The Best Thing I Heard At The Royal Was...

Elfin

... a toss up between:

1. Josephine Public explaining the breeds to her kids. eg. As the Havanese did out and back: "now that's a nice Maltese Shih Tzu"

2. Young bogan guy asking what my staghound was crossed with, and if he could breed it with his piggin' bitch

3. Joe Public telling Mrs Public that the Collie puppy won Best in Show

4. Being told my Deerhound has "that horrible disease where her brain is too big for her head. I saw it on the telly", because my pup scratched her ear

I had a BALL! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... a toss up between:

1. Josephine Public explaining the breeds to her kids. eg. As the Havanese did out and back: "now that's a nice Maltese Shih Tzu"

2. Young bogan guy asking what my staghound was crossed with, and if he could breed it with his piggin' bitch

3. Joe Public telling Mrs Public that the Collie puppy won Best in Show

4. Being told my Deerhound has "that horrible disease where her brain is too big for her head. I saw it on the telly", because my pup scratched her ear

I had a BALL! :rofl: :rofl: :eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't you just love "experts" :rofl:

When I used to show Cardi corgis, I had one Joe Public ask me "where did I get my mini Gsds from?" :rofl:

Ah, the Royals... they are an endless source of entertainment :rofl:

I remember going to Sydney Royal in the 90's with Border Collies and there was a lovely Border on the bench near us... Mr Joe Public, who had been standing in front of us for a while and was ever so knowledgeable about everything, loudly proclaimed to his kids that "this dog here is a Tartan Terrier"...

...the dog's name, as per his bench sign, was Ch Kennoway Tartan Terror :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

My favourite thing I heard said at the royal was a little girl who said " I love your dog" while giving him a cuddle (which he just loved, ofcourse).

Not everyone you meet at these events are missing brain cells. I spoke to many people who were articulate, interested and wanting to learn.

Must have been in a different pavillion. :laugh:

My favourite thing I heard said at the royal was a little girl who said " I love your dog" while giving him a cuddle (which he just loved, ofcourse).

Not everyone you meet at these events are missing brain cells. I spoke to many people who were articulate, interested and wanting to learn.

Must have been in a different pavillion. :laugh:

My pup got lots of cuddles from some gorgeous kids, and I met some lovely people that were genuinely interested in my breed and in show dogs in general, and asked some great questions that I was more than happy to answer.

It's just that the comments I listed made me giggle... I didn't intend the thread to be anything more than a giggle...

Your think Mr and Mrs Joe Public get it wrong... how about the Ring announcer at this years Royal Melbourne Show who introduced the Boston Terriers as 'British Terriers' and then another day, same announcer, introducing the Border Collies as 'Border Terriers'

There might of been alot of articulated and interested people at the show, and i did indeed find some, but very few. Most children were very aware of asking before touching, but the teenagers and people in their early 20's had no hesitation in sticking their hands into the trolleys to have a pat (grope) and thus being snapped at. Even with a warning from myself saying 'please dont touch the dog, he is sleeping' they didnt listen.

Funniest "breed" comment I heard at a show (not a Royal) was at a local country show near here. There was a trolley full of Pembroke Corgis waiing for their turn in the ring, and a lady and her little girl were wandering past looking at the various dogs.

The little girl was about 4, and her mum pointed to the corgis and said "Oh look, aren't they cute? What breed do you think they are?" The little girl stopped in her tracks, crossed her arms, put her best thinking expression on, then announced loudly and confidently "Dingoes!"

I wasn't the only one who nearly wet myself laughing!

Yep we all hear things that make us laugh at shows but the one that dumbfounded me was at this years Brisbane

Royal.

I was desperately searching for a particular ATM machine so I went to the information booth only to be told

we can not help you we are not open yet........

I had a real numbnut a few years ago at an agi show ask if he could pat my guide dog [landseer newfie]. Had visions of Dana dragging him into the nearest river. Same show - new idiot - another bogan wanted to know if - for the hundredth time that day - if my dog was a saint bernard, so I told him it was a huckleberry hound. Dumbo walked off telling his kid "wondered what one of those looked like." :laugh::thumbsup:

I was helping another exhibitor out holding some beautiful and perfectly-sized Border Collies ringside at one of last year's Royals.. An onlooker passing by leaned across the fence and looked scornfully down at the dogs and their ribbons commenting disdainfully;... "WE had a Border Collie once but OURS was MUCH, much bigger than THAT" then marched off dismissively. Obviously a breed expert and we ought to lift our game... :thumbsup:

Elsewhere, the Maremma breeder for the hundredth time: "No, its not a Golden Retriever"; "No, you'd be best not to pat it".

To the Pembroke exhibitor for the five hundredth time; "So are you the Queen" (followed by raucous mirth).

To the Collie Rough exhibitor for the five thousandth time; "OH look! It's a LASSIE DOG"

:laugh: Save us from Royals. :laugh:

I was helping another exhibitor out holding some beautiful and perfectly-sized Border Collies ringside at one of last year's Royals.. An onlooker passing by leaned across the fence and looked scornfully down at the dogs and their ribbons commenting disdainfully;... "WE had a Border Collie once but OURS was MUCH, much bigger than THAT" then marched off dismissively. Obviously a breed expert and we ought to lift our game... :eek:

:) Save us from Royals. :eek:

I know the feeling with this one. I took Bella to the last Pet Expo for the gundog stand - she is the perfect size for a Brittany and was so sick of being told she is so small for a Brittany compared to theirs or whoever else's Brittany. Next year am going to take an oversized one