Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

PM Rusky, she will know if Southern River will be holding classes and when. And as you know, membership fees and weekly lights money also need to be paid even if you train on your own at the grounds on training night :drink:

Hi guys, I just discovered the site. I live in Bunno and I'm back to classes next week with my crazy Dobe. Shes 1, we also have a 12yr old Dobe X male, who likes to sleep all day and does not appreciate Stella annoying him or wanting to play. :)

Hi all! I'm looking for recommendations on pet hotels/boarding kennels. We are based in central but wouldn't mind traveling to SOR or NOR. So long we can be assured that our lil' one will be in safe hands. Anyone?

I believe Showdog off here has kennels and are very highly thought of.

Thanks Xolo. I'll PM Showdog then :laugh:

Hi WA'ers ...

firstly let me intriduce myself - Troy soon to be with a brand new German Shep pup...

Being new to this whole doggy world stuff and not getting pup from a local breeder Im wondering how to go about getting into showing and obedence trialing (when the time comes). Im thinking that in all likelyhood local breeders will not be to "helpfull" to a newbie esp. with the showing side of things - thou I maybe under estimating the crew of course (please dont be offended if thats the case). As we are so far away from "our" breeder - I cant really get help from them..

Has anyone had any experience on ho new people (& dogs) are accepted into the dog world ?

Do you have any sound advice that may help me learn how to do this showing caper ?

I was just thinking it would be a heck of alot easier if you actually knew someone when first starting off... maybe I should just bipass the showing side and only do obedience, what are your thoughts?

Cheers ...

Hi WA'ers ...

firstly let me intriduce myself - Troy soon to be with a brand new German Shep pup...

Being new to this whole doggy world stuff and not getting pup from a local breeder Im wondering how to go about getting into showing and obedence trialing (when the time comes). Im thinking that in all likelyhood local breeders will not be to "helpfull" to a newbie esp. with the showing side of things - thou I maybe under estimating the crew of course (please dont be offended if thats the case). As we are so far away from "our" breeder - I cant really get help from them..

Has anyone had any experience on ho new people (& dogs) are accepted into the dog world ?

Do you have any sound advice that may help me learn how to do this showing caper ?

I was just thinking it would be a heck of alot easier if you actually knew someone when first starting off... maybe I should just bipass the showing side and only do obedience, what are your thoughts?

Cheers ...

Does your breeder know you want to show? As the pup must have main register papers to show, you need to join the canine association to show as well.

My breeder is in qld and i show a rotti pup. i know a few breeders now through this.

I go to show training on tuesday nights at the canine association with Helena at 7pm.

You could come along and check it out to see what it is all bout,

almost every weekend at canine their are dog shows so you could go down and talk to breeders and tell them you are interested in showing ask if they will be willing to give you some pointers.

Good luck with your new pup

Hi WA'ers ...

Cheers ...

Hi there - Welcome!

what emery said... but i guess with GSD it also depends what "type" of GSD you have? I know that there are a lot of people that show them in the specialty rings but don't set food in the All Breeds rings... IMO the best thing to do would be to speak to your breeder first and foremost about the fact that you want to show, and find out how to go about it. Your breeder might have some contacts in WA that she could contact and help you get started.

If you are also interested in obedience, then joining the GSD club would be a start too... but i am not sure what the club is like with new members so i can't help you there. I only know Mark with GSDs because he was our obedience instructor at another club and he is very nice.

Either way, you will need to make sure you get the pedigree papers from your breeder, and they will need to be mains if you want to show. You'll need to transfer pup into your name with DogsWest (go to their website to download membership form, but you'll need to send this in with your puppy's signed pedigree papers) before you can start officially in any of your chosen activities.

Unfortunately i don't know much at all about showing GSDs so i can't give you any practical advice... but i'd try the breeder first of all and go from there.

Please post some pics of your new pup when you get it!! we like photos but we don't post nearly enough on the WA thread!!

i came home to a right mess last night...

Ari - 1

Playstation 2, controllers, plugs, foxtel aerial cords - 0

Not happy!!!

Ari - 1

Not happy!!!

oops :thumbsup: sound like my wii yesterday morning ex ept it was the kids not the dogs they jammed four dvds in it :eeep

Thanks for your reply's Emery and Sparky...

Yup - have full papers, was really only thinking of showing for the kids, but the breeder thinks at this stage he is quite promising (who really knows thou eh), Ive been down to the GSA a few times just to recognise a few faces and all are lovely .. but Im also realistic enough to know that "some" are only intrested in thier own dogs...

For me, its all about the dog enjoying himself, learning a bit, and increasing my knowledge of such a lovely breed....

Time to contact that dogs west place I thinks..

thanks again !

Hi WA'ers ...

Cheers ...

Hi there - Welcome!

what emery said... but i guess with GSD it also depends what "type" of GSD you have? I know that there are a lot of people that show them in the specialty rings but don't set food in the All Breeds rings... IMO the best thing to do would be to speak to your breeder first and foremost about the fact that you want to show, and find out how to go about it. Your breeder might have some contacts in WA that she could contact and help you get started.

If you are also interested in obedience, then joining the GSD club would be a start too... but i am not sure what the club is like with new members so i can't help you there. I only know Mark with GSDs because he was our obedience instructor at another club and he is very nice.

Either way, you will need to make sure you get the pedigree papers from your breeder, and they will need to be mains if you want to show. You'll need to transfer pup into your name with DogsWest (go to their website to download membership form, but you'll need to send this in with your puppy's signed pedigree papers) before you can start officially in any of your chosen activities.

Unfortunately i don't know much at all about showing GSDs so i can't give you any practical advice... but i'd try the breeder first of all and go from there.

Please post some pics of your new pup when you get it!! we like photos but we don't post nearly enough on the WA thread!!

Ari - 1

Not happy!!!

post-35197-1279171229_thumb.jpg

buggerme that photo is too cute!!

You should ask your breeder what type of shows they show in (All breeds, specialties or both) - never been to a specialty but from what i understand they are quite different! You have to run a lot :thumbsup:

Edited by SparkyTansy

Welcome Ilovedobes and Buggerme :laugh:

Buggerme, your pup is very cute :thumbsup: In terms of showing I am fairly sure that the GSDA can help you with showing a GSD as well. GSD aren't that well supported in WA in the All Breed ring but are quite popular in the speciality ring :rofl: Although some shows do put on a specialty ring for the GSD now (well I know of 2 ROFL!)