Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

:laugh: I go to Murdoch uni and have a busy day all day there tomorrow but I will be around the vet building at some point so maybe I will see your dogs :laugh:

I don't know specifically but canning vale should have lots of pet places as it's a kennel zone.

Ok mim I am booked in with Ziggy Chester at 1pm so I will be there a bit before ( I hope) as I am not sure where I am actually going! lol

:rofl:

:laugh: I go to Murdoch uni and have a busy day all day there tomorrow but I will be around the vet building at some point so maybe I will see your dogs :rofl:

I don't know specifically but canning vale should have lots of pet places as it's a kennel zone.

Ok mim I am booked in with Ziggy Chester at 1pm so I will be there a bit before ( I hope) as I am not sure where I am actually going! lol

:)

Ziggy is the most awesome lady, she is so knowledgeable! My dog just loves her even though she sticks things in his eyes :laugh: I think there is a City farmers in Canningvale.

:laugh: I go to Murdoch uni and have a busy day all day there tomorrow but I will be around the vet building at some point so maybe I will see your dogs :rofl:

Ziggy is the most awesome lady, she is so knowledgeable! My dog just loves her even though she sticks things in his eyes :laugh: I think there is a City farmers in Canningvale.

Thanks MM, it will be good to go to a big pet store with lots to see and look at ( ie buy lol) yes Ziggy is great, she says she just wants to see the dogs! My cresteds adored her and she was always good to both me, my hip pocket and the dogs, I have a young friend doing an Animal Management Course at Murdoch so I will get to see her as well

There's a Better Pets & Gardens on Nicholson Road in Canning Vale. I haven't been in there but it looks big and you can take your dogs in :laugh:

yep.

The BP&G in Myaree might be closer to Murdoch though?

LINK TO MAP

Unless you're going to Canning Vale for something else anyway.

Two questions you City guys would know

1. I need a good photographer to take some shots for a breed paper I am completing, some show stands and natural ones, anyone got any photographers they can recommend?

2. I have to go to the city tomorrow with the woofters (well Murdoch Uni ) I have a couple of hours to spare and wanted to know if there are any large Pet Stores around Canning Vale/ Murdoch areas?

Thanks in advance.

:laugh:

We had a photo shoot done of our Greys by Studio Noah (East Perth but they come to you or anywhere really) it was on behalf of Advance Pet Food and the shots are absolutely stunning, I can't rate them highly enough but they are expensive, and we didn't have to pay for the shoot (thank god!), they took 52 photos of our dogs, we ended up buying 5 but could have bought them all they were that good - www.studionoah.com.au

Probably the largest pet store in Canning Vale is Better Pets and Garden on Nicholson Road, Canning Vale (if your heading down South street, turn left into Nicholson Road and it is quite a way down at the other end of Nicholson Road near the Canning Vale Police Station, Dogs are welcome to go inside. There is a City Farmers in Canning Vale but a bit hard to explain where it is and they are doing roadworks outside and lots of detours plus it's not as good at BP&G.

There's a Better Pets & Gardens on Nicholson Road in Canning Vale. I haven't been in there but it looks big and you can take your dogs in :laugh:

yep.

The BP&G in Myaree might be closer to Murdoch though?

LINK TO MAP

Unless you're going to Canning Vale for something else anyway.

Thanks guys, armed with maps etc off she goes!

I am actually coming from banjup ( Pampered Pooch Place0 then to Murdoch so wanted somewhere to go in between, I have a few friends in the Kennel zone so could go there but will look at the pet shops too.

:laugh:

Masons Mom Toby has allergies and we suspect they are contact allergies from grass because he only gets them on his tummy and feet where he is pretty hairless, and he is scratching at the moment so it must be that season.

Mason only gets itchy at certain times of the year and also on certain spots, tummy, legs, flanks, and face are where he itches. His eyes swell if he touches some plants and/or certain grasses. I have made sure that I am using a natural laundry detergent etc but it doesnt seem to have helped that much he is still itchy and he only used to itch morning and evening which is bad enough but now he itches early hours of the morning and that wakes us up.

I am going to go to the Rally U seminar in July, I spoke to my club and they said that when they know more thay may offer training too, if they do thats cool or else I may also join Eden Hill for Rally O training.

MM - being that it's certain times of the year, it's possible that it is atopy, or otherwise known as inhalant allergies... unlike us, the irritation in dogs allergic to certain things comes out in the skin. Common areas are as you described, face, feet and chest/tummy area.

Without going into too much detail about desensitisation injections and cortisone, you can try things like getting Mason on fish oil or omega 3, using an oatmeal shampoo or, if very bad, a shampoo like malaseb can do wonders, but Malaseb can be very drying so only use if it gives relief.

Another thing you can do, if it gets very bad, is have Mason have a skin test. A number of vets do these now and it helps to find what he is allergic to, so that you can get rid of those things if possible. You can go one step further and have a serum made up and do desensitisation injections.

Spartan (far left in siggy) had very bad skin allergies and still has set backs now. he was diagnosed at about 12 months or so with Atopy, and had to go on cortisone because he was so bad. he used to have to wear a t-shirt and boots to stop him from scratching and biting. he started his desensitisation at around 16 months, and slowly came off cortisone. He has been steroid free for a number of years now, but unfortunately still suffers when seasons change, much like i do with hayfever!! Unfortunately, I am something of an expert when it comes to dealing with skin issues. :(

Congrats to bedazzled for her win with brooklyn!! YAY WA!!

:laugh::rofl::):) :p :):laugh:

Hi ST, That is exactly what Mason has but lucky its not really very very bad, he does scratch etc at certain times of the day but not enough to break the skin or even make his skin pink, his eyes do swell if he touches diff plants. We went to the Naturopath today and I need to get him the EP Holistic Select Salmon and Anchovy, start him on fish oil capsules and give him some natural hayfever relief when he is itchy or has the swollen eyes. No chicken, beef or lamb etc, he can have liver treats though. I forgot to ask what I an use as training treats :mad I usually use BBQ sausages but those are out, maybe I need to use fish fingers :mad

If he is allowed roo or fish you could make him some roo meatballs or fishballs perhaps.

Sooty took herself up to the park today :laugh: Luckily the ranger contacted me and I was able to get to her before they took her to the pound - had to drive from Darlington to Joondalup though :laugh: Just glad I got her back safely and we've found where she got out. First day home by herself for a week and a bit so I think she was showing her disgust at being left alone!

Glad you got her back safely, she is such a sweetie, would have been horriable to get home to no dog, so glad she got picked up quickly so that she didn't get lost or hurt.

Masons Mom Toby has allergies and we suspect they are contact allergies from grass because he only gets them on his tummy and feet where he is pretty hairless, and he is scratching at the moment so it must be that season.

Mason only gets itchy at certain times of the year and also on certain spots, tummy, legs, flanks, and face are where he itches. His eyes swell if he touches some plants and/or certain grasses. I have made sure that I am using a natural laundry detergent etc but it doesnt seem to have helped that much he is still itchy and he only used to itch morning and evening which is bad enough but now he itches early hours of the morning and that wakes us up.

I am going to go to the Rally U seminar in July, I spoke to my club and they said that when they know more thay may offer training too, if they do thats cool or else I may also join Eden Hill for Rally O training.

MM - being that it's certain times of the year, it's possible that it is atopy, or otherwise known as inhalant allergies... unlike us, the irritation in dogs allergic to certain things comes out in the skin. Common areas are as you described, face, feet and chest/tummy area.

Without going into too much detail about desensitisation injections and cortisone, you can try things like getting Mason on fish oil or omega 3, using an oatmeal shampoo or, if very bad, a shampoo like malaseb can do wonders, but Malaseb can be very drying so only use if it gives relief.

Another thing you can do, if it gets very bad, is have Mason have a skin test. A number of vets do these now and it helps to find what he is allergic to, so that you can get rid of those things if possible. You can go one step further and have a serum made up and do desensitisation injections.

Spartan (far left in siggy) had very bad skin allergies and still has set backs now. he was diagnosed at about 12 months or so with Atopy, and had to go on cortisone because he was so bad. he used to have to wear a t-shirt and boots to stop him from scratching and biting. he started his desensitisation at around 16 months, and slowly came off cortisone. He has been steroid free for a number of years now, but unfortunately still suffers when seasons change, much like i do with hayfever!! Unfortunately, I am something of an expert when it comes to dealing with skin issues. :(

:laugh::rofl::):) :p :):laugh:

Hi ST, That is exactly what Mason has but lucky its not really very very bad, he does scratch etc at certain times of the day but not enough to break the skin or even make his skin pink, his eyes do swell if he touches diff plants. We went to the Naturopath today and I need to get him the EP Holistic Select Salmon and Anchovy, start him on fish oil capsules and give him some natural hayfever relief when he is itchy or has the swollen eyes. No chicken, beef or lamb etc, he can have liver treats though. I forgot to ask what I an use as training treats :mad I usually use BBQ sausages but those are out, maybe I need to use fish fingers :mad

If he is allowed roo or fish you could make him some roo meatballs or fishballs perhaps.

Nope only fish....

For the people who showed interest in going to a retrieving trial, there is a Novice & Restricted trial this Sunday (18th).

It is in Upper Swan and directions are: Travel north on Great Northern highway & cross the Upper Swan bridge and then over the railway line. Turn right into Glen Road and then right again into Hallett Gardens. Continue along this road to the end where you will see a carpark where all the cars will be. Novice will begin about 7.45 to 8 am and restricted will be after 11 am. There is no catering, so BYO everything. Your dog is welcome if kept on a lead and you can keep it quiet.

For the people who showed interest in going to a retrieving trial, there is a Novice & Restricted trial this Sunday (18th).

It is in Upper Swan and directions are: Travel north on Great Northern highway & cross the Upper Swan bridge and then over the railway line. Turn right into Glen Road and then right again into Hallett Gardens. Continue along this road to the end where you will see a carpark where all the cars will be. Novice will begin about 7.45 to 8 am and restricted will be after 11 am. There is no catering, so BYO everything. Your dog is welcome if kept on a lead and you can keep it quiet.

When you find out the info about next weeks one can you post that info too? I wont make this weeks unfortunatly there is something on at our dog club.

When you find out the info about next weeks one can you post that info too? I wont make this weeks unfortunatly there is something on at our dog club.

I have some info on it:

******ALSO ANOTHER TRIAL --- DATE – ANZAC DAY (25th APRIL) starting about 8 am too. Novice, Restricted and All Age Stakes, with several judges

PLACE—BROOKLEIGH EQUESTRIAN CENTRE, UPPER SWAN

Go up great Northern hwy. Before you get to the Upper Swan bridge turn left into the centre. It is well signed. Follow signs through the Centre gradually leading to an area near the river..

******TRAINING DAY--- 9TH MAY All welcome.

Experienced triallers will help groups of handlers and dogs. This will be held on a property where we can fire the gun so your dog can get used to it. Then we have a sausage sizzle lunch and socialize. More details soon.

I think I might come as I am working the Sunday after but get this one off. I don't think I will bring Lincoln so that I can watch up closely how it all works.

Fetchindawgs since most retreving training is done on your own I am looking fr a good book, I have been recommended Water Dog, Training Retrievers for Marshes and Meadows and British Training for American Retrievers what do you recommend?

1. I need a good photographer to take some shots for a breed paper I am completing, some show stands and natural ones, anyone got any photographers they can recommend?

2. I have to go to the city tomorrow with the woofters (well Murdoch Uni ) I have a couple of hours to spare and wanted to know if there are any large Pet Stores around Canning Vale/ Murdoch areas?

Thanks in advance.

We had a photo shoot done of our Greys by Studio Noah (East Perth but they come to you or anywhere really) it was on behalf of Advance Pet Food and the shots are absolutely stunning, I can't rate them highly enough but they are expensive, and we didn't have to pay for the shoot (thank god!), they took 52 photos of our dogs, we ended up buying 5 but could have bought them all they were that good - www.studionoah.com.au

Probably the largest pet store in Canning Vale is Better Pets and Garden on Nicholson Road, Canning Vale (if your heading down South street, turn left into Nicholson Road and it is quite a way down at the other end of Nicholson Road near the Canning Vale Police Station, Dogs are welcome to go inside. There is a City Farmers in Canning Vale but a bit hard to explain where it is and they are doing roadworks outside and lots of detours plus it's not as good at BP&G.

I can vouch for Studio Noah but yes they are pretty expensive... hey Jazzy, my sister got those Advance photos done too for her OES... did Advance ever contact you or use the shots of your greys?

I think (and I could be wrong) that one of the border collie WA DOLers is a bit of a photographer... maybe Winpara? CruiseNHemi will know...

Wazzat if you head straight down Warton road, past the golf course on the left (and CAWA on the right) and keep going down there is a set of shops on the left hand side... you'll see the big orange buiding on the corner there (city farmers) but i agree it can be a bit tricky to get into because of the roadworks... i haven't been to the better pets and gardens.

:rofl: :D :worship::):worship: ;) :)

Hi ST, That is exactly what Mason has but lucky its not really very very bad, he does scratch etc at certain times of the day but not enough to break the skin or even make his skin pink, his eyes do swell if he touches diff plants. We went to the Naturopath today and I need to get him the EP Holistic Select Salmon and Anchovy, start him on fish oil capsules and give him some natural hayfever relief when he is itchy or has the swollen eyes. No chicken, beef or lamb etc, he can have liver treats though. I forgot to ask what I an use as training treats :worship: I usually use BBQ sausages but those are out, maybe I need to use fish fingers :worship:

Nope only fish....

Hey MM - I used to use cheese for spartan... if Mason is food motivated, you only need small squares.

It makes sense to be feeding fish at the moment, to rule out any food allergy i take it... we did fish and potato really early on with spartan, back before they had holistic dry foods! Unfortunately, we pinpointed that spartan was not only atopic, but also allergic to chicken!! Faolmor (DOLer) had a similar issue with her black lab...

I have some info on it:

******ALSO ANOTHER TRIAL --- DATE – ANZAC DAY (25th APRIL) starting about 8 am too. Novice, Restricted and All Age Stakes, with several judges

PLACE—BROOKLEIGH EQUESTRIAN CENTRE, UPPER SWAN

Go up great Northern hwy. Before you get to the Upper Swan bridge turn left into the centre. It is well signed. Follow signs through the Centre gradually leading to an area near the river..

******TRAINING DAY--- 9TH MAY All welcome.

Experienced triallers will help groups of handlers and dogs. This will be held on a property where we can fire the gun so your dog can get used to it. Then we have a sausage sizzle lunch and socialize. More details soon.

OOhhh I want to come to the one on the 9th of May!!!

I think I might come as I am working the Sunday after but get this one off. I don't think I will bring Lincoln so that I can watch up closely how it all works.

Fetchindawgs since most retreving training is done on your own I am looking fr a good book, I have been recommended Water Dog, Training Retrievers for Marshes and Meadows and British Training for American Retrievers what do you recommend?

Valley - i have a spare copy ofthe marshes and meadows one (was also recommended to me)... i accidentally ordered two copies so you are welcome to one if you want it... it's still in the plastic... i just have to find it!

Thanks in advance.

I can vouch for Studio Noah but yes they are pretty expensive... hey Jazzy, my sister got those Advance photos done too for her OES... did Advance ever contact you or use the shots of your greys?

I think (and I could be wrong) that one of the border collie WA DOLers is a bit of a photographer... maybe Winpara? CruiseNHemi will know...

Wazzat if you head straight down Warton road, past the golf course on the left (and CAWA on the right) and keep going down there is a set of shops on the left hand side... you'll see the big orange buiding on the corner there (city farmers) but i agree it can be a bit tricky to get into because of the roadworks... i haven't been to the better pets and gardens.

:rofl: :D :worship::):worship: ;) :)

Hi ST, That is exactly what Mason has but lucky its not really very very bad, he does scratch etc at certain times of the day but not enough to break the skin or even make his skin pink, his eyes do swell if he touches diff plants. We went to the Naturopath today and I need to get him the EP Holistic Select Salmon and Anchovy, start him on fish oil capsules and give him some natural hayfever relief when he is itchy or has the swollen eyes. No chicken, beef or lamb etc, he can have liver treats though. I forgot to ask what I an use as training treats :worship: I usually use BBQ sausages but those are out, maybe I need to use fish fingers :worship:

Nope only fish....

Hey MM - I used to use cheese for spartan... if Mason is food motivated, you only need small squares.

It makes sense to be feeding fish at the moment, to rule out any food allergy i take it... we did fish and potato really early on with spartan, back before they had holistic dry foods! Unfortunately, we pinpointed that spartan was not only atopic, but also allergic to chicken!! Faolmor (DOLer) had a similar issue with her black lab...

They are wondering if he may be allergic to chicken as all the food I have fed him is chicken based, I guess we will see in a few weeks time, I have to go buy his supplements etc today. I felt so bad for him as he was scratching and biting himself early hours of this morning too.

Edited to say that he wont work for cheese in class, I think I am going to buy some liver as she did say he can have liver treats??

Edited by Masons_mom

No we never heard back from them, I've checked their website but they haven't appeared yet, they did use a photo in their dental campaign but that was of Kerry at GAP's grey. They have allowed GAP to use some of the photo's for the calendar. Did your sis get any of the photo's? We got 50% off and they were about $90/each.