Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

So dogs can transfer between NZ and Oz no problems?

As far as I know they just check them out at the airport in NZ make sure they are vaccinated etc and thats it...

Yep, my little Flossie flew in from Chch, I picked her up at the airport and brought her straight home :confused:

edit - they have to have all their shots prior to travelling and there's a lot of paperwork - all done prior to the airport - MAF in NZ do it I think.

Edited by Golden Rules

Thanks MM. Rosie is just starting up again. When she was a pup i thought she might be allergic to her chicken wings as she would come in, hop in her bed and wipe her muzzle on her bedding and her tummy would get bright pink. Worked out it was because she was eating on the grass though.

i hope MM can get some help! his ears looked sore when you showed them to me at Trixie's party.

My parents old bichon suffered from allergies his whole life and had cortisone shots regularly. The hot spots he would get were so painful for him. When Rosie started up I just thought of poor oscar. It is not good.

Hey Rosie, you'll find a fair few dogs do that face rubbing thing when they eat chicken - no idea why, but both mine do it, and my mum's weim does it too.

I have also noticed a small change in spartan's skin issues. He had calmed back down after a flare up last month, but now it seems to be back again. He is biting in the usual places relating to his atopy. He also has some bad scabs on his neck but that's still residual from his chicken rampage a few months back... so hard to get rid of once it spreads. :confused: he's been pretty itchy though - i know when he is really bad because he'll wake up and scratch.

RosieFT have you tried antihistamine? Phenergen is good, or is it polaramine? I think i have given both... yielded mixed results because for spartan it depends on how bad he is, but it may ease the sensitivity. Also get Rosie on some Fish oil/Flaxseed or omega 3 supplement as soon as you can.

In regards to the quarantine, i went not knowing what to expect. I didn't find it that different to some boarding kennels, but i did note the wet floors and just how cold it was because of them. Crazy madam irish that i went to see was not bothered at all by her surroundings but we did take her out into the big run and she went a bit mad, but i actually put that down to her breed, not being stir crazy!! I took some photos of her, but i'm afraid all i got was a big red blur for the majority of the photos!! I do think, though, that the price that has to be paid for daily care is quite high, however, and the limited visiting hours make things hectic.

Edited by SparkyTansy

Hey Rosie, you'll find a fair few dogs do that face rubbing thing when they eat chicken - no idea why, but both mine do it, and my mum's weim does it too.

Yep mine do it too after eating bones, especially chicken.

Mine does it too - I think because they irritate their gums maybe ..... either that or they are just wiping their faces :laugh:

Mine does it too - I think because they irritate their gums maybe ..... either that or they are just wiping their faces :laugh:

Funny but Mason does not do the face rubbing thing at all, he does scoot his butt on the floor though after chicken and he actually bites himself more than scratches...

Rosie FT we use Zyrtec from the chemist as an antihistamine, works well for Mason, Polaramine did nothing but his allergies are quite severe and maybe the dosage we were given was not high enough, he takes up to 4 Zyretc a day, I usually keep it down to 2 if he is only eating roo.

I realise that Byford is a quarantine station and not a luxury kennel, but the constant dampness in the kennels is surely not good for any dog :( and being kicked out of the exercise area when no one has booked it after you is just mean - it's the only chance the dogs get to get a bit of sun on their back and to be in a dry environment this time of year :rasberry:

Not mean.originally there where less runs(2 big ones plus the 2 indoor ones) & it was first in best dressed,if you sat there for 1/2 hrs you could & everyone else missed out.That certainly wasn't fair & many people where very selfish about not sharing & this was when you could visit every day am/pm.

Now it is based on bookings whether it be the yard/grooming room & everyone has there time frame & when to turn up.

Byford is a damp area BUT the residents have also complained for so many years that it has also created issues up there since it moved from Bicton.

I agree the runs should be scraped & its very easy to do but the girls have there set ways up there.

Once the equine flu hit that changed everything in the quaratine ranks

The inquiry into EI getting out found that if they had done things as per protocol there wouldn't have been an issue. Does that meant that the small animal areas also weren't adhering to the correct level of decontamination procedures? :(

Seriously maybe private is the way to go for quarantine facilities... if a private company stuffed up as much as the government did you can be sure they would be held much more accountable.

The inquiry into EI getting out found that if they had done things as per protocol there wouldn't have been an issue. Does that meant that the small animal areas also weren't adhering to the correct level of decontamination procedures? :(

Seriously maybe private is the way to go for quarantine facilities... if a private company stuffed up as much as the government did you can be sure they would be held much more accountable.

yes but i guess we can also expect to be charged a whole lot more :rasberry:

yes but i guess we can also expect to be charged a whole lot more :rasberry:

Not really, the quarantine station in south africa are all private and I paid less there than I did here per day :nahnah: they also let the dogs out each day into the sunny play area for an hour at a time which is lovely I think.

Areas are just hosed out each day and its not until a dog leaves that the place is bleached or disinfected. There is a definite smell in the kennels.

That has been the way for years & they also swap your dogs around,Our guys played musical runs.

The inquiry into EI getting out found that if they had done things as per protocol there wouldn't have been an issue. Does that meant that the small animal areas also weren't adhering to the correct level of decontamination procedures? eek1.gif

The damage done though was enough for the whole system to change.

Although with South Africa they spend way more time in quarantine before even leaving the country & unless you ship them of to a same level country to do residency & then only 30 days.

I've never noticed mine do it - so you can bet that I will be on the lookout for it now!

Yeah, not a fan of the constantly-wet runs, I have to say. Also not great, because my mad red missie has taken the skin off her tail, and it isn't getting any chance to heal in a small brick run...

I don't mind the booking system for the exercise yards so much. What I'm not thrilled about is the limited days to visit. However, having said that - the drive to Byford from Ashby even 3 days a week is MAMMOTH - more than 485kms per week! Made harder by a bored 1 year old who doesn't appreciate having to spend her life in the car.

Yeah, not a fan of the constantly-wet runs, I have to say. Also not great, because my mad red missie has taken the skin off her tail, and it isn't getting any chance to heal in a small brick run...

I don't mind the booking system for the exercise yards so much. What I'm not thrilled about is the limited days to visit. However, having said that - the drive to Byford from Ashby even 3 days a week is MAMMOTH - more than 485kms per week! Made harder by a bored 1 year old who doesn't appreciate having to spend her life in the car.

YOu are a week ahead of me - so you must be half way now and I don't envy you having to take the young one with you.

PS Happy Birthday and did you get your chocolate????

I never enter any competitions, don't have the time and I don't consider myself very lucky.

Anyway - being on holidays and trying to find something else to do other than unpack boxes, I had been listening to the radio and heard the Big Couch crew taking about the Dogies. So on Tuesday night I went to the 94.5 website -had a quick look and decided to enter one of the kids in the best smile competition.

Blow me down if I wasn't shopping on Wednesday afternoon and the phone rang to say that we were one of the finalists and had won 2 tickets to the Dogie Awards at Mosmans Restaurant :laugh: