One Meal Or Two Meals A Day?

=SaNdY^BaBii=

At what age do you all change over from 2 meals to one a day?

We don't :laugh:

We have a 7 1/2 month old Rotty boy who is still on 3 meals a day, but he is starting to gradually wean himself from lunch. He will eventually go down to 2 meals a day and stay that way for life, along with the rest of our dogs.

I've always fed two meals a day too....I find it strange that people would object to feeding twice a day? :)

Gypsy is 6 months old now and would still gladly eat lunch if she was given it - when we moved to two meals from three we just adjusted the amount accordingly, so she doesn't get fed less or more, it's just fewer meals.

Given the speed at which she eats sometimes, I'd be worried about feeding her only one meal a day, and I'd also end up with a dog following me around the house constantly looking for things to eat.

It depends on what you feed. I feed my dogs a raw diet and they get fed once a day. In the Tom Lonsdale and Clare Middle books they recommend feeding adult dogs once a day. If you're feeding dry though definitely twice a day.

Two meals a day here for all my dogs, adult and puppy.

Mistral is a bugger for eating and will pick at food seeming to get bored quickly so feeding little meals more often helps him, Alchemy and Lestat could eat until they popped so I feel more comfortable giving them smaller meals too.

One proper meal a day here for adults. Howard is still very light on for condition so at 15 months he's still on two meals a day.

All dogs get a chewable treat when I leave in the morning.

Edited by poodlefan

I still do 3 meals here, and Heidi is 19 months. When she goes to boarding kennels, they give her 2 and she copes fine, but we just fall back into our 3 times a day routine when she comes back home.

I'm feeding my 6 mth old Husky 2 meals a day, the larger at night. :laugh:

Will probably keep that up til fully grown then bickies in the morning and proper meal at night (which'll be a change cause he gets bickie mixed in at night and none in the morning atm)

• 2 weeks later...

I feed 2 meals a day, found that on one meal my kelpies got too thin, they have dry in morning and Ecopet roll at night, I feel that this gives them carbohydrate for energy during the day to burn off. Also, when I have fed dry at night they will be up all night chasing anything that moves!