Need Some Advice

Ravyk

I have been roped in [thanks to OH] to do his mum's wedding photos. :laugh: But on the upside it means I don't appear in the photos! :p

Anyone [*pokes Ash*] got some tips for me on how do do decent wedding photos? People photography isn't my strong point.

I will be using a Panasonic Lumix FZ-28 camera.

Disclaimer: (and please don't take this personally) I'll be honest and say that I'm actually not the best person to ask due to predjudices against, 'uncle Bob' photographers. It sends a shiver down my spine knowing that people trust their day, a day when there are no second chances, to people who aren't wedding photographers. It's a damn hard job - so much so that pro-photographers of other genres often can't understand why anyone would want to do it.

Back in the old days, I would take a huge amount of xanax to get over the anxiety that weddings gave me (stress about whether I did a good job or not).

However, that being said, I will try and answer any questions as well as I can. I would also suggest that you head over to flickr and join the group, 'wedding photography'. Some people there will jump on you much like they do to noobs here at DOL, but there will also be others who will give you great advice (just like here at DOL. :rofl: )

First things first, you need to cover the basics.

Does the bride want photos of her getting ready? If so, you need to arrive as the make-up is being finished (about 5 minutes is all you should need), then capture the dress being done up, shoes being put on, all the little detail shots like jewellery, shoes, flowers, engagement ring, then portraits. Bride with mum/dad, bride with maids (all together), bride with maids individually, then take some portraits of the bride alone. this should take about an hour

Groom at the church, you will need to leave the bride about 30 minutes before she is ready to leave. Take photos of the groom with the groomsmen and also his family. You can take journo shots of the groom greeting guests. Remember to check your ISO.

Bride's arrival. Photos of the bride hopping out of the car, maids helping her to get ready to go inside, then a few shots of bride and dad having their last moments together before walking down the aisle (no posed photos unless you just want to make sure you have something useable).

You head in for ceremony. If in a church or chapel, wear quiet shoes. You will need to walk around and you don't want to make noise. Photos of the boys waiting for the bride, photos of bride walking down the aisle, photos of dad giving bride away. Take a wide shot from up the back of the whole scene, head down the front and just snap the nice moments and expressions between bride and groom. During vows, watch for tears from bride/groom/parents, make sure you capture the ring ceremony then stay close at the kiss follows hot on the heels of the ring ceremony.

After that there will be the signing of the registery. We don't pose these shots but most photographers do. Take your lead from the celebrant as they will have done it many times before.

As soon as they have signed, walk up the aisle and be ready to get the shots of them walking down the aisle. This is ALWAYS the shot that will give you the most emotion. Sometimes brides and grooms are sidetracked and start hugging family, take those photos!

When you get outside, don't stop. People will start coming up to the bride and groom to congratulate them, take these photos. Leave them for about 15 minutes of mingling, then it's family photo time.

Family photos are the hardest. Make sure they have a list and make sure there is someone other than you to chase these people up to get through it as quick as possible.

after family photos, head off to a location for about an hour with just the bride, groom and bridal party. You need shots of just the bride and groom looking at each other, kidding, cuddling, looking at the camera, then you need photos that include all the bridal party. Then you might want just the boys or just the girls. The best thing to do is direct rather than pose. "I want you to walk towards me slowly, but hold hands and keep chatting to each other". Much better than "stand there and look at me". (check out this link for ideas http://www.laurencekimblog.com/index.php?c...=13&start=5 scroll down to 'posing couples 101' )

When you go to reception, more mingling photos, also take photos of the room details... centrepieces, bonbonierre, cake, all the special stuff. Then you need to photograph the formal entry, cake cutting, first dance, speeches etc.

Take lots of memory cards. NEVER EVER download or delete when at a wedding (too easy to accidentally delete a whole card). Take lots of batteries. You never want to be stuck without batteries.

If you were anywhere near here, I'd drag you out to a wedding myself so you could at least see how it goes before you're thrown in the deepend. :rofl:

I do know a couple of adelaide photographers and I can ask if they will have you shoot at a wedding if you like? I have no idea if they have anything coming up though.

Anyway, hope this helps. Any questions just ask. :rofl:

Great advice from Ash, of course.

Good luck - it ain't easy. nothing ever goes as planned. people don't cooperate no matter what they say they will do.

Have some sort of backup camera - if yours dies, plays up or gets broken or whatever and you can't continue shooting with it, what are you going to do?

And likely expectations for the results will be high even though you are doing it for free. You will not be enjoying this wedding - you'll be working your ass off :rofl:

Edited by kja

I have been roped in [thanks to OH] to do his mum's wedding photos. :rofl: But on the upside it means I don't appear in the photos! :rofl:

Anyone [*pokes Ash*] got some tips for me on how do do decent wedding photos? People photography isn't my strong point.

I'm not a wedding photographer but I think you'd be very wise not to do this. No matter what level your skills, family expectations and the family relationship may see this end in tears.

If there was one area I'd never scimp on for a wedding its the photos. After the day has come and gone, what have you got left other than those?

Oh, and a new husband or wife of course. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

We have friends getting married in Bali.

They asked me if I would take their wedding photos (I have put some of my photos on facebook and they liked them)

I politely said 'NO WAY!' :rofl:

I explained that I didnt feel comfortable being solely responsible for the photographing the most important day of their lives!

I also still have a lot to learn and didnt feel that my photos would cut the mustard. How akward would it be if they hated them!?

I said if they want to get a photographer I would still take my camera along and take some extra shots for them if they liked.

I also wanted to be able to enjoy the day and not have to be running around stressed out of my head :rofl:

I wouldn't do it myself as the sole photographer but I always take my camera along any way and take some great shots of the ceremony/guests/reception (mindful of not getting in the way of the pro!) - I give the negatives/cd and a set of prints if I have had them developed to the couple (I still use my trusty SLR as I only have a point and shoot digital) :rofl:

I would guess that it being a second (??) wedding it won't be a big fancy one with the huge dress and church and bridesmaids etc.

Some great advice here :rofl:

Edited by kendall

Thanks heaps for the insight Ash and everyone else. *gets ready to murder OH when he gets home*

Ash no offence taken :rofl: I know wedding photography is hard and I'd rather leave it to the professionals but from what I can tell she is disinclined to hire a wedding photographer. It's only a small wedding [her second marriage] and she has put OH is charge of PA, his brother in charge of filming and me in charge of photos. I have already planned to sit down with her and ask her exactly what she wants for the photos. She is down this weekend to get suits fitted for OH and his brother, so I might be able to catch her then.

kja-thanks for the tip about the backup camera. I might ask my mate if I can borrow his for the weekend too. [same camera, plus he has a spare battery] :rofl: I don't really enjoy weddings anyway :rofl:

Oh and know thy ceremony. One of the celebrants here does the whole ceremony start to finish in about 3 minutes 15 seconds. No, I'm not kidding. Trying to get as many of those things that Ash mentioned and anything unique to the day in three minutes is a bit of a challenge no matter how much you pysch yourself up :D

becandcharch -> I'm interested in doing a Bali wedding :)

Not a wedding photographer either but i've assisted on enough of them to know that i didn't want to do it. :D

Yep, batteries and memory cards, lots of spares.

Try to fight the temptation to even review your pictures on the LCD screen on the back of your camera - that'll mean taking your eyes off the action, and temptation to edit in-camera. Have a quick look to check your exposure/clippings at the start, but leave it at that. (When i was assisting majority of wedding photographers were still shooting film, albeit with fussy magazines to reload - a blessing, really, there are enough distractions as it is.)

Get the full schedule (in as much detail as possible) written down and familiarise yourself with it. On the day, try to think 5 mins, 15 mins and 30 mins ahead of time, know where your subject(s) will be, where your light is coming from, and where you need to be in relation to that. Depending on how prepared you want to be, check out the venue in advance and see what the light is like at the proposed time of the wedding.

Don't forget your speedlight (if you have one; if not, beg/borrow/steal).

Get as close to the action as you possibly could. To quote the old Robert Capa saying, "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough." (Applies to most documentary photography).

Don't forget the details - decorations, place cards, the happy couple's hands clasped together, family and friends and their emotions, etc.

Some photographers insist on the boy-girl-boy-girl arrangement in posed shots, you can give it a try.

Don't lose the memory cards!

Lastly, try to enjoy the experience as much as nerves will allow. Good luck. :)

Eta: Apols if any of these are stating the obvious...

Edited by Poo d'état

I didn't mean it was any less important at all being a second wedding - just that there may not be as much emphasis on all the fiddly bits (but still nice to have I guess). Just going on my own mum and dad and their second marriages - both very simple and at home where the 'traditional' things weren't as 'important'. No professional photography at either - jsut family snaps but they were happy with that.

Agree with the lots of spare batteries and memory cards - then you can go nuts and cull them later :D

Good luck - I am sure you will be fine :)

I just hate the fact she's roped me in to do the photos on the basis 'because I can take good shots of the dogs'. :) :D Dogs are a little different than human photos.

Same thing happend to me a couple of months ago. My father was a wedding photographer many moons ago and I remember the stress he used to be under (in the days of film).

Anyway - the best thing I did, was attend the practise run before the big day.

I ( & the newly weds) was very happy with what I did - the bride and groom wanted mostly traditional, but they let me chose the photo location between the ceremony and the reception. This involved a lot of scouting around to find the "right" place - checking backgrounds, light/sun/time of day etc.. The bride was 8 months preggers so a lot of walking wasn't an option.

Good luck.

Edited by anniek

A good friend of mine is getting married in April and she has booked in a professional photographer. I asked if she wouldnt mind me taking some extra photos (guests, cake, wedding dance etc), nothing big if you know what I mean, just to learn more and get some more experience. She was over the moon and said sure! :confused: Its good because shes not placing any expectations on me, its purely just my own shots but in a more artistic way kind a thing. I dont think I could photograph a wedding on my own. Ash would have to pass me the zanex :laugh:

ETA - Your recent wedding shots on your FB page were amazing!!

Edited by Bellatrix

I have been roped in [thanks to OH] to do his mum's wedding photos. :hug: But on the upside it means I don't appear in the photos! :laugh:

Do you want some help (i.e. a 2nd photographer?)

Let me know :D

Andrew

I have been roped in [thanks to OH] to do his mum's wedding photos. :hug: But on the upside it means I don't appear in the photos! :laugh:

Do you want some help (i.e. a 2nd photographer?)

Let me know :D

Andrew

OH is going to be the 2nd photographer...I think, I'd ask you but the wedding is 1/2 hour north of Pt Augusta, so I don't really think it is too feasible to ask anyone to come up [since she is adamant not to pay for a photographer! It's going to end in tears...]