Molly Has Cancer

ninoid12, just sending lots of love and hugs to you and Molly. I hope to see good news on here when I have a look. I lost my old girl to cancer last November. There is never a time for it, no matter what their age. xxxxxx

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANKYOU AGAIN

(i will not stop thanking you all, so get used to it lol)

I guess so, the vet should have said 'we'l just do tests to see' or something. It certainly has stressed me! She must feel its cancer though. From the weight loss this week, diahoroea(sp?!) accidents inside, her lack of interest in food, i dont know. :thumbsup:

Still preying for a miracle. But, even if it is cancer, i just want some more time. And preferrably her to just fall asleep when leaving us, before the evil cancer side happens. :cheer:

From the weight loss this week, diahoroea(sp?!) accidents inside, her lack of interest in food, i dont know. :thumbsup:

Again - not to give you false hope, but the person I spoke of in my earlier post also expressed weight loss and loss of appetite. I'm not sure if diarrhoea or inappropriate soiling were also experienced, but there are some strong similarities to what you have expressed and to what this other person experienced in her dog as well. I believe the appearance of the swollen lymph nodes was very fast as well and that there were numerous others that the owner hadn't initially seen, so don't be too hard on yourself.

The best you can do is to try to remain as positive as you can be, just storing the possibilities of the worst to the back of your mind (as obviously it is impossible to dismiss them) and enjoy every single day with your dog, sharing the joys as you have done right up until this turn of health occurred.

Is she still not eating?

ETA: The person who I've referred to above also described her dog's lymph glands as becoming "as large as golf balls".

Edited by Erny

To be honest I can't believe that a vet suggested cancer with just enlarged lymph nodes - that could be many things. I am not saying I don't believe you, just that most vets would not say that to worry someone unless they were sure it was cancer and you can't know that without the correct testing. I think it is irresponsible of vets to mention cancer without confirmation as it worries us so much and puts so much stress on us that our dogs pick up on and that does not help them when they are unwell either.

Even before Ollie was dxd with Mast Cell Cancer the vet did not say 'cancer', all he said was that the lump was suspicious and he wanted to test it - when I asked what he meant he said that he just wanted to be sure.

Fingers crossed

I understand what you mean, Staffyluv, although I'm not sure I completely agree. I agree that it would perhaps prove best if Vets didn't jump straight to the worst in the absence of conclusive evidence, but I think they do have a responsibility to tell us what the list of possibilities are (the best and worst scenarios), as they see them at the time.

Thankyou. Needed to hear that about not being my fault not noticing. I mean, i noticed it, but didnt really click. :thumbsup: The vet said it wasnt my fault, and that i was a very good owner for coming in and trying my best. And for caring. Of course, who wouldnt care?! :cheer:

Molly had some dry food mixed with natures gift with the probiotic powder from vet, for breakfast. She ate VERY slowly and didnt seem to want to, but i kept standing over her pointing at it. She's such a good dog, does what i ask of her.

Going out for arvo tea later to pig out on choc cake and naughty stuff. Stuff the diet, stuff the 'dont eat for comfort', i need to escape reality.

Nina I'm so sorry to hear of Molly :laugh: She is a lovely old girl so enjoy every moment with her that you possibly can regardless of the outcome. I am praying and have everything crossed that she may have just picked up a slight infection, after all with our job it is highly possible.

Many many hugs to you and Molly :thumbsup::cheer: :D :)

Come and keep sharing with the dol community, many members have been through the same thing and there is a wealth of help, support and information on these pages.

Thankyou. Needed to hear that about not being my fault not noticing. I mean, i noticed it, but didnt really click. :thumbsup: The vet said it wasnt my fault, and that i was a very good owner for coming in and trying my best. And for caring. Of course, who wouldnt care?! :cheer:

Molly had some dry food mixed with natures gift with the probiotic powder from vet, for breakfast. She ate VERY slowly and didnt seem to want to, but i kept standing over her pointing at it. She's such a good dog, does what i ask of her.

Going out for arvo tea later to pig out on choc cake and naughty stuff. Stuff the diet, stuff the 'dont eat for comfort', i need to escape reality.

There is no way it's your fault, she is an old dog and they have their ups and downs all the time. At least you got her to the vet quickly.

Did drive-thru Maccas for molly tonight. Got her a hamburger, just the meat patty and bun. She thought all her christmas's had come at once. Lol she scoffed it down on the front seat of the car, whilst i held back the tears.

She seems ok tonight. Looking for food crumbs in kitchen. Guess she will have her ups n downs from now on. I hope i get the results tomorrow (sat) like they said they might. I have organised to have monday off, and work knows i might need tues off as well. we'll see.

At around 2pm i got the news.

Molly has lymphoma.

And her kidneys are pretty much gone.

The vet has told me i only have a couple days with her. So to let her have anything she wants, no special foods or medication. And that i will know when it is time.

I am devastated. I have been crying for three hours, i cant cry much more. Molly and i went for a walk, well a meander, down to the park. I ran playfully, she chased me wagging her tail like a puppy. Then i turned around, pat smacked her bum and pretended to chase her. She joyfully watched over her shoulder as i 'ran' after her.

That half hour at the park this afternoon was amazing. I saw all the years go by. The dog obedience at Moorabbin Dog Club when she was younger, the times she slept IN the bed under the doona cuz it was cold. The kisses she would give me when she knew i was upset. Everything.

And to see her playfully chase me was magic. Absolutely priceless.

I am now bawling my eyes out having trouble seeing the screen. I will go now. I have taken the week off work. I feel like she is almost ready. Which i dont want. But i honestly think she is almost ready. I plan to take her to my mums place on monday and get Molly's vet to do a house call. We have used John the Vet in Bentleigh for 15yrs with Mol. I love that vet. And i know he will do a special trip for her. Mum has a gorgeous japanese maple in her yard, with a rock garden around it and a pond with goldfish. Molly used to lie next to that garden in the sun and lie there for hours, daydreaming with the heat of the sun on her shiny black coat. That is where i want her to fall asleep.

*tears rushing down my face*

I will update you when i can. For now, Molly and i are going to kick back and enjoy ourselves.

Thankyou. All of you.

~Nina~

I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds as if you and Molly have had a wonderful life together and you will have lots of memories to treasure. I hope you can spend some more time with her and I'm sure you'll know when it's time to let her go. We can only try to give our dogs the best life we can, and when this is no longer possible we have to let them go as easily and painlessly as we can. You'll do the best for Molly as you have always done. I'll be thinking of you over the next few days.

I am so sorry for your bad news Ninoid12. :driving: You and Molly will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Good to hear that Molly and you had some fun at the park....something special to add to all the lovely memories you have of your lives together. Try to enjoy the days left with her. It is so hard, I know, but try not to let what is ahead overshadow the moments with her too much. Sounds like you have had a wonderful life together. We lost our girl of nearly 17years last year and I still miss her every day, but we loved and enjoyed every day we had together.

She is a beautiful girl, and you must have been a wonderful owner to her. She is lucky to have you, and you her.

I feel so sad, because I know how you are feeling. Love and best wishes to you and Molly.

Tears here too ninoid12 for yo and your lovely Molly. It is so hard when our loved dogs get sick and leave us. I don't know which is worse, knowing what's going to happen, or having a young dog die suddenly - they're both gut-wrenching.

You are doing great- having lovely fun times with your dear girl, and doing the necessary planning (consider in that planning whether you're going to opt for cremation or burial - I know that sounds macabre, but I have found it really helpful to have made that decision ahead of time.)

You already know that you have plenty of comforting thoughts coming your way through cyber-space.

Thankyou. So much.

Molly and i shared some mars cake just then. She only had one mouthful and refused the rest. She is getting tired, i can see it in her eyes. I dont know if i want her to fall asleep tonight and not wake up. It would be her choice and painless. But god, i dont know how i will cope finding her gone.

:eek:

I am looking up cremation sites atm. Are there any threads on this? I will go check. I think i have chosen one, which will allow pickup 24/7 from your home. Which is very special, and i will pay the extra for that special treatment. I know some only pick up and drop off ashes to vets. I hate the thought of having to take her there to be moved again. :thanks:

Molly was a shelter dog. She had already done almost her months worth of adoption time. She was a stray found wandering the street at around 9mths old. I was looking for a golden cocker spaniel puppy. I looked at three other shelters, but the SECOND i saw her i knew she was mine. Yes, i realise she wasnt a puppy puppy. Nor gold. Nor a cocker. But i just knew.

Nobody had chosen her, because she had a sign 'needs high fences'. But when we got her home, we worked out why they put that. She used to jump up and down on the spot for her food. Never jumped the fence. Ever. Even till just recently she still did mini-jumps on the spot for her dinner. Very cute.

I have taken my rotti and wolfy to stay at work (boarding kennels) for a few days, so we can have special time together. Molly spent the first 20min looking for them, but has now settled down on the couch.

I just gave her a 10min massage, which she seemed to love. Gentle, not into her muscles like i used to. She hasnt got much on her atm, mainly bones. :)

Sorry if i crap on, i need this venting spot. And god i appreciate this being here.

Thankyou again.

~N~

Molly certainly knw what she was doing when she found you - that's a lovely story. :eek:

And vent away - I found DOL such a comfort when I lost my 6 year old BC boy suddenly last year. You know that the good folks here know exactly how you're feeling, whereas non-dog people have no idea.

If your dear girl does fall asleep and not wake, while that's awful for you, it will be nice for her.

My thoughts are with you and I hope you manage some happy moments through your tears.

We went through a similar situation with our 11yr Malt in my avatar in feb this year. She was so special and my shadow but in her last days would barely manage outside for a walk so we sat for hours on the front steps. Your story has brought me to tears all over again. We got an amazing last week and yes, we knew when it was time too. Its just not fair that after so long of love and loyalty, of providing us friendship and comfort that they are taken in this way. I too willed her to go in her sleep but in the end we made that call.

Rant and vent all your like and know there are many here who understand your pain and your grief to come. Take comfort in the time you have to say goodbye and know you are giving your dog a special gift by ending the suffering.

Thinking of you

Bec

I feared that Molly would have Lymphoma. Her symptoms are all the same as my Lucy's were. We were told a week maybe two at the most, Lucy only lived a few days after diagnosis before her lungs and heart were also failing. The day we had her pts she had a maccas icecream. Her last days here she got everything and anything she wanted.

I know exactly how you're feeling. :thanks::eek:

Also on the subject of cremation, I have used All Roads Lead to Heaven twice and found an exceptional service and don't require full upfront payment. Irene is a fantastic lady and very comforting in our hard time with Lucy and 18 months prior Cloudy.