My Bubby Has Severe Constipation

Bubitty

Hi Guys

I just need some moral support. Went to emergency vet last night and she said he may need an enema but we can try laxatives first. The laxatives are not working so I am taking him to our normal vets as soon as they open at 9 am.

Just need some moral support. Its all my fault because I have him too much bones on the weekend and now he has a huge hard buildup in his rectum (according to emergency vet). :confused::whisper:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bub- don't fret ... I had to give many dogs enemas whilst working at the vet. and also have done so for our own dogs occasionally... providing it is just a hard dry mass of bone, it should be fine :confused:

if you do give him extra bone-- or it is warmer weather..make sure he drinks some extra fluid.. and perhaps give him some sardines in oil as well :whisper:

Poor you Bub :whisper:

Just for future reference, whenever I give lots of bone at any one time, I always make sure the next meal is kibble as the bulk always pushes things along.

Bubby will feel much better very soon, (and so will you :o ) and no, there is no permanent damage, your boy will be bouncing around a lot sooner than you realise! :confused:

OK, this just happened to my little whippet Feather a few months ago. she had the enema but it didn't work. What did work was electrolytes. The vet said give her 30lms every hour until I went to bed. Instead I continued to give them every time I woke up during the night as well. I am a light sleeper. She ended up getting close to a litre of fluids overnight, for a little dog that's alot. Interestingly she never wee'd once over night, it all went into softening that cement turd. It worked a treat and she did a big poo in the morning. I hope all works out for your boy, you certainly aren't the first person to do this.

This happened to Diesey dog when we were on holidays.. we gave him some raw chicken and he drank heaps of water and that helped move it.. but I was the poor sucker who had to let him out 7 times in 4 hours till he managed to pass the sucker!!

He was fine, but we're now really careful how many dry bikkies we give Dies, as in his case that was what caused the problem. He was a miserable boy till he pooped then was back to normal!

He is safely at the vets and will be on an IV drip after he gets his Enema. They probably will keep him overnight to see how he is. Vet assured me they will take good care of him, and keep him on the drip and that he will be ok.

He is safely at the vets and will be on an IV drip after he gets his Enema. They probably will keep him overnight to see how he is. Vet assured me they will take good care of him, and keep him on the drip and that he will be ok.

I hope he's all better soon.

Unforunately his treatment seems like overkill Bub - no doubt they take advantage of your anxieties! It's not a life threatening illness and the IV drip and overnight stay seem completely uneccessary to me.

Unforunately his treatment seems like overkill Bub - no doubt they take advantage of your anxieties! It's not a life threatening illness and the IV drip and overnight stay seem completely uneccessary to me.

It seems an expensive exercise to me as well... altho maybe they xrayed him or something and there is need for caution....

:confused: for bub anyway :whisper:

I've been through this twice with Esme, absolutely no more bones for her!

The first time she had a series of enemas and came home the same day, she was fine.

The second was more serious and she went in to clinical shock. Pale gums, listless, drooling etc. The vet was concerned she was going to die (as was I). She came home after a couple of days or so and hemorrhaged badly overnight needing to go back to emergency. It was a very expensive mistake financially and it took Esme a few weeks to fully recover. She was very thin and her coat became dry and brittle, all in only one week.

If your vet recommends overnight stay and fluids then I would definitely go along with this rather than board members who haven't actually seen the dog. Bowel blockages can be a very serious problem.