Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Morning WA DOLers.

I thought I'd introduce my new(ish) arrival...introducing 'Kyte' my little Aussie. We are also hoping to do obedience and agility in the future. She is 6 1/2 months old although I've only had her since she was 5 months, unfortunately she didn't have the ideal start to life but seems to be settling in well. A very different dog to train than a Siberian Husky, that's for sure!

post-36841-0-85935400-1314923006_thumb.jpg

post-36841-0-52360800-1314923014_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tumbleweed

Guest RosieFT

congratulations Candice - that is HUGE. :-) Funnily enough we have to write a (short) report on SA culture for TAFE and it made me revisit and realise what a mess the country is going to be in for a looooooooong time. Celebration time :-)

Oh, and Gibbs is gorgeous so don't take this the wrong way.. but the photo of him sitting, reminds me of jaaba da hut (or however you spell it!) from star wars LOL

A bit OT (and I did post it first in OT! :)) but my darling daughter has decided that she would like her ears pierced. Does anyone have any recommendations for a piercer in Perth who is great with kids and does a good job? Any advice, tips etc greatly appreciated (especially in regards to chemist piercing vs professional piercing places)!

Oh, and I'm considering getting a cartilage piercing myself at the same time so any advice on that too would be great, thanks! :o

Edited by Poo-Fong

Hey PF - My sister got my nieces ears pierced in Fremantle... i cant remember the name of it, but they do ears from 6 months of age. They were great with kids (there was a little girl having her ears done before my niece). They do all sorts of piercings too so it should be fine to get your one done as well.

I'll see if i can get the name of it... there are loads in Freo i am sure!!

Hey PF - My sister got my nieces ears pierced in Fremantle... i cant remember the name of it, but they do ears from 6 months of age. They were great with kids (there was a little girl having her ears done before my niece). They do all sorts of piercings too so it should be fine to get your one done as well.

Thanks ST - we decided that she could get them done when she was old enough to make the decision herself whether she wanted her ears pierced or not and out of the blue at breakfast this morning she asked if she could :D

I would really appreciate the name of the place your sister & niece went to, thanks!

Hi Westralians! I was hoping someone could help me out :)

The beach we take our dogs to was covered in little jelly things this morning (down Rockingham way :(). They were mainly clear with blue masses on one side and the bigger ones had a single long blue stinger. Of course if I google 'blue' and 'jellyfish' I just get bluebottles and Qld sites, but they seem to be all over blue whereas these were mostly clear.

Does anyone know what these are? I didn't get a photo but this seems to be them - Link. Are they just baby bluebottles or something else?

I think my kelpie girl and I were both stung, she seems fine now, she just stopped and licked her paw peridically while we were still on the beach (keeping an eye on her tho). I have a bit of stinging on one toe but it's subsiding, I was just hoping for a bit more information.

Thanks!

hi Weasels - I am not sure what they are but that doesn't sound good at all!! I take my dogs to Kwinana beach and I might have to avoid it until the jellyfish bugger off.

i hope that you and your girl are ok... would love to know what they are if you work it out. Maybe try googling WA jellyfish species or something and maybe some pics will come up of the one you saw?

this link has a photo of one similar to the photo you posted... appears to be a bluebottle

Thanks ST - we decided that she could get them done when she was old enough to make the decision herself whether she wanted her ears pierced or not and out of the blue at breakfast this morning she asked if she could :D

I would really appreciate the name of the place your sister & niece went to, thanks!

I got my belly pierced at The Piercing Place in Freo. Besides it hurting like hell eek1.gif it went smoothly.

I remember getting my ears done at the chemist all those years ago, it was the place to go! laugh.gif

hi Weasels - I am not sure what they are but that doesn't sound good at all!! I take my dogs to Kwinana beach and I might have to avoid it until the jellyfish bugger off.

i hope that you and your girl are ok... would love to know what they are if you work it out. Maybe try googling WA jellyfish species or something and maybe some pics will come up of the one you saw?

this link has a photo of one similar to the photo you posted... appears to be a bluebottle

Thanks SparkyTansy! I had a look at that page but it didn't seem to clear to me which photo went with which description :confused: Fortunately both OH and I are at home today so we can keep a close eye on our girl.

Edited by Weasels

PF i will definitely find out, but I have a feeling it was the piercing place... My sister went there because they were one of the places that did young babies - they were very good with making sure the placement was correct and wouldnt do it if her ears weren't the right size...

I remember having mine done at the chemist too - hurt like hell from what I remember!!

I also found this PDF i hope the link works... it might help.

Thanks again ST! I only skimmed over that one before since it said 'tropical', but re-reading it does sound like they might have been baby blubottles. I always thought they were a Qld/Nth NSW thing, but then I was never a beach person until I got dogs. A poor 16 week old pup that was with us got stung too :(

I think I will stick to the park for a while now too. As if the blowfish and porcupinefish weren't enough to worry about :rolleyes:

Edited by Weasels