Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I know some DOLers went to this last year :eek:

http://www.trackwest.com.au/documents/Open%20Day%202011.pdf

It was great fun, my dog is sooo NOT a tracking dog though lol :D

Edited to add that has anyone else found out that A & D Pet Foods has now changed ownership??

Yep I went in last week and they had changed the counter around and they looked at me like this :laugh: when I asked about turkey necks. Boooo! They tried to sell me chicken necks but they are just too small, hopefully I'll find somewhere else that stocks them. They seem to have the same brand of mince which Sooty likes so hopefully that doesn't change...or prices!

RS what have you done :eek: ;) . I'm obsessing about tracking now :eek: . I was looking on the Victorian tracking clubs website and a Stafford won track and search dog of the year this year and last year tracking dog of the year :D . I just have to try and get out of working Saturdays :laugh: .

Tracking is great fun and plenty of exercise. RS if you do it, I'm happy to practice with you,we can lay tracks for each other. I'll have two dogs doing it next year hopefully, we can car pool if you want to. This year we hardly got any rain and although a few mornings were cold, you soon warmed up. You do get use to the early mornings to ;) . Tiggy, there was some talk of having a special puppy group next year too.

Here is the beautiful pine forrest we train in, hopefully it hasn't all been knocked down by next year and one of Jenna tracking.

post-27419-1289813552_thumb.jpg

post-27419-1289813569_thumb.jpg

ozjen, happy to car pool with you next year if I go through with attending tracking :D How often do we need to train? I think I'm going to struggle to find time to train this outside of the Sat morning. I'm a bit put off that you only get a 15 minute go in that many hours, though :thumbsup: I understand you have to lay tracks for each other, but for 15 mins, I'm not so sure! :)

I know some DOLers went to this last year :mad

http://www.trackwest.com.au/documents/Open%20Day%202011.pdf

It was great fun, my dog is sooo NOT a tracking dog though lol :cry:

Edited to add that has anyone else found out that A & D Pet Foods has now changed ownership??

Yep I went in last week and they had changed the counter around and they looked at me like this :laugh: when I asked about turkey necks. Boooo! They tried to sell me chicken necks but they are just too small, hopefully I'll find somewhere else that stocks them. They seem to have the same brand of mince which Sooty likes so hopefully that doesn't change...or prices!

I think Pet Chef have turkey necks, and they deliver ...

ozjen, happy to car pool with you next year if I go through with attending tracking :laugh: How often do we need to train? I think I'm going to struggle to find time to train this outside of the Sat morning. I'm a bit put off that you only get a 15 minute go in that many hours, though :mad I understand you have to lay tracks for each other, but for 15 mins, I'm not so sure! :cry:

You usually get a couple of goes and after the first couple of weeks when the dogs are getting the idea and the tracks are short, your tracks are longer. There are also more aspects than just getting the dog to track that the handler has to learn, some don't involve the dogs, like mapping and track laying. Also you follow up on other peoples tracks so that the instructor can teach you how to read the dogs as they track which is sometimes easier to take in when your not at the other end of the lead.

Tracking is quiet tiring on the dogs so they are usually happy to have the breaks in between. Some people who did no training other than Saturday finished with a couple of legs towards their tracking titles by the end of the season.

ozjen, happy to car pool with you next year if I go through with attending tracking :cry: How often do we need to train? I think I'm going to struggle to find time to train this outside of the Sat morning. I'm a bit put off that you only get a 15 minute go in that many hours, though :( I understand you have to lay tracks for each other, but for 15 mins, I'm not so sure! :mad

You usually get a couple of goes and after the first couple of weeks when the dogs are getting the idea and the tracks are short, your tracks are longer. There are also more aspects than just getting the dog to track that the handler has to learn, some don't involve the dogs, like mapping and track laying. Also you follow up on other peoples tracks so that the instructor can teach you how to read the dogs as they track which is sometimes easier to take in when your not at the other end of the lead.

Tracking is quiet tiring on the dogs so they are usually happy to have the breaks in between. Some people who did no training other than Saturday finished with a couple of legs towards their tracking titles by the end of the season.

So brand new people who only trained on Saturdays were ready to enter trials? Wow. So why didn't you enter? :laugh::(

I need to stock up from them but am bummed they aren't open on weekends :laugh: Getting delivered won't work for me cos I don't have eskies and besides, I don't think an esky of meat this time of year would hold out all day. I want to get back to feeding raw, but it's hard to stock up when you work all week!

I need to stock up from them but am bummed they aren't open on weekends :laugh: Getting delivered won't work for me cos I don't have eskies and besides, I don't think an esky of meat this time of year would hold out all day. I want to get back to feeding raw, but it's hard to stock up when you work all week!

You could go to A & D on a saturday - I am sure they are open, I am going today, will ask.

RS what have you done :):) . I'm obsessing about tracking now :rofl: . I was looking on the Victorian tracking clubs website and a Stafford won track and search dog of the year this year and last year tracking dog of the year :) . I just have to try and get out of working Saturdays :laugh: .

Tracking is great fun and plenty of exercise. RS if you do it, I'm happy to practice with you,we can lay tracks for each other. I'll have two dogs doing it next year hopefully, we can car pool if you want to. This year we hardly got any rain and although a few mornings were cold, you soon warmed up. You do get use to the early mornings to ;) . Tiggy, there was some talk of having a special puppy group next year too.

Here is the beautiful pine forrest we train in, hopefully it hasn't all been knocked down by next year and one of Jenna tracking.

Earlier this month there was a large fire going through there but I think it was just fire burn off for later this summer.

My partner and I are getting our new German Shepherd Dog puppy in a couple of weeks and I was thinking a little later we'd take it to do some track with trackwest.....it'll be easier for us since the pine forrest is only about a 5 minute drive for us.

I need to stock up from them but am bummed they aren't open on weekends :) Getting delivered won't work for me cos I don't have eskies and besides, I don't think an esky of meat this time of year would hold out all day. I want to get back to feeding raw, but it's hard to stock up when you work all week!

You could go to A & D on a saturday - I am sure they are open, I am going today, will ask.

Thanks ;) How do I order from them, though? Can I place an order in advance so I know that my trip out there won't be for nothing? And is there anywhere I can see what they sell and how much? If you're able to grab some sort of "menu" and pricelist for me today while you're out there, that would be GRRREEEAT! :) And please ask them if I can fax an order through? :laugh::) Ta :rofl:

The turkey necks from the pet chef are really good quality. Perfect size for my dwarfs too :laugh:

RS if you order from the pet chef are you able to pick up your order some time during the week? It's a pity they don't do saturdays.

The turkey necks from the pet chef are really good quality. Perfect size for my dwarfs too :laugh:

RS if you order from the pet chef are you able to pick up your order some time during the week? It's a pity they don't do saturdays.

I order from the Pet Chef and he leaves the frozen stuff at my front door in one of those polystyrene boxes from the supermarket.

I still have to thaw everything a little so I can freeze it in smaller bags.

I need to stock up from them but am bummed they aren't open on weekends :) Getting delivered won't work for me cos I don't have eskies and besides, I don't think an esky of meat this time of year would hold out all day. I want to get back to feeding raw, but it's hard to stock up when you work all week!

Thanks ;) How do I order from them, though? Can I place an order in advance so I know that my trip out there won't be for nothing? And is there anywhere I can see what they sell and how much? If you're able to grab some sort of "menu" and pricelist for me today while you're out there, that would be GRRREEEAT! :) And please ask them if I can fax an order through? :laugh::) Ta :rofl:

Hi there,

They dont have a pricelist etc. You can do an order over the phone though.

They do bones by the bag or roo bones per bone, all different meat cubes, such as roo, beef, chicken, lamb etc and they do cooked meatballs for treats, chicken, beef and lamb at the moment. They also have chicken necks. Mince is $3.30 a Kg, Meatballs are the same and I have no idea how much the chicken necks are. Roo bones are around $1 or $1.50 each but they are HUGE!!!

The turkey necks from the pet chef are really good quality. Perfect size for my dwarfs too :)

I order from the Pet Chef and he leaves the frozen stuff at my front door in one of those polystyrene boxes from the supermarket.

I still have to thaw everything a little so I can freeze it in smaller bags.

So they provide the polystyrene box do they? I might do an order then. I can always ask my Dad to pop around my place during the day and stick it in the freezer or in my garage out of the sun :)

Mim, nope I can't pick up during the week, work full time in the city and catch the train so can't even pick up on my way home from work :laugh:

Thanks Candice!

RS what have you done :) ;) . I'm obsessing about tracking now ;) . I was looking on the Victorian tracking clubs website and a Stafford won track and search dog of the year this year and last year tracking dog of the year :) . I just have to try and get out of working Saturdays :laugh: .

Earlier this month there was a large fire going through there but I think it was just fire burn off for later this summer.

My partner and I are getting our new German Shepherd Dog puppy in a couple of weeks and I was thinking a little later we'd take it to do some track with trackwest.....it'll be easier for us since the pine forrest is only about a 5 minute drive for us.

Welcome :) Love your user name :rofl:

RS what have you done :):) . I'm obsessing about tracking now :rofl: . I was looking on the Victorian tracking clubs website and a Stafford won track and search dog of the year this year and last year tracking dog of the year :) . I just have to try and get out of working Saturdays :laugh: .

Yes the fire was just burn off - however they did cut a large portion of the forrest down but its not the side where they practice the tracking.