Litters Due In November 2009

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was fun!! :rofl:

After a night of nesting and panting and grunting and groaning, Koda finally started contracting in the wee small hours. Unfortunately, by about 6-ish I really wasn't happy with her progress. She wasn't settling into any kind of pattern and I really felt she should have been further along. I left it until around 6.30 and then rang the vet who told me to come in and he'd meet me at the surgery.

When we got there, there hadn't been ANY contractions whatsoever in the car and when he examined her, her cervix was open but not thinning and although he could feel the puppies lined up, there was nothing presenting so we decided to go in and take them. Because it wasn't an emergency as such, we had time to set up properly and he called a nurse in early so the three of us were on hand when he went in.

He said it was a VERY good thing that I trusted my instincts because had I left it a day, I probably wouldn't have had any puppies at all. Placentas had separated and a couple of them were just starting to show meconium staining in their sacs. They were well and truly ready to be born.

So.......with the exception of one tiddler at 198gr, the others are all between 204 and 263gr.

2 brindle dogs

2 black dogs

2 brindle girls

3 black girls

Yep.........Koda's little secret was NINE puppies!!! :rofl:

9terrorists_birth.jpg

kodabubs_birth.jpg

Looks like it is the weekend for Staffords, Storms temp is down to 36.8

Rang my vet and he is busy for the next couple hours, Storm is showing no other signs at this stage so feel it is safe to wait.

Should have babies later on today :rofl:

Leanne

Alright smarty pants! :o

I'm just so glad I acted when I did. The vet was really good. He's one at the practice who I had never actually seen and he was fantastic about being woken up this morning. When I described what had been going on, he complimented me on my record keeping and said he'd see me at the surgery.

It was very interesting just chatting to him while he set up to prep Koda. He says that he has various degrees of animal related "incident" that he classes as necessary to disturb his sleep. A whelping in the hands of an obviously experienced owner/breeder is one of them. He said he doesn't even count snakebite as being "essential" unless the snake was in the house because any self-respecting dog owner would have the dog in the house with them.....same as road accidents. Unless it was an escapee, anything happening at night is the fault of the owner. Very straight down the line he was.

I don't know who was more thrilled with my puppies, myself or him (or for that matter the nurse who got called in). The three of us made a really effective team. The nurse was lovely, a little gay Asian guy who obviously lives for his job. He was so sweet with the puppies and Koda. I felt like kissing him! :rofl:

Good luck with Storm. Will be watching with great interest!!!!! :rofl:

Now Stormy girl hurry up Im very impatiently waiting to see your arrivals

This 2 hour wait on the vet is killing me :rofl:

I have the puppy basket, blankets, towels, hot water bottles all in the car ready to go.

Storm is still sleeping on the lounge oblivious to it all :rofl:

Leanne

:rofl::rofl: Good girl Koda, and congratulations Ellz on your split timing to do the best for her.

That vet sounds like a gem, I would not let him out of my sight, he sounds so like the husband and wife team that I am very fortunate to have just two minutes by car from here.

They are just gorgeous, Alice the Yank, will be wondering what is going on, as you will be pretty busy for awhile with that crew.

Hope all goes well for you, Koda and the little munchkins.

Leanne I hope all goes well for Storm this afternoon, I know the waiting is a killer, sounds like you are very well prepared for the trip, great weather today for transporting dogs so you will need a waterbag or two for your babies by the looks of things.

Ellz,

ONLY 9, are you sure the Vet didnt leave just a couple in there :):)

Judging by the size of poor Koda's belly, I would have bet my house on there being at least 11-12 :o:)

HUGE congrats to you, and the very much more comfortable Koda :o:o . Cant wait to see the gorgeous widdle timewasters :):o

Ellz,

ONLY 9, are you sure the Vet didnt leave just a couple in there :):)

Judging by the size of poor Koda's belly, I would have bet my house on there being at least 11-12 :cheer::cheer:

HUGE congrats to you, and the very much more comfortable Koda :) ;) . Cant wait to see the gorgeous widdle timewasters :o:o

:o Considering TWO of the other vets counted 6 definites on xray, I'm probably very lucky there aren't a darned sight more! But no, definitely no stragglers....I woz there and saw her entire innards laid bare on the table beside her! :o

Koda and her gang are doing very nicely at the moment. She has been out for a piddle, had a long drink and something to eat and is now back in bed snoring with her kidlets. They're all rotating nicely amongst her 8.5 functional boobs and there has barely been a noise out of them since we got home.

Good bubbas and surprisingly for Koda, a very sane first-time mummy! :)

wow 9 babies. Huge congrats Ellz and Koda on your lovely bundles. Those weights are cute. I have never had one that size. Your vet sounds really nice and good on you for acting on your instincts.

After Cassie having her litter I think i have found a vet who i will use forever now. He was awesome. He wasnt at work he was at home and he came in special to do Cassie. With 2 vet appointments and the ceasar all up he only charged me $800 and thats was a saturday arvo. Not sure if thats good but i think it is and because we didnt have to to sort out payment he was like just come in monday. Now that is a great trustworthy vet i reckon so he gets my business now.

Come on Stormy your turn now.

wow 9 babies. Huge congrats Ellz and Koda on your lovely bundles. Those weights are cute. I have never had one that size. Your vet sounds really nice and good on you for acting on your instincts.

After Cassie having her litter I think i have found a vet who i will use forever now. He was awesome. He wasnt at work he was at home and he came in special to do Cassie. With 2 vet appointments and the ceasar all up he only charged me $800 and thats was a saturday arvo. Not sure if thats good but i think it is and because we didnt have to to sort out payment he was like just come in monday. Now that is a great trustworthy vet i reckon so he gets my business now.

Come on Stormy your turn now.

Hhhhhhmmmmm wonder if he is my vets brother :rofl: .....it's great to know their are some fantastic vets who really are concerned with the care of animals rather than just how much they can make on the "job"

Storm.........any news yet Leanne :rofl: hope all is well and there are lots of healthy bubbas in there :laugh:

We are home again.

Storm had 6 pups but 3 didn't make it. She had 4 girls and 2 boys and we bought home 3 girls.

Black white girl - 340g

Black girl - 310

Brindle girl - 314g

104_6438.jpg

104_6443.jpg

Storm is recovering well and the bubs are feeding well :laugh:

Leanne

Congrats Leanne & Storm....sorry about the ones you lost

They look lovely and have free range at the milkbar now

Thanks FBC

I am very happy with 3, hopefully this means I don't need to top them up :laugh:

and having 3 girls gives me a good choice, I am liking the black and white girl.

I will get better pics tomorrow when they have all settled in.

Leanne