Tammy The 19yo Kelpie X From Canterbury Pound

Oh yes mita, Tammy has taught us all very quickly. I knew she had to be here as soon as I saw her but didn't think past that she was dear old thing that needed help.

Well she has really blown my sox off, I didn't expect 'the feeling' you mention and obviously know well :laugh:. Tammy has already given us way more than we could ever give her. It honestly feels like such a huge privilege to have her in our home. I had no idea it would be like that and you are 100% right mita, you couldn't explain 'the feeling' to someone who hasn't had the experience. The love and admiration I have for this girl that I have only known for such a short time is somewhat bizarre :love:

Thankyou mita, I will get some Protexin :rofl:

P1010501.jpg

Edited by Cazstaff

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've got the mother of your Wolfie girl Cazstaff. I only worked out on Saturday that there were two very similar dogs, and Karley said they were mother and daughter. The mum (I called her Wilma) is the funniest dog, she looks like a coffee table crossed with a flokati rug.

I think we've got the mother of your Wolfie girl Cazstaff. I only worked out on Saturday that there were two very similar dogs, and Karley said they were mother and daughter. The mum (I called her Wilma) is the funniest dog, she looks like a coffee table crossed with a flokati rug.

:laugh::laugh: Thats such a funny description Aphra but pretty accurate as well !

Yes it sounds like it, Karley was telling me they came from the same place. This girl is just delightful. She has fitted in here so well. Looks to me like has had a litter herself...maybe there will be more of their family to come?

I tend to call her Woof, I was hoping Karley may know her name as she was a surrender, but she doesnt so we will have to think one up. Leah likes the name Megs or Honey, my almost teenage son wanted to call her Ranga(like Orangatan) because of the long red tipped hair :D but I think we'll pass on that one LOL

Great looking pooch she is and no trouble at all :laugh: .

Caz can I move in with you please??? :)

Great save with Tammy, she looks like she is already well and truly at home. Great save with all your motley crew really. They all look so happy and at ease. A true credit to you lady. :D

Caz can I move in with you please??? :rofl:

Great save with Tammy, she looks like she is already well and truly at home. Great save with all your motley crew really. They all look so happy and at ease. A true credit to you lady. :hug:

You are welcome here anytime A-B-C! So are China and Bron :laugh: .

I cant believe how totally besotted I am with Tammy, its like having a new baby all over again! LOL. Im aware how long she has slept for, how long she has been awake for, I check on her breathing too often Im sure :hitself: , (yes even in the night, but she is in the same room so I just put my hand on her))I know exactly what she has eaten and drank and when, I know what comes out the other end and when ect ect....

Today she has started to come to me for a pat which is just so special :D , she is eating today too which is a relief. Yesterday she seemed sad and lost, wouldnt eat or drink anything (very stressful !).

Thanks for all the kind words everyone :laugh: , Every home should have a Nana dog :rofl:

Well she has really blown my sox off, I didn't expect 'the feeling' you mention and obviously know well :). Tammy has already given us way more than we could ever give her. It honestly feels like such a huge privilege to have her in our home. I had no idea it would be like that and you are 100% right xxxx, you couldn't explain 'the feeling' to someone who hasn't had the experience. The love and admiration I have for this girl that I have only known for such a short time is somewhat bizarre

I've been lurking and praying, praying that all goes well (haven't posted much lately :) )

To those mighty ad/promo people of oldies rescue....

This (IMHO) is the most appealing, the most convincing statement I have seen in a loooooong time. Heck, it makes me want to adopt a 4th dog as long as it's an oldie (cannot do atm but will in the future!).

So please use it - It's full of feeling, it's convincing, it's magic!

And just because I think she is such a great pooch.. my foster Diva :) (she was the skinny girl from Hay Pound :cry: )

P1010468.jpg

Caz - your furkids are beautiful - is Diva the bub we had here? If so boy she looks so different - well done!

Hi Lynne,

Thankyou, they are a nice bunch aren't they and all get along which is always a bonus :rofl:

Yes this is the girl you kindly picked up off transport and took home for me in the middle of the night :) (bless you, that was a big ask) when I was at my sons wedding. She had the messed up eye and was pretty skinny.

She is a looker now isnt she! Beautiful nature too, gentle smoochy, quiet girl, she plays like a puppy, she's so cute. I adore her. Her eye is now 100% fixed :) , we weren't sure if it would ever be right for a while there. The infection went with treatment but the eye still didn't open properly and when you did see in it didn't look right....you may remember that her eyes looked weird somehow.

How are Cloud and Shy doing?

I know (I think - LOL) that Cazstaff will excuse my going off topic to tell you the story of one of my oldie rescues. However you need to be aware that the sorrow and heartbreak when they leave you is no less if you've had them for 6 months or 6 years.

This is the story of Dumas from 2003. He lived for a week under 12 months:

Dumas was already a very old dog when I rescued him from a pound on Saturday 7 June 2003. Although he was fragile in the elderly sense, his condition wasn’t too bad: he was well fed, his coat was healthy, but his teeth! Oh dear. We put him on antibiotics for a week to build up his system as his remaining teeth had to be extracted, but still the veterinarian was concerned as to how he would cope and was worried that his jaw might shatter. We needn’t have worried - he had his operation at 9.30 in the morning and that evening he was “gumming” chicken necks in my backyard!

Dumas had a bark (for want of a better word) that sounded like the hounds of hell were being strangled. Gussy Cat was terrified of him and the other dogs looked at him askance. If they gave him the slightest bump or just rushed past him without even touching him, Dumas would scream as though suffering the most dire torture.

He would go into absolute paroxysms of delight at the sight of his food bowl and even towards the end, when a tumour had virtually destroyed his bottom jaw, he still hoed in without a second’s delay. He loved his wobbling walks and sniffing was his greatest joy. A walk with Dumas meant standing still and waiting for 5 minutes while he sniffed the bejesus out of a blade of grass, two steps forwards, another wait of 5 minutes, a quick retracing of steps in case we’d missed anything ...... and so on. I will never forget the time at Hawthorn Parade (near Cafe Bones) when Dumas was prepared to throw caution to the winds and follow a lovely little female . . . . . . .

Dumas crossed the bridge 51 weeks after he came to live with us.

My oldies have been Tilly, Rover, Dumas and Gong Zhu.

I can really relate to when Caz talks about checking their breathing. Gong Zhu used to love lying in the sun in the back yard, so If I had a dollar for everytime I went down and stood over her to see if she was still breathing, I could set up kennels.

What book is your beautiful daughter reading to Tammy?

Ahh you know Leah well Cyn, being deaf hasnt excused Tammy from being read out loud to :laugh: . Leah has been reading Paul Jennings Funniest Stories to her. She cuddles up to Tammy in the jumbo donut dog bed and believes even if she can't hear the words she can still feel her reading out loud to her and might like it.

Tammy certainly doesnt object :laugh:

I'll have to grab a pic next time I spot them.

Your Leah is a rescue angel in the making, huh Caz? She really has the touch when it comes to animals... nurture that... she'll go far with that awesome skill...

Obviously Leah is a chip off the old block... right Caz? What does she want to do when she's old enough to make a living? *grin* I reckon she's pretty well "grown up" already...

T.

How are Cloud and Shy doing?

We renamed this duo to Shadow and Beth! Shadow has impaired vision in one eye (blind in the other one) and can hear some sounds. Shadow's buddy is Dee Dee, the goat!

Beth has puppy manners and can be rather naughty. She loves digging rabbit holes and is being trained to dig in a clam shell. She has an unhealthy interest in reptiles but will not chase a rabbit - and we have plenty of rabbits here :-) She loves people and playing with the other dogs.

Both are nice pooches and a lovely couple living on property have shown some interest re adoption.

Good on ya Caz, the oldies bring you so much joy, and I do know the feeling you talk about, it's an amazing feeling and I am glad you have felt it.

Good luck with her and please give her a hug from me and my golden oldies. :laugh:

Yes it sounds like it, Karley was telling me they came from the same place. This girl is just delightful. She has fitted in here so well. Looks to me like has had a litter herself...maybe there will be more of their family to come?

Sorry for the off-topic aside, but ...

Sadly, we had to have Wilma put to sleep yesterday. When we took her in for desexing she was found to be full of mammary cancer. :rainbowbridge: It's so sad, she was such a sweet tempered and funny dog; she adored humans and just wanted to be near them. She should have had a lovely life with people who cared about her instead of being used as a breeding machine by some low-lifes. Vale sweet Wilma, I hope there are any number of tummy rubs over the bridge for you.

Sadly, we had to have Wilma put to sleep yesterday. When we took her in for desexing she was found to be full of mammary cancer. :) It's so sad, she was such a sweet tempered and funny dog; she adored humans and just wanted to be near them. She should have had a lovely life with people who cared about her instead of being used as a breeding machine by some low-lifes. Vale sweet Wilma, I hope there are any number of tummy rubs over the bridge for you.

Aphra :love: for you. Wilma will remember you over the :rainbowbridge:

What book is your beautiful daughter reading to Tammy?

Ahh you know Leah well Cyn, being deaf hasnt excused Tammy from being read out loud to :offtopic: . Leah has been reading Paul Jennings Funniest Stories to her. She cuddles up to Tammy in the jumbo donut dog bed and believes even if she can't hear the words she can still feel her reading out loud to her and might like it.

Tammy certainly doesnt object :rofl:

I'll have to grab a pic next time I spot them.

That is soooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet.

And Diva is just :rofl:

Oh Aphra how very sad, she looked so lovely :rofl: . Im so sorry for both of you. Even the young one I have here looks to have had a litter or 2 :rofl: Lucky she got out before the life had been bred out of her.

RIP Wilma, run free sweet girl :offtopic:

Sadly, we had to have Wilma put to sleep yesterday. When we took her in for desexing she was found to be full of mammary cancer. :rofl: It's so sad, she was such a sweet tempered and funny dog; she adored humans and just wanted to be near them. She should have had a lovely life with people who cared about her instead of being used as a breeding machine by some low-lifes. Vale sweet Wilma, I hope there are any number of tummy rubs over the bridge for you.

Your Leah is a rescue angel in the making, huh Caz? She really has the touch when it comes to animals... nurture that... she'll go far with that awesome skill...

Obviously Leah is a chip off the old block... right Caz? What does she want to do when she's old enough to make a living? *grin* I reckon she's pretty well "grown up" already...

T.

Thanks T, yes very much like me when I was a little girl. She does seem to have a calming way with the dogs, she is a great help with the fosters and always comes with me if we have to go to the vet or the pound.

As a child I used to bring every stray animal in the area home. Everything from the usual cats and dogs to a turkey( I still remember trying to pick that thing up :( ), lizards, a big white duck and many turtle's.

My mum often recalls the day she came home from work to find my bedroom (I was 11 at the time, 5th class)draped with plastic and blankets, an open can of tuna (all I could find in a catless house) and a bowl of water on the floor. When she looked further a cat she had never seen before was birthing its kittens under my bed... :rofl:

Earlier that day at the school assembly a teacher asked if anyone owned the very pregnant rather unfriendly cat living in the ash tray of the school incinerator.... Of course no one did, so she says ok, we'll get someone to come and take it. I was a junior memb of the RSPCA and thought the cranky cat would be PTS so in a flash of brilliance up goes my hand and I spurted out, ohh THAT pregnant cat, yes she is mine :D

Lunch bell rang, I scoop up the hugely pregnant cat, pop her in a box I found near the incinerator and sneak out the back school gate to take puss to the safety of my bedroom before racing back to school. We had tiny for many many years after that, she was never very friendly but safe happy & cared for.

Leah wants to be a vet or work at the Zoo. Or both :( She says she will still foster rescues like we do when shes grown up :rofl: I could handle a vet in the family, would be very convenient indeed!