The Best Thing I Heard At The Royal Was...

Elfin

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always get the "Look at the Husky" or "Malamute"

When told what our breed is they go "Oh what did they cross to get your dog". It is fun then trying to explain that our guys actually came first.

I had one mother comment on our Elkie being a Husky and when we corrected her she promptly replied "no its a husky". After a slight disagreement she walked away in a huff telling her children it was def a husky and we really didn't know anything

Now I am wondering what i am breeding if they are so certain.

Ah the joys of having our dogs at royals.

I must admit tho the majority of the public do come up and ask what breed we have as they have never seen one like them. The joy of owning a rare breed.

We have Finnish Lapphunds and I can't remember any strange comments about them. Most people just ask what breed they are and then give them heaps of pats and cuddles :rofl:

However last year, some people had obviously seen our guys first, then went further on and saw some of my friends' Australian Shepherds. Their comment was "here are some more of those Finnish Lapphunds" :(

That made my year last year :D Of course my friends weren't so impressed ;)

I have a Black and White English Springer Spaniel and was asked "what is she crossed with" my answer to that was "A LIVER ONE"

I then had to explain that her mother is black/white and her father is liver/white, I still dont think that even sunk in. :o

A few years ago I had some teenager males comment on how ugly my Boxer was, so my quick witted mother replied "have you looked in the mirror lately" they left very quickly :D

But my favourite this year was for my mothers chinese crested... "oohh i dont think i can touch that... it probably feels like a shavved nut sack..."

gotta love the royals LOL :):rofl:

Well, there went my old keyboard. Just doesn't like the coffee sprayed all through it's innards.

:rofl::cry::)

;) :rofl: ;) dont know which comment I am laughing about more...nut sack and mental picture of the coffee spray ...

:rofl: my question to them would probably be: 'and how do you know how shavved nut sacks feel?' :)

but then again.................thats probably WAAAAAY more information than I really need to know or really want to know about! ;) :cry::(

Oh yeah I thought of another one... not from a Royal, but I was walking my boy a few weeks back and we passed a lady with a cute little Silky cross. She asked what breed my boy was and I told her 'He's a Japanese Spitz', but I mustn't have said it clearly enough as she nodded and repeated back to herself "Aaaah, a Japanese Bitza" :rofl:

A few years ago I had some teenager males comment on how ugly my Boxer was, so my quick witted mother replied "have you looked in the mirror lately" they left very quickly

:laugh: Thats terrible! I'm going to steal that line if ever the need arises :laugh:

At the perth royal every year people remark "Look it's a Wolf!" about my husky (who is actually named wolf), but this year we had a sign up with his show name up, and some people walked passed, the man goes "Wow, it's a wolf!" and the wife corrects him, "No, its an Aarak Seppala wolf!" :laugh: It was hard not to laugh.

• 3 months later...
We get "where's the other 100?" followed by guffaws of laughter *sigh* :rofl:

They must be smarter down south. We always get "where's the other 99?" as I walk ONE dalmatian past.

The Pugs are usually Shar Pei's or Bulldogs. I have has one person tell me my Pug was a Cocker Spaniel as she bred them so she knew.

My favorite was the fathers that told his kids with all authority that the Dalmatian is the dumbest dog on earth and he would never own one. It was very late at a Royal so replied that they were not Dalmatians but Mexican Spotted Dogs. He left telling the kids that when they got home they were to look up the Mexican Spotted Dogs and find a breeder so they could buy one.

We get "where's the other 100?" followed by guffaws of laughter *sigh* :hug:

They must be smarter down south. We always get "where's the other 99?" as I walk ONE dalmatian past.

The Pugs are usually Shar Pei's or Bulldogs. I have has one person tell me my Pug was a Cocker Spaniel as she bred them so she knew.

My favorite was the fathers that told his kids with all authority that the Dalmatian is the dumbest dog on earth and he would never own one. It was very late at a Royal so replied that they were not Dalmatians but Mexican Spotted Dogs. He left telling the kids that when they got home they were to look up the Mexican Spotted Dogs and find a breeder so they could buy one.

OK, I have to admit that I heard that one a lot when I was younger, and still have trouble shaking that image. In fact one of my breed books says that in the quest to breed for spots, Dallies have lost their intelligence :hug: .

Oh gee, sounds like I'm in for funny times!

This year will be the 1st time a White Swiss Shepherd Dog has been exhibited at Sydney Royal, wonder what comments we'll get :laugh:

From my vivid imagination........and knowing how full of knowledge some joe public are.... :rofl:

* oh look...Samoyeds now come in SHORT COAT !!

* Yes...they are the albino shepherds !

* Yep, shepherds turn white when they live in the alps !

And no matter HOW BIG your breed banner is........you will still have people insisting it's their version !!!

fifi

I will be going to Perth Royal with my Chesapeake who is a very dark brown, almost the same colour as a choc lab. So I am just sure I will hear about my lab all day. :laugh:

I must have made peoples days as a kid at a royal because I could recognise almost all ANKC breeds, so I would get rare breeds right (no wonder people were always so friendly to me :rofl: )

This year will be the 1st time a White Swiss Shepherd Dog has been exhibited at Sydney Royal, wonder what comments we'll get :rofl:

From my vivid imagination........and knowing how full of knowledge some joe public are.... :rofl:

And no matter HOW BIG your breed banner is........you will still have people insisting it's their version !!!

fifi

Oh good now we have three sizes.

Toy,Mini and now Standard short coat :laugh:

:rofl:

Edited by Wolfsong

This year will be the 1st time a White Swiss Shepherd Dog has been exhibited at Sydney Royal, wonder what comments we'll get :rofl:

fifi

Oh good now we have three sizes.

Toy,Mini and now Standard short coat :laugh:

;)

:rofl::rofl::cry:

no, no, dear.....those others are just Japanese & German SPRITZERS !!! :D (a nice bubbly drop !!)

fifi

fifi

I have a sign that says "Border Terrier" on it. I also have signs on each dog's bench stating their name etc. Their prefix is 'Glenbogle' and people ask/think the breed is a Glenbogle :) Or they just see 'Border' and ask where is the Border collie???