How Does Your Dog Singal He Needs To Go Out For A Wee?

Snowball

we are trying to toilet train our goldie, but sometimes we will miss the opportunity and a 10 -15 min. after having taken her outside she will wee/poo next to the door. So it seems she tried to go out, but obviously couldnt and we didnt notice.

She will end up a big golden retriever (if her mum is anything to go by) so not too sure about a doggy door from the security/saftey aspect, how does your dog let you know he /she needs to go out? Scratch? bark (dont want to go down that route, as I dont want her to start barking) and how did you train her/him to do so?

We are investigating a bell, where she can step on it and let us know she wants to go out? any ideas/links hugely appreciated

snowball

my guys both cry when they want out. As puppies i taught them if they cried, they would get taken outside, EVERY time, now they will just come up to me if i am in bed and cry, or stand at the door and cry so I know they need to go out.

If your pup is still young- then it is YOURresponsibilty to take her out frequently...MAKE sure she goes..yes, you may need to stand still for 20 minutes... so she does not have to toilet indoors. keep her in the room with you..use baby gates, or have her onlead. That way you WILL notice what she's doing...

I agree with persephone, if your golden is still a young pup then she will still be having lots of accidents, even up to 4 to 5 months (though should be ok at 3 months). :rofl:

I have various responses from my dogs. My Saluki will make wooowooo noises at me while I'm asleep. Once I wake up she rushes to the bed to make sure I am awake & when she knows she has my attention will run to the back door. Most of the others will just stand at the door but if I don't notice they will come & scratch at my leg & when they have my attention will run to the back door.

When my Deerhounds were inside all the time (they now slep outside) I had a long strand of bells hanging near the door & they learnt to move them if they wanted out. (The strands you can buy - from Indian shops & bazaars etc. - are only a metre long so we tied two together to almost reach the floor).

Morty runs to the back door and looks back over his shoulder - if you didn't notice him doing it he runs to wherever you are, stares at you and then runs to the back door - if you still don't get it he will resort to whining ..... he came up with this by himself

Mine scratch if I am slow to notice, but normally the Shar Pei, gets fidgity so thats his sign, the Rotti will hang on until I put her out, but if its urgent they will scratch

Sooty does similar to what Morty does but she doesn't whine so I don't really know what she would do if she got to the point of busting and we still weren't paying attention! It took quite a long time to toilet train Sooty (wees only) but once she got it there was no looking back, we haven't had an accident since.

as youngsters, you just need to keep a really close eye on them albeit it can be time consuming !

Our training was by no means perfect and we are novice owners, but up until 4 months or more I never didn't know where our boy was. He was either in sight, or in his crate; just too much possibility of accidents, whether toilet or just general tendency to seek and destroy anything.

Ours runs quite quickly to the door but has never cried etc. Now that he's older we just know that at 'regular' times, he will just need to go so make sure he has the chance to go out, whether that's leaving the door open a bit for him to nudge it wide enough, or just opening it every few hours in case he needs to.

From my time running an email list specifically for house-training I would have to say one of the most common causes of problems is owners who look for signals rather than utilising a sensible schedule to take their pup out to toilet. It's not that the pups don't give signals, it's just that often a novice puppy raiser will miss them, or only pick them up when it's too late.

If you want to teach a signal, wait until your pup is housetrained FIRST. There are several practical reasons for this, but perhaps the best is that you need to keep things simple until he is house-trained.

I have varied responses from mine in needing to to out to the loo, my oldest used to go to the door and cry, the next oldest goes to the door or to me and barks, (she only barks if she wants out or the loo) my youngest girl was brilliant with going to the door at a very early age but if we didnt see her she would just pee at the door so we got a bell tied it to the door and she now rings the bell, took her two goes to figure it out and she also rings the bell to let us know the cat is sitting outside wanting to come in :cheer: my OH didnt believe the bell would work but I recommend it to anyone, its great so my youngest learnt at a very early age bell means I come to let him out. Now my oldest rings the bell as well. But the funny thing is the bell is tied to the front door and I used to let them out there on a lead but now that they are older they go out the back, i didnt bother moving the bell and they just know ring the bell and then go to the back door so it still works a treat.. I use like a mini cow type bell as I wanted it to have the deeper tone so it would wake me at night as one of mine (the one that just sat by the door waiting) usually goes out at least once during the night but the others all sleep through. She is funny too if she is busting or if I dont get up to let her out immediatly the bell gets louder and louder :D

All I did to teach her is when she was due to go out I just taped her foot on the bell everytime and strait out and that was one evening and the next evening she was doing it by herself.

I have a doggy door in my security screen, so I can just pull and lock the glass door when needed.

Before doggy door, Cory would just sniff around. I saw him sniffing around the carpet, and he'd be straight outside. Now we have the door he comes and goes as he pleases, and haven't had an accident for over a month (and no more flies!!!!!) :laugh:

Good luck

The sliding door is always open for Charlie to go in and out. If they door is close, he will sit in front of the door and whinges till someone opens the door for him. If that doesn't work, he will sit there and bark very loudly.