Water Bowl Problem

first timer

Bellla is a very cheeky 16 week lab puppy :eek: and she is forever tipping her water out :laugh:

How do I stop her from doing it??

Im not too concerned atm because its still quite cool her but once Summer kicks in...it will be a different story!!

I don't know if this is helpful but we have a bowl that has rubber on the bottom from the pet store...it stops our lab pup from pushing the bowl around. She does get into it with her front paws and plays with the water but hasn't managed to tip it out yet.

I've also resorted to concrete water bowls in the past as well as stainless steel pails trojan-clipped to fences, star pickets etc. For dogs who like to dig at the water in bowls, automatic waterers can be a good investment if you are on mains water.

I bought a K9 Cruiser bowl and although it's great at preventing spills, it doesn't stop my pup from flipping his bowl upside down (and therefore having no access to water). In the end, the only thing that worked for me was using heavy duty double-sided tape to secure his water bowl to the floor. Luckily he has (mostly) grown out of his water obsession.

I have an emergency water bucket outside for my dogs with a brick in through the summer. I use heavy ceramic bowls inside but I don't have a tipping over problem. In the shelter I volunteer at we use a tyre with a bucket wedged inside for dogs who spill their water.

We use 3 stainless steel water pales in various different areas that the dogs have access to. They are great, and the dogs have not tipped them over as yet. However, years ago when I had a bowl tipper, I used to put the bucket inside a car tyre to keep it up. worked a treat. :laugh:

It depends on the size of the dog really! I have friends who use buckets part filled with concrete for their GSD, whereas for my Border Collies a brick or two in the bottom of the bucket has usually been enough.

And having a couple of water buckets is always a good idea too!

Argh a total pain.

We get boarders who who do this & it drives you nuts.

If dogs are really obsessed the self waters will still allow access but wont stop filling.

The reality is try & stop the behaviour because it really has far more pitfalls.

Generally the people with issue dogs have the round concrete slab & place the bowl inside or if you do a self water place it up the wall so it cant play but drink only