Puppy Crying!

Matthew_B

Hi all

We got our Lab Retriever - Beau - home last night. He's absolutely adorable (I'll post pics later) and very affectionate. The only thing is, he cried almost non-stop through the night until we put him in our ensuite not far from our bed (he had been in the laundry one door down from our bedroom and ended up sleeping a solid 3 or so hours until it was time for us to get up. How long does this crying last for when a puppy is separated from its litter? It's heartbreaking to listen to the poor little guy whining all night long.

now is the time were you have to decide were the dog will sleep, so if its outside keep him outside and dont let him in when he cries.

If its in the laundry then do the same ignore the cries.

others may think different but i feel that its not good to chop and change the sleeping areas.

It will also be much easier to toilet train the pup if he is sleeping inside and close to you, so you can take him to the toilet every couple hours.

Good Luck

My first 3 never cryed at all at night, but my 4th boy how different he was screamed blue murder for the first 2 nights solid, so on the 3rd day I got him a crete and we never looked back, he is 19 months old now and still sleeps in it. I was never a lover of cretes until my 4th but I can really see how some pups benifit from them. Good luck.

Ps make sure if you decide to get a crete that you get one that he wont grow out of, so down the track if you still want to use it you don't have to fork out more $

I agree with using a crate. They are the best ever invention for puppies. I like to have my puppy in a crate next to my bed for the first few weeks. I use a cat collar with a bell so that if the puppy wakes up and becomes restless, the bell wakes me and I can take the puppy outside before any accidents happen. This has made toilet training so much faster and easier.

It is very stressful for a puppy to be taken away from its litter mates. In the wild any young pack animal totally alone will die and all your puppy's instincts are telling him to cry out for the rest of the pack to come and find him. If he is close by he can hear you breathing and knows that he is not alone. He will also be warmer in the bedroom than in the laundry. Later when he is more secure you can move the crate to another room or wherever you want him to sleep and when he is older (and has outgrown chewing) can either leave the crate door open or put it away and let him sleep in whatever kind of bed you choose.

Matthew buy a size 36 crate, put it in the lounge, your ensuite or your bedroom, depending on where you are.

If you are watching telly you can say to him - in your crate, throw a little treat in there - a bone or biscuit - and he will go in there. Close the door and leave him to have his sleep in there. Each night put the pup either back in the crate in the lounge room or move it to your bedroom. Cover the crate and he will learn to sleep there.

This has enourmous advantages. firstly he has a nice safe place to retreat to to eat his treats and to sleep. Secondly you have given him a place to sleep that he will learn is his NO MATTER where you put it. As he gets older and more settled you can gradually move the crate to another room such as the laundry. EVentually he will sleep in it no matter where it is - even outside.

The other advantage is that you can collapse the crate adn take it with you to visit people or on holidays and he will have his own space there too.

I could prose on about the advantages but you will learn more as you go.

COme back to the lab thread and talk to all the lab people about crates.

If you search through the advertisers on the lists you'll find some different kinds of crates. For a Lab you'd probably be better off with the collapsible metal type crates rather than plastic or soft crates. Once you start crating your puppy you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. Your puppy will always have a safe place to rest and any time you can't watch him you can know that he will be safe and can't chew anything. I don't like leaving a dog in a crate all day as seems to be done overseas but they are wonderful for a pup to sleep in at night and times when you are busy. There are lots of links to articles about crate training here. http://www.k9events.com/pups1.html

COme back to the lab thread and talk to all the lab people about crates.

No stay here. I love hearing about puppies and don't want to go through all the breed threads to find puppy stories. I won't be getting a puppy for some years so have to get my puppy fix hearing about other people's. :D

Edited by 4Kelpies

here you go

a metal crate

(you can usually buy them with sectioners too)

Looks very (too) small, with no area for him to go pee or poo. I'd rather stick with our current setup in the ensuite - his bed in one corner with newspaper on the floor in the other corner for him to toilet on and enough space for him to play with his toys if he wakes through the night.

Matthew, where do you want your pup to toilet in the long run? Crate training would mean getting up during the night to take the pup to where you want them to toilet. Be careful using paper products for toilet training- remember your pup will develop a preference for surface and you may end up with a pup who toilets on any paper, anywhere in the house.

:love: The whole idea of a crate is that he DOES NOT toilet in it ...rather, by taking him outside - you teach him that outdoors is for toilet- not inside! :D

Paper training is ok.. and if he is doing it,and you're happy with it- that's good :D just remember- you have now taught him that the ensuite is his toilet- and he may want to continue using it when he is grown up ;)if he does- it is not his fault

here you go

a metal crate

(you can usually buy them with sectioners too)

Looks very (too) small, with no area for him to go pee or poo. I'd rather stick with our current setup in the ensuite - his bed in one corner with newspaper on the floor in the other corner for him to toilet on and enough space for him to play with his toys if he wakes through the night.

Puppy shouldn't go to the toilet in the crate, that is why there is no room for it. I don't crate train but many who do promote it as a good way to toilet train.

In my opinion, part of raising a puppy is getting out of bed and taking them outside to toilet when they wake up during the night. I only have newspaper down in the puppy pen to absorb any accidents. I think by encouraging him to go on the newspaper during the night you are hindering his toilet training. In my experience, puppies become toilet trained faster if you are taking them out during the night to do wee/poo rather than allowing them to use their sleeping area as a toilet. It doesn't take long for a puppy to hold on during the night.

ETA: I am always too slow!

Edited by Mim

My boy who has been in the crate to sleep from 8 weeks of age has never toileted in the crate, if he needs to go he will cry so i take him which is very rare he has a night bladder of steel!! :thumbsup: I would not be leaving paper or puppy pads down, I only think this confuses them and gives them licence to go anywhere and not necessarily teaching them where they really need to go. Hard I guess if you are away from the house and the pup is inside for long periods of time, they have to go somewhere not an ideal situation, I went through this with my lot but I am only gone through the day for 5 hours max, so mostly they slept while I was gone.

Lots of puppies cry when they 1st leave mum & the other pups.

Foolproof cure is to let them sleep in your bed. Instant peace.

If you dont want to do this sleep your puppy some where warm & comfortable. There are pillows you can buy with a heartbeat sound in them that is said to comfort them initially or put him close to you in a pen or large crate so you can comfort him, but that may make him worse & cry for your attention. Depends if you mind & how rigid you want to be.

All normal for this to happen, usually stops after a few nights.

Lots of puppies cry when they 1st leave mum & the other pups.

Foolproof cure is to let them sleep in your bed. Instant peace.

If you dont want to do this sleep your puppy some where warm & comfortable. There are pillows you can buy with a heartbeat sound in them that is said to comfort them initially or put him close to you in a pen or large crate so you can comfort him, but that may make him worse & cry for your attention. Depends if you mind & how rigid you want to be.

All normal for this to happen, usually stops after a few nights.

The only problem with letting him in the bed is he will always want to sleep in there and he is a lab, so will grow a lot :thumbsup:

My girl cried for the whole of the first week like her throat was being slit (Much worse than any pup I've ever heard). She was in a travel crate, after I put up a baby gate to keep her in the laundry with her crate door open so she could go in and out of it she quietened down a lot. The only problem is being a Belgian Shepherd (who are known for their natural skill in agility type arenas) by the age of 3 months she could climb over it :thumbsup: So NOW Miss Roxie sleeps in my room next to my bed on her Pet Futon bed and she has learned not to go toilet inside. She puts her front paws on the bed and licks/nudges me if she needs to go outside :thumbsup: