Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

I use Joint Guard. Can't tell if it makes any difference :shrug: But I will continue to use it as a precautionary measure. Makes me feel better that I'm giving them something :)

fish oil is important but the rest of the stuff has no proven use..if you feel your dog is better on it then use it otherwise don't waste your money.

I use Joint Guard. Can't tell if it makes any difference :shrug: But I will continue to use it as a precautionary measure. Makes me feel better that I'm giving them something :)

fish oil is important but the rest of the stuff has no proven use..if you feel your dog is better on it then use it otherwise don't waste your money.

Fish oil is also excellent for the skin and coat

If you give fish oil make sure you also give a vitamin E suppliment...

Boxagirl, so sorry to hear about Bondi. Hopefully she is better soon!

Well I had a good weekend - played with foals on Friday and puppies on Sunday! All 3 Lappy babies were good for their debut with Miss Anikka taking to the ring like a pro with Master Taavi not too bad either although thought it was quite fun the first time and decided bounding was better than gaiting :rofl:

Miss Anikka managed to get Baby In Group and handled General Specials like a pro but was beaten by a lovely Pointer. And according to her Mum peed for about 30 seconds or more once home since she refused to pee at the show all day :o It was much more fun to play with other dogs - including a lovely Great Dane :D

Mine get fish oil tablets as well, the ones with vitamin E in it.

I have nothing to measure it's "usefulness" against. I have no indicator either way to say it is good or bad (as they aren't arthritic - I guess you could measure it with arthritic dogs?). As Labs who are active and jumping in sports, and are nearing middle age (:cry:), I feel better about giving them a boost. Small price to pay for my own peace of mind that I am being proactive with their joints!

Edited by RubyStar

I used fish oil for my old golden, she had shcoking hip displaysia, days before internet just did what I could read about including keeping slender and swimming :) so I used glucosamine plus other stuff till my husband showed me an article in lancet that after much research there was absolutely no benefit to using glucosamine or chondritin...but fish oil was a winner...so from then on I have only used fish oil for all my dogs...but as I say tis up to you :) since then the vet research has done the same but was looking for an article which is now defunct.. makes me wonder if someone isn't making money out of promoting joint products...what me a cynic ?

Deb is the reason Scoota is still trialling, Beans is still walking, Lexi is still alive and numerous other kids are able to get on with life. I hope she can help you and Bondi

CC hows Louis today?

Does Deb see 2 dogs at a time? Just wondering if I should take my two in for a "tune up" or not. I feel I get very lazy with maintaining their bodies and preventing/recognizing injuries. I keep meaning to book them in for some bowen therapy but as I don't know a lot about it, I don't know if I am just throwing my money away with either of these things because it comes down to I am unsure if my dogs are actually sore or not. We can take them for "tune ups" in either of these can't we to see if they can pinpoint any trouble areas that may be there that lame owners like myself cannot recognize?

Edited by RubyStar

makes me wonder if someone isn't making money out of promoting joint products...what me a cynic ?

Very possibly, I don't deny there are a lot of products out there that just play on owners like myself who don't really know but our babies are our life and we want to make sure we are doing the very best we can for them, so we buy these products believing we are doing it in their best interests.

How many fish oil do you give daily out of curiosity?

Does Deb see 2 dogs at a time? Just wondering if I should take my two in for a "tune up" or not. I feel I get very lazy with maintaining their bodies and preventing/recognizing injuries. I keep meaning to book them in for some bowen therapy but as I don't know a lot about it, I don't know if I am just throwing my money away with either of these things because it comes down to I am unsure if my dogs are actually sore or not. We can take them for "tune ups" in either of these can't we to see if they can pinpoint any trouble areas that may be there that lame owners like myself cannot recognize?

Yep you can take a dog to bowen for a "tune up", alot of show people get their dogs checked by Tracey before shows etc. and I will be taking Bondi regularly too now. She goes over the dog and knows where they are sore even if you don't :thumbsup: I definately recommend it!

Deb sees two dogs. If there is no problem there is no charge as a session is not needed. She really is too kind!

Yup i take my 2 at the same time although Mason should be good now till december at least, Gibbs is going back in about 10 days but he has an injury atm

CC hows Louis today?

Brighter, but still a bit reluctant to jump up, will see how he is when I get home.

Poor Bondi - hope she picks up soon boxagirl :)

eta - I took some pics recently of a work collegue's cats, and discussed how I hated seeing puppies etc in pet shops and talked about puppy farming.

Well over the weekend when shopping for a scratching pole, they bought a Chi x Staffy for $700 from a pet shop :banghead:

It's a tiny little thing and I dont think they have had a dog before, so I've pointed her to the puppy pages here and said make sure you treat it like a dog, not a cat!

Edited by CrazyCresties

Guest RosieFT

ouch! poor Bondi - sounds extremely painful.

RS - well done

Amypie - ummm, what the? seriously? well i guess it was private...

Rusky - did Amypie's experience make you feel better LOL?

Yeah I got him out late because I was busy filming/watching, 400 went very fast and I was the first 300 in the ring - I had been trying to get him to go to the toilet all day - I could tell that he needed to go (you know what I mean by that RFT ;) :laugh: ) usually he goes quickly and on command but not yesterday! This was his third run too so he had plenty of opportunity :laugh:

Certainly a new one :laugh: Luckily by that stage I was too buggered to care about being embarrassed, what could I do but laugh :rofl: I've heard about dogs peeing in tunnels but never pooing in them :rofl: Lucky I didn't have to climb too far in to get it. There's a lesson in it - always carry a spare poo bag so you can clean it up and get out of there as ASAP :laugh:

Hope all the injured doggies are doing better soon!!

Wow three teeth in one day! I only foind one or two of Trixies, pretty sure she ate the rest (in typical style)

If you give fish oil make sure you also give a vitamin E suppliment...

Boxagirl, so sorry to hear about Bondi. Hopefully she is better soon!

Well I had a good weekend - played with foals on Friday and puppies on Sunday! All 3 Lappy babies were good for their debut with Miss Anikka taking to the ring like a pro with Master Taavi not too bad either although thought it was quite fun the first time and decided bounding was better than gaiting :rofl:

Miss Anikka managed to get Baby In Group and handled General Specials like a pro but was beaten by a lovely Pointer. And according to her Mum peed for about 30 seconds or more once home since she refused to pee at the show all day :o It was much more fun to play with other dogs - including a lovely Great Dane :D

Miss Anikka was indeed beautiful! Jerry Whippet & I were in front of her in the Baby In Show line up :D

Fish oil - all of my dogs (and any boarders I think will benefit from it whilst here) get Omegamagic Plus oil on their food each night... it's a combo of fish, vegetable, flaxseed, evening primrose & wheatgerm oils and is awesome for itchy, scritchy dogs as well as a general joint health supplement.

http://www.advancedpetcare.com.au/supplements.asp

Mr Poo-Fong actually takes it as well :eek: in a glass of milk each morning - he swears his knees have never been better since he started taking it, and says it beats swallowing copious amounts of fish oil capsules but yeccch! I don't know how he does it :vomit:

Gibbs lost 3 teeth today :)

Don't they look funny? :D Jerry only has about two front teeth at the moment - the judge was going over him at the show yesterday and checked his mouth/teeth and I wished her good luck finding any :rofl:

eta - I took some pics recently of a work collegue's cats, and discussed how I hated seeing puppies etc in pet shops and talked about puppy farming.

Well over the weekend when shopping for a scratching pole, they bought a Chi x Staffy for $700 from a pet shop :banghead:

It's a tiny little thing and I dont think they have had a dog before, so I've pointed her to the puppy pages here and said make sure you treat it like a dog, not a cat!

Why!!!??? :eek::(