Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

RS (and maybe MG) also a note that the boundary fences we have are wire fences and your puppies could probably fit out of them if they tried... I would hate for you guys to lose concentration and for a puppy to go off exploring so I am giving a warning now ;) . ST given Lulu and JT are bigger then Toby you should be fine :laugh:

If there is anyone else coming besides RS that has not been to my place before let me know and I will PM you my address.

Is there any part of your yard that is "escape" proof? Or another place we could go that is enclosed? Now that you've told me the boundary fences are just wire, I don't think I'm going to bring Pippa, sorry guys. Keeping her on lead with puppies tearing about wouldn't be fair (or easy!) and she isn't my dog so if anything were to happen....

If anybody wants to come to my place at some stage for a puppy play date, you are more than welcome. I only have a small yard but it is fully enclosed. I would like for Pippa to have a play with a few puppies at some stage :)

Edited by RubyStar

I was going to put up a puppy pen using some Bunnings puppy cages but no, there is no part on my property besides in the house that is 100% escape proof. However if we are out the back it's about 50m each way before you hit a fence and the only fence that joins to a road is about 200m away.

I have 8 bunnings compost panels that you guys can borrow for the occasion to make a huge puppy pen. Somebody would have to pick them up and drop them off, I also have a horse lunge lead somebody could borrow (I think it's 8m) so a pup could be lead on that, whilst still having lots of freedom to bounce about or do some recall training (the clip is heavy though so on a really small puppy maybe it'd be annoying).

I have 8 bunnings compost panels that you guys can borrow for the occasion to make a huge puppy pen. Somebody would have to pick them up and drop them off, I also have a horse lunge lead somebody could borrow (I think it's 8m) so a pup could be lead on that, whilst still having lots of freedom to bounce about or do some recall training (the clip is heavy though so on a really small puppy maybe it'd be annoying).

Thanks for the offer, I will try see how big it will be but I have two sets and I think ST also has two that I need to ask her to bring... I have a tracking lead and a lunge lead as well.

I have never had my dogs try and escape but my brothers stafford has before (she is a little demon explorer) however my brother let her out unattended and she ran into the 20 acre lot next door to look for kangaroo poo to eat :laugh:

If anybody wants to come to my place at some stage for a puppy play date, you are more than welcome. I only have a small yard but it is fully enclosed. I would like for Pippa to have a play with a few puppies at some stage

Booker would love a playdate (with anyones pup if anyone is keen :) ) I want him to get to play with other pups too- he is very gentle for a puppy (I think it is because Bondi doesn't wrestle with him- they just play chasey) and when he got together with his siblings at the show they were beating him up, but he didn't mind :laugh: Apparently i have turned him soft, but he loves every dog he sees :)

Half considering skipping his show to have puppy playdate instead! :laugh:

I have never had my dogs try and escape but my brothers stafford has before (she is a little demon explorer) however my brother let her out unattended and she ran into the 20 acre lot next door to look for kangaroo poo to eat :laugh:

Sorry to CC who hasn't met Pippa yet, but I really think I will leave her home. She's only a baby with no recall yet so I don't want to be putting her in an area so large that requires recall abilities. I can bring my girls along for your puppies if you want but understand if you'd prefer the adult Labs stay home.

Sorry RV. Your property sounds really great and would be an awesome romp for my adult Labs!!! Just not for a baby small breed especially when she isn't mine.

Rubystar i can bring Gibbs for a playdate sometime obviously not this weekend though :) he is very loud when he plays tho and sounds like he is killing mason at times lol

Booker would love a playdate (with anyones pup if anyone is keen :) )

I think an enclosed backyard would be good so we can tee it up at some stage :)

No problem RS I would hate for anything to happen. If it's just going to be ST's pups Zora (and Gibbs?) I might leave Toby at home, but if you want to bring your girls I am happy to put him in the house so that they can have a play and some areas need a mow so you can have some cover to practice retrieving in.

BTW I watched the first part of the Wildrose DVD but it basically told me to do nothing :laugh: because of Zora's teething. However it gave me some good ideas for when she is done teething and 'what' to train now, although I definitely don't think I am going to use Mr.Wildrose's methods to train heeling, recalls or stays. ;) It has some good drills though and gave me some awesome ideas. :thumbsup:

No problem RS I would hate for anything to happen. If it's just going to be ST's pups Zora (and Gibbs?) I might leave Toby at home, but if you want to bring your girls I am happy to put him in the house so that they can have a play and some areas need a mow so you can have some cover to practice retrieving in.

BTW I watched the first part of the Wildrose DVD but it basically told me to do nothing :laugh: because of Zora's teething. However it gave me some good ideas for when she is done teething and 'what' to train now, although I definitely don't think I am going to use Mr.Wildrose's methods to train heeling, recalls or stays. ;) It has some good drills though and gave me some awesome ideas. :thumbsup:

The DVD has a few bits I don't agree with either, but on the whole, I was quite impressed with the level of detail and drills/tips they showed us, and it was a lot more "positive" than I was expecting being a US DVD :) I really enjoyed it! And have watched it twice now and watching the drills back when I get a spare second to let it try and sink in laugh.gif

I am not going to make it RV , i have to take Gibbs to Deb on saturday after he played too full on with Mason yesterday - i let them play for too long and mason was rough with him

Oh no what happened?!?!?!?! Hope he is ok!

RV Lulu and JT won't go far I am sure :) most puppies (most) don't venture that far unless they are real explorers (or maybe if Zora the Explorer leads them astray). I'll bring their crate to put them away if they get annoying, and while we are grooming madam zora.

Pippa is miss ninja pants and would be off in a shot! Though she does love other dogs, she adores my 2, so she might not leave the other dogs alone long enough to take off, but I still won't risk it laugh.gif

Gibbs would probably not wonder off too far I dont recon if I was to go, he likes being with people more than other dogs at this stage. Katie I am sure he will be fine, I think his paw pads get sore from running on the paving but just taking him to get checked by Deb to be on the safe side.

Eta and i dropped him the monday after i got him so i want him adjusted etc

Edited by Mason_Gibbs

RnH, lovely new puppy! Can't wait to meet her in person :)

Ptolomy, great news about Scoota :thumbsup:

CC, lovely photos of Gibbs :)

And if I missed anything else it isn't my fault as I am still recovering :p

RS, I have a 3/4 acre paddock that is pretty well puppy proof ;) Bottom of gates just need to be blocked and the rest of the fence has been fixed to keep Varda in (she got through a very very small hole which is now blocked :eek: ) Oh, and Banjo is the only dog who has discovered if you jump into the horses water trough you can get through to the next paddock :rofl: We had 11 Lappies enjoying it yesterday and the only escapees were when people weren't quite enough going through the gate :thumbsup:

hi all

for months now, on and off, i have thought rosie was lame - uneven in her stride at the front. My OH just tells me that is how she has always moved. It seems worse when she first hops out of her bed. My problem is, if i take her somewhere to be checked, she would get so excited and is so pumped up that she would not show the lameness. ugh. i know from horses that intermittant lameness is the worst to diagnose!!! Sometimes she looks fine, sometimes she looks sore, but never for long. I keep wondering if i should stop agility and worry that that is why she has stopped wanting to weave.

mason - could you pm me with information regarding the person you see for your dogs? thanks.