always double check the door to the locker i keep it in is shut, but the other day i was a bit upset over some stuff and didnt double check.

you know, i also have a pragmatic approach to going to the vets and i think i am a great dog owner!!! i have also lived out bush and have had to do my fair share of stiching up cuts and healing boils and everything else in between. it just makes you very handy to have around. no criticism from me.

so the main thing is to keep the puppy quiet and maybe lie him on a warm hot water bottle to give him some relief. is there an after hours vet you could call to ask them what they would do and what to watch out for?

i hope you have a very smelly house soon!!!!!!

Well... he seems more comfortable.. he has done poo... emptied a gallon from his bladder, and there is a slight odour in the air around his bed :rofl:

he just brought me my socks from the bathroom...and expected something in return ( I am having a very late tea...as my stomach is not in such a tight knot as it was...)

he is still a bit uncomfortable.... but isn't dashing for the water like he was.....

Re: holding off on water..When Kieran was in trouble- the vet said they need to drink to help move the dry along....and to dilute the extra salt... don't know...

Anyway- he will have a bit more now before bed in a couple of hours..tho I may just sleep in my armchair tonight!

Thank you everyone...

:laugh:

Oh- both he and I have emptied the rescue remedy bottle :rofl:

Edited by persephone

cod liver or even paraffin to help him poo as it will dehydrate the insides

what sized dog? kelpie sized a tablespoon or two and give it some time then try again in 6 hours. Dont give huge amounts of water or the food continues to swell adn cause discomfort.

he should be fine. My walking black and tan tube did it a couple of weeks ago, no food for 2 days and he was back to his normal self :confused:

probably around 3 double handfuls of Uncle Albers....

One thing I've noticed with Uncle Albers is that if you soak it in water, it doesn't visibly swell.....it just gets soft on the outside. I tried soaking it for my oldie, thinking she'd prefer it like that and was surprised that it didn't double in volume like other kibble does.

I hope Hamlet's OK.