One Meal Or Two Meals A Day?

=SaNdY^BaBii=

Hi All,

Just a quick question, MOMO is now 6 months old and she gets fed once in the morning and once at night.

I was wondering if it's too early to feed her only one meal a day?

She is quite large for her age already and is a little over weight (VET said need to watch her weight :laugh: )

At what age do you all change over from 2 meals to one a day?

thanks!

I haven't :heart:

We went from 3 meals down to 2 at around 6 months old and will continue to feed two small meals for life.

What breed is Momo? At 6 months old she is still a puppy and should probably stay on 2 meals per day :laugh: If she's overweight you should try cutting down her meal sizes first, then go to 1 meal a day later on if you prefer.

My friend gives my grief for feeding our 7month old lab twice a day. But I think it is up to personal preference as we spend 2-3 mins bonding/training time with her. We feed Charli twice but smaller meals. If were both at work, her morning meal might be a big meaty bone which also doubles up as entertainment. We also measure charli's food to ensure we dont over feed her and take into account any treats/bones.

It would probably also depend on the dog as my friend's dog just isnt interested in food and barely eats her one meal a day but Charli would eat herself sick if given the chance. :laugh:

Always fed adult dogs twice a day, so personal preference I reckon. As to when to switch to one meal if that's your choice - depends on the breed. A toy breed might be OK at 6 months but I would wonder about energy issues with the little ones, a bigger breed definitely not until they've finished growing which could be anything up to 18 months old. What did the breeder's puppy pack recommend?

Momo is a pom x bichon, so in the toy breed category from what I saw in the VET's poster?

I think I will continue to feed her 2 meals as she seems to be so hungry if she doesn't eat in the morning.

Might just cut down on the quantity of each meal though!

Would a small handful of kibble in the morning and chicken bone/meat at night be ok ??

Yes, I would definitely continue 2 meals per day but cut them down.

I am often surprised at just how little dogs need to eat. I feed about 1 kilo of cooked loaf (my own recipe) per evening between 5 whippets. Within that loaf there's probably only about 300gms of meat, if that, that's amongst 5! If you saw my dogs you'd see they are all fit and healthy. Not overweight, but not skinny. In the morning the 2 bigger boys get about 3/4 cup of dry each and the girls get about 1/3 dry each. It's not much.

Edited by Kirislin

My almost 8 month old Shepherd gets a bone in the morning and dry food at night. He just stopped eating breakfast so I went with what he is comfortable with. The bone makes me feel better because he at least gets something in the morning.

I feed twice a day for life...........3-4 times per day, depending on the pup. If the dog is overweight I just give two smaller meals. At our place our meals are equal sized.

We have large dogs and there is always a possible bloat problem, we have been blessed and never had it in the last thirty years (touch wood)............but even our working kelpies get two meals per day.

Edited by newfsie

Just cut down the amount you are feeding in each meal and keep to two meals a day. Most dogs do better on this way of feeding. Even if the brekky is tiny it is still something in their tummy. In saying that I always feed equal amounts morning and night.

Edited by laneka

• 3 months later...

We feed our 10mth old Lab twice a day. We simply split his total daily quantity into two - the reason being is to minimise the chance of tummy bloat. Our vet recommended this as our last Lab suffered from this condition.

My puppy is 9 months and weaned himself off lunch and then breakfast on his own. He would have a mouthful or two and then wander off to play or do something else. Just wasn't interested. He has been on one meal like the other dogs since about 7 months and is fine. He has more than enough energy :)

Twice a day for life. A few years ago our old shep x mal got bloat, it was touch and go and just horrible and scary. If twice a day reduces the chance of that happening again, Im all for it. Also, if Kaisha (our female malamute) starts throwing up if she gets fed later than normal, she seems to have quite a sensitive tummy.