How Does Your Dog Singal He Needs To Go Out For A Wee?

Snowball

Zero comes into the room and stares at me. If I don't respond, he puts his head in my lap and when i go to pat him, he walks out of the room, makes sure I'm following him and then goes to the back door.

When we move I'm teaching him to ring a bell - it's not practical in my current house.

Each dog is different but as others have said, until your pup is reliably trained, don't try to teach them a signal to go outside.

Ruby (mixed breed) usually goes to the door and barks (just a couple of barks). Lilly (greyhound) and Molly (mini foxie) both get "playful" and start going a little bonkers, running in circles, play-bowing etc, so we know to let them out. Generally we have a schedule: first thing, before leaving the house, as soon as we get home, after dinner. If we're home all day, we might put them outside an extra visit or two but we ALWAYS make sure they go to the toilet. If they go out and lay in the sun, we are pretty sure they don't need to go, but we give the commands anyway...just in case. :rolleyes:

Molly also has a puppy pad or two down if we're out all day. She can in theory hold it all day (when we're home) but when we're not here, she might get a bit anxious and so needs to go. Much better she does this somewhere appropriate. I just wouldn't recommend it for a bigger breed for obvious reasons! :rofl:

All our dogs if during the day will go to the back door if they need to toilet, and during the night they know that there is no toilet break, we will not be controlled and woken to toilet them, if a dog gets into a routine of being toileted during the night then they will keep waking you up,

big dogs here & a doggy door & no security issues

Dane sized door here and no issue.

Good luck to them i say if they want to put their head through the door :)

So where can I find 'big' dog doors? I have wanted to install one in the security door for a while now but as yet I've only been able to find small to medium sized doors :laugh:

I don't quite need a dane sized door but I do need a fairly big one :o

Tango is always under my feet when I'm inside, so if he disappears I go looking for him and usually find him lying in front of the door waiting for me to open it - fortunately he hasn't worked out that all he needs to do is stand up and lean on the handle.......in the middle of the night he just needs to be restless and doing circuits around the bed to be let out.....

Mine are all different. The dalmatian will get really figety and will not sit down and will go and stand at the door. The beagle will scratch at the door and the greyhound will wine at me. If I'm asleep and don't wake up straight away she will put her face in my face and whine really loudly, that wakes me up no problems :thumbsup:

ours are older now so we know their pattern and of course they can hold on

having a bitch even though shes desexed helps cos theyall trot and wait in line to pee over her patch

as pups we talk them out

some as frequently as every fifteen minutes

now theyre all different

one doesnt tell us at all...just seems to hang on when the others go and stand by the door

one does paw at the bedroom door but not at the sliding door to go outside..he kinda does this woofling sound...

we didnt teach any of them anything ...for the most when we are at home the door is open to the yard anyway

if you taught your dog to speak then you could transfer this skill to standing by the door and giving a sharp bark

Very interesting thread :laugh: Our puppy arrives today so its great to read the replies, hopefully if I know what to look out for I won't miss too many cues!!

Our rescue dog could hang on forever I think (especially if its raining outside!) otherwise he just gets a bit restless and looks at you with a really sad face :rofl:

Dane sized door here and no issue.

Good luck to them i say if they want to put their head through the door :rofl:

So where can I find 'big' dog doors? I have wanted to install one in the security door for a while now but as yet I've only been able to find small to medium sized doors :laugh:

I don't quite need a dane sized door but I do need a fairly big one :p

We just got an extra large one (large one was much much smaller, it was a big jump from large to extra large!) from Better Pets & Gardens, they have 10% off at the minute nr us in wa. I've seen them in City Farmers and Bunnings too although the bunnings one was a little cheaper it came in two pieces so not sure if that would affect the security side :rofl:

This is the brand we've got http://www.piginmud.com.au/joomla/index.ph...4&Itemid=40

Our ridgie pup arrives today :rofl::rofl: :D

Edited by Daydreamer