Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

The kids and I have had a tough week and we are only just coming out of our hidey holes now. Watching Lexi run and keep all her bars up was the tonic we all needed. I don't run her, so it was special being able to sit on the sidelines and video.

Just a reminder about the agility and obedience Show N Go next Saturday 6th Feb at K9.

Go Lexi - she knew her mum needed it :rofl: - she must be close on her JDX title now too isn't she Ptolomy. She is such a good girl being able to be handled by somebody else and have her mum sit on the sidelines and video :) . While its a nice feeling to be out running its something else to be able to sit back and watch somebody else run your dog to perfection when it all goes right.

Edited by ness

Yeah figured it was close - sounds like a good plan about entering open Ptolomy :) . Certainly worth saving off for the Nationals.

Think Kenz is going to get a play in Open soon :rofl: .

Edited by ness

Guest RosieFT

Thanks Mason'smum. They get on really well. Mishka is top 'dog', but if she does run, Rosie will chase *sigh*. But I love watching them together. The other day when it was really hot, They were both sprawled together :-) Mishka has taken to eating Rosie's dog biscuits (not good) and Rosie will stand with her nose an inch away from Mishka ears pricked trying to work out how to stop her, but not game enough LOL. However, when there is raw chicken around, she herds Mishka away LOL

You will have to post a pic :-)

I would love to get into agility - still want to continue with Obedience with Wandy, did a bit of practice heading up from the horse & sheep the other night. She stands :grouphug: !!! Its only taken about a year for her to understand!!! Now I just have to get her to heel on the left ALL the time!

I want to get my new Belgian trained for herding and hopefully Ivy too. Really looking forward to starting training on Wednesday :D

So you have horses too? Which breed? Do much riding?

Hi BB - Ive only got the one old girl now! Ive had "horses" for so long its just habit typing the 's' rather than singular 'horse' :laugh::rofl: .. Sally is aver 30 now, dont know how old she was when we got her or what breed she is, but shes been a great little mare. I really dont know what breeds she has in her, but must have a bit of stock horse/quarter horse, Arab and some sort of pony?? She has instinctual cow sense, my sister took her to a campdrafting training weekend a few years ago now and she (Sally that is!) just took over and did it all herself! My sister had a hard time convincing the guy training that she'd never done it before :rofl:

Ive done a few Parelli weekends with her, lots of bushriding and even did the Blackwood Marathon one year. But she is now fully retired, except of course when the horse crazy nieces visit, and is spoiled rotten with rugs in the winter, lots of yummy tucker and two sheep to boss around... ;) :rofl:

She will be our last horse sadly, but our property isnt conducive to horses feet or appetite! So Llamas are the next animal of large size for me. Will continue on with the sheep as well. Moses is a Damara X Merino and Jackson is a Suffolk X Merino. I was just saying to OH the other day that I wouldnt mind some Wiltshires at some stage.

Ptolomy - Whats the best way to start training a dog for agility?? Generally speaking that is, I understand theres lots involved!!

Rat

Ptolomy - Whats the best way to start training a dog for agility?? Generally speaking that is, I understand theres lots involved!!

Rat

I cheated - I found somebody to train my last dog for me - made life real easy :grouphug:

Rat - really if you have no previous experience you really are better off joining ACWA on a Tuesday night - and then practice what you learn at home. I made a squillion jumps out of PVC - gees they look good, even if I do say so myself, and if I can make them then anybody can. My son also helped make me an A-frame and I bought a see-saw and weavers. There are lots of DVD's on the market too which may help - but as I said for the first term I would suggest ACWA (says she who is not a member - ooops)

Nah Ptolomy the broomstick numbers look very spiffy - they leave my PVC jobs for dead :grouphug: .

Note to self though if the best way to get your dog trained is to hand them off to somebody else I better get looking - oh RubyStar do you want a go at training a midget BC :laugh::rofl: ;) :rofl::rofl: .

Rat

I cheated - I found somebody to train my last dog for me - made life real easy :laugh:

Rat - really if you have no previous experience you really are better off joining ACWA on a Tuesday night - and then practice what you learn at home. I made a squillion jumps out of PVC - gees they look good, even if I do say so myself, and if I can make them then anybody can. My son also helped make me an A-frame and I bought a see-saw and weavers. There are lots of DVD's on the market too which may help - but as I said for the first term I would suggest ACWA (says she who is not a member - ooops)

The agility bug hasn't stopped biting me so I'm taking the plunge and joining ACWA with Millie on Tuesday :rofl: That might get in the way of training Ruby (obedience) on Tuesdays though, eek ;) Unless I start early and do some obedience before agility :rofl:

I need lessons on making jumps! :grouphug:

Edited by RubyStar

Jumps are too easily RubyStar. I posted something in Blitza's equipment thread :thumbsup: . The instructions with photograph. Took us 2 hours to make 7 complete jumps and another 7 half completed.

I read that and still fear I won't be able to do it :(