5437 From Blacktown Pound - See Pics Of Her Safe

I had been watching this girl since she came in.

A small Kelpie x Border Collie with one of the biggest hearts I have so far, had the priveledge of meeting.

She caught my eye from day 1.

Using her kennel mates legs as leverage she stood up and stared at me trembling in fear. Poor girl, I thought and stayed to comfort her.

She had the sweetest temperament, so soft and submissive. She stole my heart and I knew from day 1 she'd be safe.

I would if worse came to worse and she wasnt adopted or going to rescue would bring her home myself to re home her.

Worse DID come to worse and when I visited today was told she was in URGENT need of Rescue.

I asked for her to be taken out of her kennel and taken to the exercise run so I could spend some time with her one on one as opposed to patting her through wire.

As soon as she was walked from her kennel my mind was made up. She'd be coming home with me. There was NO need to put her in the exercise yard, my decision was final. :cheer:

She is so small and so shy. A very gentle girl.

Whislt finalising paperwork, I was informed her name is Jasmine, she is 6 ys old and desexed.

When we got to the car she stood up ever so gently and leaned on the drivers door, waiting for me to let her in.

I drove home with her on my lap :eek::)

At home she got a good, looong bath. She lapped it up and didnt move once, just stood there and enjoyed the lather up.

She was a little shy meeting the rest of the family, but loved them all including my toddler Son.

I took her for a long walk to the Park, she enjoyed and appreciated every minute of her new found freedom.

She has eaten well and is now fast asleep in the bed with my Son. :cheer:

pics to come :laugh:

When she first came, she barely wagged her tail she was extremely shy but by tonight she is wagging and starting to play too. She loooooves belly rubs and rolls over on her back waiting for them she also nudges your hand for a pat, she is very adorable. Oh and she follows you like a shadow. :cry:

AND believe it or not, she likes the Sons pet guinea pig. I couldnt believe it when I introduced them. Carefully I might add.

They're best of mates. Incredible. :eek: so I dare say she'd be fine with cats and other small pets too.

She will stay with us, as part of the family until her new furever home comes along........

Listen to me, anyone would think I was a proud new Mum. :eek:

ETA spelling

Edited by k9angel

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've gone and made me cry :eek:

How wonderful for that little dog !!. Well done k9angel :eek: I have been watching her in the Blacktown post and she was so pretty I thought for sure she would be adopted. Isnt it sad how sometimes really lovely dogs are overlooked. Jasmine is such a sweet name!

What a lovely warm fuzzy read.

:)

Jasmine is doing well.

She slept like a log last night, and this morning went for a walk in the garden though prefers to be indoors.

She wasnt used of sitting on lounges until now :cry: poor girl, took some persuasion to get her on it.

She is used of sleeping in the bed though and she will continue to do so whilst here.

This morning when my Son woke he came in to my room followed closely by you know who, they BOTH jump in to the bed, there we were, Me, Jack and Jasmine under the quilt with her head sticking out. We fell asleep but was awoken shortly after by the younger son, who was up and ready to play. :laugh:

Then, poor Jasmine was laying on the lounge room floor and Jack ACCIDENTLY stood the end of her tail hairs.

She got up, didnt even blink an eye or turn to see what it was - she is bomb proof. Makes you wonder what she went through in her 6 years? Did she have a good home? judging by appearance and temperament she did, but she is so shy and so submisive, maybe its just her nature? who knows?

She's a beautiful girl, thats all that counts.

I find the kelpie x borders always seem to be sweet natured.

Great save but can I add something

She sounds like a lovely girl and so deserving of rescue but due to public safety and pound dogs

Dogs coming directly from pound situations should not be walked on streets or leave a property until they have done quaranteen

They might not have anything but could be carrying spores on thier skin or could have KC and infect others

I am yet to rescue a dog from Blacktown that does not have KC, I am not complaining as pounds have disease, but if she infects on old dog, or a young dog under one year KC can be deadly

She sounds like a lovely girl and so deserving of rescue but due to public safety and pound dogs

Dogs coming directly from pound situations should not be walked on streets or leave a property until they have done quaranteen

They might not have anything but could be carrying spores on thier skin or could have KC and infect others

I am yet to rescue a dog from Blacktown that does not have KC, I am not complaining as pounds have disease, but if she infects on old dog, or a young dog under one year KC can be deadly

Yes I agreee most of the dogs I have bought home have had kennel cough. But she is fine. They must have outbreaks or something at the Pound. For a few mths when I visted almost all the dogs had KC, but lately its been quiet, havent heard much of it at all. My own dogs are vaccinated against it, even before I started visiting the Pound, due to the large number I have my vet advised that many years ago.

Thankyou so much for your concern though, its much appreciated. :shrug:

Yes I agreee most of the dogs I have bought home have had kennel cough. But she is fine. They must have outbreaks or something at the Pound. For a few mths when I visted almost all the dogs had KC, but lately its been quiet, havent heard much of it at all. My own dogs are vaccinated against it, even before I started visiting the Pound, due to the large number I have my vet advised that many years ago.

Thankyou so much for your concern though, its much appreciated. :thumbsup:

If you think so

I rescued a Shar Pei bitch from there 8 weeks ago

9 days into foster care she came down with kennel cough

Her pups then almost died of Kennel cough

Just because a dog is not displaying symptoms does not mean they do not have it

Quaranteen needs to exist for a reason, to stop the spread of Parvo, KC and other nasties

Your dogs might be vaccinated, but not all are, and not all dogs are not vaccinated due to owner neglect, some have immune diseases which means they cannot be done

All dogs being released from pound, especially a pound with a high incidence of Parvo and KC should be quaranteened for 3 weeks

Thankyou so much for your concern though, its much appreciated. :laugh:

If you think so

Quaranteen needs to exist for a reason, to stop the spread of Parvo, KC and other nasties

Your dogs might be vaccinated, but not all are, and not all dogs are not vaccinated due to owner neglect, some have immune diseases which means they cannot be done

All dogs being released from pound, especially a pound with a high incidence of Parvo and KC should be quaranteened for 3 weeks

I do not recall a pregnant sharpei at BP. I have been visiting each week since the start of the year and have never come across a pregnant sharpei??

And I know they do not have to display symptoms to have KC.

I have NOT had Jasmine in with my other dogs and she has NOT come in to contact with any outsiders - she has only been with my kids and I know KC CANNOT be transmitted to them, so I dont feel the need to worry.

At the end of the day Jasmine is safe and happy and thats what this is all about - HER! ;)

Thankyou so much for your concern though, its much appreciated. :laugh:

If you think so

I do not recall a pregnant sharpei at BP. I have been visiting each week since the start of the year and have never come across a pregnant sharpei??

And I know they do not have to display symptoms to have KC.

I have NOT had Jasmine in with my other dogs and she has NOT come in to contact with any outsiders - she has only been with my kids and I know KC CANNOT be transmitted to them, so I dont feel the need to worry.

At the end of the day Jasmine is safe and happy and thats what this is all about - HER! ;)

Are you calling me a liar?

No one knew she was pregnant, she dropped the pups on me 12 hours out of the pound

I did not know either

Sorry but it is not just about her, it is about public safety and the rights and responsibilties we have as rescue to protect the public from disease

No your children cannot get KC or parvo, but it can be shed by Jasmine and transmitted to other dogs by her saliva, faecas, urine and even the fur she drops on a public street

It is irresponsible in the extreme to take a dog one day out of the pound onto a public street

Yes we feel sorry for them but you have to do the right thing, by the dogs, both Jasmine, your own and the unsuspecting public

I will go get a pic of Maggie and her puppies now, just to prove she did exist at Blacktown, she was released on 24/7

Here is 3 of the 5 pups

post-5038-1252978190_thumb.jpg

Edited by SharPeiRescue

And this is the girl in the pound

Named Maggie now

Is she familiar :cry:

No I am not calling you a liar. Anthing is possible at that Pound and MANY dogs do go unlisted.

just dont recall seeing her there, thats all.

And yes I do care about Public Safety. What about all the other dogs that are adopted and go home to be walked and introduced to the family resident dog?

Jasmine is only one of the many ones who come out of Pounds. She has spent enough time locked away & isolated and so we are giving her the benefit of being part of a family - to be loved again.

She is making such good progress coming out of her shell, if I had of just left her isolated outside quarintined from every one and every thing, we wouldnt be seeing these changes - she is only just starting to get some spirit back.

When she first came home she was SO scared of everyone and every thing. Now she is feeling more settled she is starting to come out of her shell. She even played today. ;)

But I do see where you are coming from and understand what youre saying.

BTW those puppies are georgeoooous. Good work.

She is lucky you came along.

SPR has a point... taking the dog for a walk before ending quarantine could leave nasties for other dogs to catch...

... and to state that you have done that here - well - leaving yourself wide open to "constructive criticism"... *grin*

Trust me - don't fight them on this one - they are right about the need for quarantine... even if no-one tells Joe Public adopting a pound dog not to take it anywhere for 2 to 3 weeks... grrr!

T.

SPR has a point... taking the dog for a walk before ending quarantine could leave nasties for other dogs to catch...

... and to state that you have done that here - well - leaving yourself wide open to "constructive criticism"... *grin*

Trust me - don't fight them on this one - they are right about the need for quarantine... even if no-one tells Joe Public adopting a pound dog not to take it anywhere for 2 to 3 weeks... grrr!

T.

Ok OK I surrender ;) no more walks for at least 3 weeks. Sorry to those I offended.

In future I will know better. Thank you.

Jasmine is continuing to thrive and was even playing today. She is still extremely nervous and timid but hopefully in time & with lots of TLC she will come right out of that shell she is hiding in.

I dont know what this girl has been through but it is heartbreaking to see her cower so easily, and be so afraid to open up.

She will need some time to adjust - it must be so confusing for a dog to be passed around from home to home. :p

She loves fresh brisket bones, she's not too keen on chicken, and she also likes the VIP roll. :)

I went out last night and bought her a new red leather collar as the ones I have were too big for her.

She has spent the day lazing about with my Son, sleeping on the lounge and making the most of the belly rubs that came her way. :)

She is now fast asleep in the bed. Curled up under the covers.

Iam not far behind :cry:

Way to go Jasmine! You are doing great k9angel... and it sounds like your little ones are doing a great job of helping too... *grin*

T.

Yes I am very fortunate to have 2 babies (one is 3 the other is almost 10mths) both love dogs dearly and Jack who is 3 is so gentle and compassionate with them. He babies them to no end. And they love it - they lap up all the attention and cuddles. The younger one thinks they are just hilarious, he laughs at them. I was watching as Jasmine gave him a kiss on the cheek this morning, he giggled his head off as her chin hairs tickled him. :heart: She thought it was great too wagging away.... :laugh: