Strange Training Rewards....

ness

Ok I was just downstairs doing some training - initiated by my youngster and all that was out in the room we were training in was a sock. She was more than happy to use that as a "reward". Made me wonder what strange rewards others might have used in the past. I know in her case I could use anything but I also know some dogs are only interested in certain peculiar rewards - i.e. I know from Susan Garrett's blog that one of her dogs (Decaff) went mad for the chance to chase a fly swatter.

So what out of the usual ordinary items have others used as rewards?

Edited by ness

Not me, but I came across this clip while searching Seesaw performances - this person uses a broom as a reward :thumbsup:

I'm not all that inventive - have used socks, sticks and plastic drink bottles and (with Zoe) chasing birds (naughty I know :) )

Edited by Kavik

Hmm thats not so strange my older girl will quite happily work for frozen peas and capsicum :thumbsup: . Mum took her to training one year and she would take a variety of things - cut up pear etc. Ah well I guess she is just food motivated to the extreme :) .

While Oscar is only interested if tastes and smells really good, Brydee will get worked up over a matchstick while in drive. While she does react more strongly with certain objects, she still gets very worked up over very little, as long as the concept of the game is still the same.

Sometimes I use these "Claytons" objects to actually build drive.

I have rewarded Erik with a brush down his back. He goes weak at the knees. It's hilarious! I have also rewarded him by picking him up for a happy hug, just speaking to him, raw sweet potato skins, and rabbit poo. He will pretty much work for anything. :thumbsup:

I've been using the feather duster for Zuma recently since he seems to be obsessed by it - every time I open the cupboard where it's kept he stares at ever hopeful I'll either get it out or it'll fall out for him - at least we're getting some stay practice happening so I can actually use the it for it's intended purpose!!

River goes nuts over the hose so I use that as a reward with him pretty often and had a bit of success with a super soaker as well but it's not quite as good as the hose apparently.

Kei loves tissues, his eye's just light up when he sees one lol.

I haven't worked out how to use them successfully as a reward yet though, if I give it to him he eats it ;)

Nice one, SecretKei - now there's a reward you CAN take into the ring with you. :laugh:

The feather duster is good. I have an old cheap synthetic one, which has made its way into Rory's toy stash. It made a perfect target for him to go to when I started some jump training with him the other night.

And yesterday he was besotted with a plastic water bottle with some water still in it. He was carrying it round iwth him for ages as we were packing up - and was so excited by it I let him keep it in his crate for the trip home. :laugh:

At Ella's first show in baby puppy I turned up with out any bait by accident. So I showed her using a peice of grass, worked a treat! But I think Ella is much like Kenzie, if I pick something up it suddenly becomes a potential prey item!

Yep I think that is part of it Seita - we went for a walk one day and I had deliberately not taken a ball along because I wanted to go for a walk without being constantly hounded for a ball. Well she went nose down tail up and I happened to drop a tiny piece of paper out of my pocket - one of my agility numbers that I had put in there and she was happy to retrieve that.