Dual Sired Litter

Ashanali

My liver feral bitch will only be having one litter with me so I'm considering trying for dual sired. She's is one of 12 pups and my girls average 8/9 pups per litter so I think she will carry a decent sized litter also. I have access to both sires I'm considering and being a maiden bitch I'd prefer natural matings (my girls never have issues with matings - they're terrible hussies). Most of my girls have had their large litters with only a single mating.

I've been doing a little research and it seems that, for even litter results, it's suggested to take semen from both sires and inseminate at the same time, but as I said, I would much rather a natural mating.

If trying for natural with both sires, what would be the ideal way to go about it so that there is an even chance for both sires to produce puppies?

Also what are the steps that need to be taken for DNA testing (as I've never DNA tested before)?

Both dogs/sires must be alive as DNA needs to be collected from them both.

All pups are to be DNA tested - can be done when a day old - mums milk does not effect results.

There has only been one dual sired litter of Danes that i know of, and that's in the US

A few Aust people have tried.

All pups are to be DNA tested - can be done when a day old - mums milk does not effect results.

There has only been one dual sired litter of Danes that i know of, and that's in the US

A few Aust people have tried.

It would probably have to be done a bit later as the pups need to be microchipped for the DNA testing.

Doesn't QLD now have a law that pups must be 8 weeks to be microchipped?

My liver feral bitch will only be having one litter with me so I'm considering trying for dual sired. She's is one of 12 pups and my girls average 8/9 pups per litter so I think she will carry a decent sized litter also. I have access to both sires I'm considering and being a maiden bitch I'd prefer natural matings (my girls never have issues with matings - they're terrible hussies). Most of my girls have had their large litters with only a single mating.

I've been doing a little research and it seems that, for even litter results, it's suggested to take semen from both sires and inseminate at the same time, but as I said, I would much rather a natural mating.

If trying for natural with both sires, what would be the ideal way to go about it so that there is an even chance for both sires to produce puppies?

Also what are the steps that need to be taken for DNA testing (as I've never DNA tested before)?

I know of a breeder that performs dual-sired matings very often and is extremely well experienced.

He has had great success within his breeding programme with these.

PM me if you would like his details....

Thanks everyone. It's all food for thought.

After a couple of pm's I thought I'd clear something up.

Kayo is my girl and I call her my 'liver feral' because she is extremely active and somewhat destructive although she's getting better as she's maturing (as you'd expect.) Kayo is in joint names with her breeder and will be having one litter with me before heading back to her breeder for another litter. I do have the option of having another litter with Kayo after she comes back from her breeder, but I'm also planning on breeding Kayo's mum one last time and I simply won't have room for more dogs - hence why one litter only for Kayo while she's here.

If I somehow win lotto and can afford a few acres, this may not be an issue. :cry:

Jerojath - I'll contact you for more info in a few days. Bogged down with work at the moment but would certainly love to find our more from your friend. :(

Is the breeder not interested in using either of the dogs you want? A litter from each sire individually could give you more choice in the long term - just a thought!

I don't know who she is considering putting her to but I do know she won't be interested in using one of the dogs and I don't think she will be interested in the other dog either (but I'd have to ask about that one.)

I would be interested in replies as well as I have just (last week) mated a bitch to two different boys.

All 3 parents are DNA tested already and I know I have to DNA puppies before I register them. I believe that they need to be chipped first, then DNA tested and finally registered with the kennel control.

These are the regulations I found:

6.5 Multiple Sire Litters - Intentional or Unintentional Multiple Sired Litters (10/07, 7.2)

6.5.1 Any breeder who has either intentionally or unintentionally used multiple sires

over a bitch must, when applying to register the resultant litter, submit the

following documents together with the appropriate Service Certificates and

Application for Registration.

6.5.1.1 DNA Test certificate in respect of each of the multiple sires used;

6.5.1.2 DNA Test certificate in respect of the Dam of the litter;

6.5.1.3 DNA Test certificates in respect of each puppy in the litter which are all

required to be tested at the same time;

6.5.1.4 A certificate given by a Veterinary Surgeon providing an interpretation

of the results of the DNA Tests as to the correct parentage of the litter.

6.5.2 Registration of the litter concerned will be processed based on the results

provided in the Veterinary Certificate.

6.5.3 All costs associated with obtaining the certificates required are to be borne by

the breeder of the litter

You can have DNA collected from semen. I've done this twice when we've done AI even though we knew who the sire was. You just need to specify on the forms that it is semen not cheek cells as it is a different extraction method.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would update this post as we got puppies from my Dual Sire litter. The DNA came back last week and they were registered today.

In the end we had 3 puppies from one sire and one puppy from the other sire. It has been a PITA to cross the t's and dot the i's to get them registered but it finally done and now I can get them entered in shows.