Are Chicken Necks That Bad?

KismetKat

A friend has a new pup and I recommended they start a varied diet to include small chicken necks, small chicken frames and also sardines.

The owner has been for a vet check today and the vet said chicken necks were not good as "they have had dogs they have had to operate on because of problems with small pieces of bone causing stomach issues."

???

I know many people (including myself) that feed necks - do they really cause such problems?

A friend has a new pup and I recommended they start a varied diet to include small chicken necks, small chicken frames and also sardines.

The owner has been for a vet check today and the vet said chicken necks were not good as "they have had dogs they have had to operate on because of problems with small pieces of bone causing stomach issues."

???

I know many people (including myself) that feed necks - do they really cause such problems?

My Daughter's Vet told her the same thing, she was going to give her two dogs some but he advised not to for the reasons that your friends Vet said.

I am often told not to feed by GSD's chicken necks because they are too small but we have never had a problem.

I guess we never had a problem because we do freeze them in bundles and feed them frozen - so the frozen bundle is chewed rather then swallowed.

My boys love them :thumbsup:

from what I have read, too much bone and not enough meat can cause impaction of the bowel.

I think that's right. I've fed them for years without a problem too, but I wouldn't feed them alone for too many meals. Not meaty enough for me for them to be the major part of the diet. I might feed them a few times a week or if more often add meat or a meatier RMB to the meal as well.

Edited by Diva

I had the opposite response from my vet when I took Kei in for his 12 week vaccination. At that stage I was only feeding him 1-2 necks every 2nd day and my vet told me I should up it to 3-4 a day as the calcium was good for him. So I guess it depends on who your vet is :)

Now, at 11 months I feed him around 500-700g of chicken necks or frames most days (alomg with other things of course) and have not had a problem.

Mine has been on chicken necks/wings for 7 years. On rare occasions he regurgitates them and eats them back again. He also has a bad habit of "drinking" his necks. *cross fingers touch wood* he has been normal on that. I am more worried about chicken wings actually.