Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Ptolomy i love my vet, his manner towards pets and humans is the same, i thank my lucky stars that i found him each day. His special interest in allergies also helps us heaps. If I dont feel comfortable with a vet no matter how knowledgeable I wont trust them. I saw a cardiologist who was the best in his field but he could not explain things to me properly and my GP helped me more.

RS I wish i could come with you on friday but working 9-6 otherwise i would.

ETA i am the worst client as i research everything and ask heaps of questions and some vets hate that!!

Edited by Mason2009

Guest RosieFT

wow - sorry to hear about all the dogs being lame. ugh. Have only been there with horses and that is bad enough! usually just when you think it is something serious enough for a vet, they come right. My daughter accidently rolled over rosie's foot with her new rollerskates (my fault, i threw the ball for rosie and it ricocheted and came back near my daughter who lost her balance and skates flew out from underneath her), she did one huge yelp, hopped around on 3 legs for a couple of minutes whilst i freaked out, then was right as rain, bringing me her ball ready to go. PHEW!!!

Years ago we used to use applecross vets (lived in applecross for many years!) and they had a good rep even then.

RS - just ask lots of questions, and re ask, that is what you are paying for :-) . Make sure you do understand it before you leave, or ask them to write it down for you. I hope your girl has just strained a ligament or something that just (and i know that is annoying enough!) requires rest to heal.

CC - good luck with interview!!

You can use both Mason, just be careful that your signal is not exagerated and that he moves completely around to the finish (hind end awareness games help here...perch work is great)

Obedience people, for your flip finishes, can you have a word and a signal or just a word??

Warning Warning Warning....Steve may be the best in his field but his bedside manner with owners sucks!!!!! Just be prepared Rubystar - he is good with the dogs though - so I guess that is all that matters in this case.

I LOVE Steve! I can see where you are coming from Ptolomy - he's not a touchy-feely, hearts and flowers, gushy type of guy but he is seriously one of the most genuinely interested (and knowledgeable!)vets when it comes to his patients, he is straight-forward & to the point but is extremely caring and has a huge amount of heart. I've been using Applecross since 1994 and whilst all the guys there are terrific, Steve is the only one I'll see if I have something more than a run-of-the-mill matter. Buzzy LOVES his Uncle Steve - Steve will sit on the floor and Buzz jumps straight in his lap :laugh:

We sent one of our boarding customers to him last week - 12 month old Rotti girl with intermittent lameness, getting progressively worse. Unfortunately the outcome for this little girl wasn't good - her elbows were destroyed with arthritis and so the tough decision was made :( Her owner rang to let us know a day or so ago, and to thank us for putting him onto Steve - he said he was the best vet he'd ever dealt with... even though the outcome wasn't favourable, Steve explained everything clearly, gave him some options and treated him with the utmost kindness, respect & compassion the whole way through.

I honestly can't sing his praises high enough :) He's always made himself accessible to me, I can ring just to ask his opinion or advice on something and I never get the impression he's too busy to talk to me, or not interested. I really enjoy talking to him, he is a wealth of knowledge.

Good luck RS, everything crossed for some answers for you & Ruby!

Totally agree with you both. With James, who was diagnosed really young with HD, he was incredibly clear and explained everything well. Even though at the time, i was very very upset, his manner and matter-of-factness really helped me understand more than someone who would have been pussyfooting around the issue, and really just helped me see the bigger picture.

RS I wish i could come with you on friday but working 9-6 otherwise i would.

That's ok, I'm sure I will be fine. I was the same though when I broke my own toe years ago. I had my mum in the waiting room and when the doctor told me I may need surgery on it cos the bone was crushed I started crying and asked if I could go and get my mum :o I've bawled at many vet appointments, too. I am going to make such a terrible mother one day :o

RS - just ask lots of questions, and re ask, that is what you are paying for :-) . Make sure you do understand it before you leave, or ask them to write it down for you. I hope your girl has just strained a ligament or something that just (and i know that is annoying enough!) requires rest to heal.

Thanks. I'll try, but it's very hard to take things in and know what to ask!

Rubystar - what time is your appointment on Friday?

Poo-Fong I think you summed Steve up pretty well ;) as I said with the dogs he is terrific.

10.10am. You guys have made me a bit scared now but I am still glad I am booked with him, I want answers!! She is fine inside, and pretty ok on grass, but walk her on the pavement out the back and she does some major head bobbing as she walks.

FWIW RS, my lovely vet explained to me that he might use sedation for a 'medical' xray - but for hip and elbow scoring he uses GA as he needs to do a lot of positioning which he's not comfortable doing under sedation. And I know how you'll be feeling - I was panicking when Rory had his scoring done - especially because that was (kind of) optional - I mean - rather than a procedure like Ruby's to assist diagnosis. Wishing you and Ruby the very best. (Oh, and Rory was absolutely fine when I picked him up in the afternoon!

Thanks, Tassie. I'm not too concerned about the sedation/GA, I know she'll be fine as she's had a GA twice before, it's more the worry of what the diagnosis will be! I'm praying she won't need surgery. Yes I am getting ahead of myself, but if it is a fracture, I read that sometimes it requires surgery depending on the type of fracture and how severe. I'm hoping there is no fracture, and she just needs more rest :crossfingers:

Ok all you obedience people HELP!!!!!!!!

Trying to teach a 6 month old puppy to drop, doing it the same way i would an 8 week old puppy, food under nose lower to ground move backwards. took ten minutes of me tugging on collar so he couldn't pull head up to get his back end down. Completely lost never experienced this before is there another way to teach and don't say under the knee lol remember i am 6 months pregnant :rofl:

He is very food moitivated i am just having issues conveying what drop means he picked sit up in like 30 seconds.

no to work on come and his name :laugh: he is a stubborn sod that ignores very well. Gotta take him to reserve and get lunge lead out :)

Yay for the lunge line!!!!! :thumbsup: For the drop you can go about it a few different ways. You can arm yourself with a clicker and treats in pocket and capture it. Any time he drops naturally you mark it 'click' and put the food on the ground between his front feet...(remember at this early stage its important to feed in position) Its a slow way but does work eventually.

I prefer to combine luring and shaping with the clicker. Start by getting the lowering of the head by putting a piece of food low to his chest...as the head lowers click and treat low. Progress to a slight movement of the elbows keep shaping it bit by bit. Don't worry if you get a bow...bum up elbows on the ground...allow that for a bit then wait and the bum should drop...click and jackpot in position!!! Don't add cue (commands) words to it just yet...wait until he understands the hand signals and then just quietly add your cue word as you get the behaviour.

The other way you could do it would be to use a target or a target stick using the clicker.

Ok all you obedience people HELP!!!!!!!!

Trying to teach a 6 month old puppy to drop, doing it the same way i would an 8 week old puppy, food under nose lower to ground move backwards. took ten minutes of me tugging on collar so he couldn't pull head up to get his back end down. Completely lost never experienced this before is there another way to teach and don't say under the knee lol remember i am 6 months pregnant :rofl:

He is very food moitivated i am just having issues conveying what drop means he picked sit up in like 30 seconds.

no to work on come and his name :laugh: he is a stubborn sod that ignores very well. Gotta take him to reserve and get lunge lead out :)

Oh and Emery he will come right, for teaching mason to hold the dumbell/ bumper i had to catch him with something in his mouth and then jackpotted so maybe try it with the down. I would say ' good hold, good hold' and now my special needs child is actually getting the idea of what the hold is'!!!!! It took almost 3 months of messing around with other methodes and nothing else worked for him.

OK i posted this in the crazy labs feed, until Rubystar told me there was a WA forum, thanx Rubystar!

Hi everyone!

Just introducing myself as i am new.

I am in WA, i have 1 10yr old lab (male) who is just gorgeous!

I am also wanting to get any info/feedback from existing breeders out there.....

I am also on the list with a lovely lady here in WA to get a little girl, hopefully around sept/oct (will be my 30th bday pressie)

I am in the process of becoming a breeder, just waiting on shire approval, it seems to be taking forever! Any tips on how to get started are very welcome.

By the way i am loving all these piccies of the beautiful pups!

Hope to hear from you all soon

Yay for the lunge line!!!!! :thumbsup: For the drop you can go about it a few different ways. You can arm yourself with a clicker and treats in pocket and capture it. Any time he drops naturally you mark it 'click' and put the food on the ground between his front feet...(remember at this early stage its important to feed in position) Its a slow way but does work eventually.

I prefer to combine luring and shaping with the clicker. Start by getting the lowering of the head by putting a piece of food low to his chest...as the head lowers click and treat low. Progress to a slight movement of the elbows keep shaping it bit by bit. Don't worry if you get a bow...bum up elbows on the ground...allow that for a bit then wait and the bum should drop...click and jackpot in position!!! Don't add cue (commands) words to it just yet...wait until he understands the hand signals and then just quietly add your cue word as you get the behaviour.

The other way you could do it would be to use a target or a target stick using the clicker.

Thanks bedazzled i will watch him he is quite calm which is good and often just lays in side so will get clicker out and mark it :) We are getting the bow at the moment maybe i should train that as well :rofl: its almost perfect :D its one command i insist my dogs know is how to drop/lay down especially with the kids.

And yes i love the lunge lead never had a dog fail to learn come with it :D

Aww i love hearing about puppy training!! I have made is official and now will be getting a pup if bitch is in whelp and there is a nice girly for me :)

:party: fingers crossed.

Puppy training is so much fun i just got to remember he is only a puppy lol just a large one :D

OK i posted this in the crazy labs feed, until Rubystar told me there was a WA forum, thanx Rubystar!

Hi everyone!

I am also wanting to get any info/feedback from existing breeders out there.....

I am also on the list with a lovely lady here in WA to get a little girl, hopefully around sept/oct (will be my 30th bday pressie)

I am in the process of becoming a breeder, just waiting on shire approval, it seems to be taking forever! Any tips on how to get started are very welcome.

Welcome Bromaco. Pics of your dog is a must :laugh: i am a new registered breeder a while off breeding yet. Got a great mentor and i highly reccomend finding one in your breed :D Good luck

Hi everyone!

Welcome Bromaco. Pics of your dog is a must :laugh: i am a new registered breeder a while off breeding yet. Got a great mentor and i highly reccomend finding one in your breed :D Good luck

thanx emery.....yes i have to figure out how to load them yet...lol

RS any news yet?? I am nervous waiting for you to post, have no idea how you are coping!

Sorry OSS, the appt is Friday :laugh: I will check in tomorrow when I know (and before no doubt, a nervous wreck like ness was!)

Reports from Dad this morning were she has been quiet in her crate all morning then when he took her out for a wee she wanted to sunbake so he left her out there in the smaller part of the yard by herself. Then he went to work, Mum came home from work and took over 2nd shift and she was fine in her crate, but will be let out into the loungeroom with her bed with mum for the afternoon. So she is being well looked after :)

I'll be taking Millie to training tonight and leaving Ruby home, poor Millie has been suffering lack of exercise too due to keeping Ruby quiet and me being sick at the start of the week.